Spruce or Cedar, what do you like & - why?

Beowulf

Re: Spruce or Cedar, what do you like & - why?

Post by Beowulf » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:41 pm

Bracing design and execution will also influence the clarity, projection and tonal character.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

dta721

Post by dta721 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:03 am

Beowulf wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:41 pm
Bracing design and execution will also influence the clarity, projection and tonal character.
+1
If you have not read this article on bracing, you'd most likely enjoy it:
http://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/br ... l-guitars/

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:41 am

dta721 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:03 am
+1
If you have not read this article on bracing, you'd most likely enjoy it:
http://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/br ... l-guitars/
Thanks...a very nice, informative article by Marcus Dominelli. If you go to the English section of orfeomagazine, there is also a good article on soundboards by Daniel Friederich...just look for the downloadable supplement to Issue #2.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Kenro

Post by Kenro » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:30 pm

Personally I prefer spruce top more :) , for my taste cedar top sounds "dark", one day I tried a La Patrie Concert and when playing it I did not feel as much enjoyment as when I played Yamaha C40, which was interesting given the La Patrie Concert is an all - solid wood guitar in comparison to all - laminate C40. By the way I saw someone wrote that cedar top guitar tends to produce less squeak so I guess depending on the need (for example when someone wants to record a song), that person may find a cedar top guitar more desireable.
Check out my classical guitar arrangement for Schumann's Träumerei (in original key): https://youtu.be/n4QulIit2FU
Guitar: Alhambra 4PA

dta721

Post by dta721 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:59 pm

Beowulf wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:41 am
... If you go to the English section of orfeomagazine, there is also a good article on soundboards by Daniel Friederich...just look for the downloadable supplement to Issue #2.
I found and downloaded the PDF document "The classical guitar soundboards and their bracing: The luthier´s dilemma - symmetry or asymmetry in the structural design of the soundboards", a paper from the Symposium "Acoustics and ancient instruments: construction, music and science"! Wow, even more enjoyable reading! Thanks :okok: !

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:24 pm

dta721 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:59 pm
Beowulf wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:41 am
... If you go to the English section of orfeomagazine, there is also a good article on soundboards by Daniel Friederich...just look for the downloadable supplement to Issue #2.
I found and downloaded the PDF document "The classical guitar soundboards and their bracing: The luthier´s dilemma - symmetry or asymmetry in the structural design of the soundboards", a paper from the Symposium "Acoustics and ancient instruments: construction, music and science"! Wow, even more enjoyable reading! Thanks :okok: !
Great! :mrgreen:

P.S. Dominelli's reference to the "treble bar" used by José Ramirez III should include a nod to Santos Hernandez who introduced a downward slanting harmonic bar as early as 1923. This influenced both Fleta and José Ramirez III.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

John Stone

Post by John Stone » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:04 pm

Neumsky wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:51 am
The Great Christopher Parkening prefers cedar. He say's in one of his methods...if I want the sound of spruce...I play closer to the bridge! :bravo:
It's really worth considering Parkening's point. I was a hard-core spruce guy until I discovered that I can get very spruce-like sounds out of my cedar Ramirez 1a by altering my attack on the guitar.
2001 Manuel Velazquez
1977 Ramirez 1a
2014 Cordoba C10
They said, "You have a blue guitar, You do not play things as they are." The man replied, "Things as they are / Are changed upon the blue guitar."

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:55 pm

I have 4 Spruce top guitars, 3 Cedar top guitars and 1 double top guitar with lattice bracing.

When I play guitar, I will check the repertoire style first. Then I use close-fit guitar, the fittest. Sometimes the spruce, sometimes the cedar...

It is better that everyone has cedar top and spruce top with different styles: fan bracing, lattice bracing, double top, Torres, modern...
2014 Otto Vowinkel Concert 650, Cedar/Brazilian Rosewood
2015 Juan Hernandez Torres 640, Spruce/Indian Rosewood
2016 German V. Rubio Concert 635, Spruce/Flamed Maple
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 630, Double Top(Spruce/Cedar)/Flamed Maple

djqsrv

Post by djqsrv » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:22 pm

I think I prefer spruce but the most beautiful sounding guitar I have heard was a cedar doubletop. Kind of the best of both worlds had the warm cedar sound but it was still on the tight side like spruce.
But really as long as the sound is not muddy or tubby I’m good to go with either.
“I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.“ - Jimi Hendrix

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”