Guo or Esteve

Weaver

Guo or Esteve

Post by Weaver » Fri May 10, 2019 10:16 pm

I have been looking for a new guitar for several months. Today, I played two new (as in not used) guitars. One is a Guo Chamber Concert, spruce top ($3000) and an Esteve 12, spruce top ($2500). I solicit your thoughts and opinions. I am a low intermediate player. Thank you.

souldier

Re: Guo or Esteve

Post by souldier » Fri May 10, 2019 10:40 pm

Can you give us your personal impressions since you got to play both?
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Weaver

Post by Weaver » Fri May 10, 2019 11:53 pm

The Esteve had plenty of volume. The trebles were clear and bright. The Guo certainly has volume but the trebles were not quite as bright, the workmanship was a little more refined on the Guo. Playability was good on both. I understand with both being spruce they will open up with time.

Tonit

Post by Tonit » Sat May 11, 2019 1:04 am

What about the strings? Did they have the same strings, or did they both have nylons at least?
I liked Esteves I have tried so far (5 and up I recall), with the Spanish guitar characteristics shared with other Spanish makes, that is as you mentioned, volume.
With any other make than Spanish ones, I really can't go fff at the climax of the tunes you play with the tone quality that I desire.
That had been my key frustration at concerts with other guitarists, while the spectator said I was as good.
Maybe it's just me, but the doubletops I tried were loud but felt like different instruments from classical guitar, and they were quite pricey.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat May 11, 2019 2:19 am

Weaver wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:53 pm
The Esteve had plenty of volume. The trebles were clear and bright. The Guo certainly has volume but the trebles were not quite as bright, the workmanship was a little more refined on the Guo. Playability was good on both. I understand with both being spruce they will open up with time.
I am pretty sure Esteve will sustain the improve as it aged. For Guo guitar i seriously doubt so... the chinese is good in workmanship etc... but when come to sound i always havs a big question mark over it. Perhaps that explains many Guo buyer decides to sell their guitar just after playing it for 1-2 year.

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Sat May 11, 2019 3:42 pm

The Esteve Model 12 is one that I hope to be able to try out at some point, so I'm biased in favor of it. But, I realize that that is just an opinion without factual experience on my part. Although, I've seen/heard some video examples of Esteve Model 12 on YT that were very good indeed. The Adalid shop makes very good guitars.

If anyone has personal experiences regarding the Esteve Model 12, I too would love to hear about them. :)

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sat May 11, 2019 4:27 pm

Fan braces or nothing...

Guo is a tin can guitar...If you want tin can sound that's Guo.

I don't want to sound anything like a modern artists. Classical guitar should sound sweet and warm. Pushing the treble and midrange to crunchy extremes with floppy tops is the dumbest idea in the craft of building guitars that I have ever heard and seen.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Sat May 11, 2019 4:51 pm

You have to judge each guitar on it's own, by how it sounds and plays, and not generalize about its construction and thus it's characteristics.

How many Guo Chamber Concerts are being made each year? I suspect many, judging by how many new ones are available for sale all over the world. I am sure Mr Guo did not make all of them, he has a lot of help. I have tried 3 Guo Chamber Concerts about 3 years ago, 2 new, one used. Of the 2 new ones, I liked one of them, the other I didn't. The used one was terrible. I did not buy one, didn't like it enough. I am sure some of them are really good. You'll just have to be patient and find a good one.

Realstaff

Post by Realstaff » Sat May 11, 2019 5:14 pm

I played both a Guo and and Esteve/Adalid membrane side by side, the Guo was awful . The Adalid was fantastic.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sat May 11, 2019 5:45 pm

I have not played the upper model Esteve's but they seem to have carbon braces so are not totally traditional either. Is it for sure they have fan braces and not a lattice pattern? If they do, they can sound great too, of course.

Dmitrypey

Post by Dmitrypey » Sat May 11, 2019 7:12 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:27 pm
Fan braces or nothing...

Guo is a tin can guitar...If you want tin can sound that's Guo.

I don't want to sound anything like a modern artists. Classical guitar should sound sweet and warm. Pushing the treble and midrange to crunchy extremes with floppy tops is the dumbest idea in the craft of building guitars that I have ever heard and seen.
I hope that your post was a joke.
2B8CE747-DEAC-4029-8461-2FF86FADA2EB.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun May 12, 2019 3:42 am

SteveL123 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:51 pm
You have to judge each guitar on it's own, by how it sounds and plays, and not generalize about its construction and thus it's characteristics.

How many Guo Chamber Concerts are being made each year? I suspect many, judging by how many new ones are available for sale all over the world. I am sure Mr Guo did not make all of them, he has a lot of help. I have tried 3 Guo Chamber Concerts about 3 years ago, 2 new, one used. Of the 2 new ones, I liked one of them, the other I didn't. The used one was terrible. I did not buy one, didn't like it enough. I am sure some of them are really good. You'll just have to be patient and find a good one.
I know how his workshop works, you are right that most of his guitar not produced by him. He hired group of worker to mass produce it... and some even sub contract to other chinese luthiers, that is why you find the quality is inconsistent.

zavaletas

Post by zavaletas » Wed May 15, 2019 1:37 pm

I'd recommend the Esteve. They are well made and consistent.
James, Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras

MrSteve

Post by MrSteve » Wed May 15, 2019 8:08 pm

I owned a Guo chamber concert (cedar) for several years. What I eventually realized was that the technical mechanics of a fan braced guitar is what continuously draws me into the sound I prefer in classical guitar.

The guo is loud, it is a cannon. But ultimately for me it was not my guitar that I always picked up.

I used to play a Pavan Tp30, supposedly built by the Esteve factory. While not the same quality as #12, I always found it (the pavan) easy to play,
2016 Chris Sobel Luthier Guitar Cedar/Madagascar Rosewood
2007 Darren Hippner Hauser SP/BRW
Yamaha SLG130NW Classical Silent

2012 Yulong Guo Chamber Concert Double Top SP/EIRW (SOLD)

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu May 16, 2019 1:04 pm

MrSteve wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:08 pm
I owned a Guo chamber concert (cedar) for several years. What I eventually realized was that the technical mechanics of a fan braced guitar is what continuously draws me into the sound I prefer in classical guitar.

The guo is loud, it is a cannon. But ultimately for me it was not my guitar that I always picked up.

I used to play a Pavan Tp30, supposedly built by the Esteve factory. While not the same quality as #12, I always found it (the pavan) easy to play,
Same feedback from many Guo owners i know... the sound may blow you away initially but will not be able to sustain further when you feel the guitar has the lack of soul of a true classical guitar.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”