Fernandes Grand concert, value for money?

Mikko Helenius

Fernandes Grand concert, value for money?

Post by Mikko Helenius » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:33 am

I have been bumping into the brand Fernandes Grand concert guitars on e - b a y there are models 10, 20 ,30 and 50 or was it 70. Has any of you actually tried one these guitars? Or have anything to say about those? I am bit interested about the model 30:

Specifications given by the seller:
Top: High Grade Solid Spruce supported by the fan of 6 braces (French Polish)
Back and Sides: Solid or High Grade Solid-like Laminated Rosewood (French Polish)
Neck: Mahogany
Fingerboard: Is sleek like Ebony, but it also could be Ebonized Rosewood
Headstock with original Gold-plated Tuning Machines and square cut peg box (such additions never appear on low grade Japanese made guitars)
Scale: 650 mm
Nut width: 52 mm
Saddle and nut: Factory Installed Bone (never installed on low grade Japanese made guitars)

In the postings the seller gives some information about Fernandes classical guitars:

This guitar was made by Fernandes Co. sometime in late 1970 ties. During this decade, knowing that most of their exported high grade guitars were simply too expensive for Japanese students, Japanese guitar makers, including Fernandes company, were building high quality guitars stripped of any unnecessary ornamental features in order to make them more affordable

As I have just learned, the person responsible for the production of classical guitars for Fernandes Co. was Master Luthier Kazuo Toshi, who left company in 1990 to start his own workshop. He has developed special wood treatment technique enhancing by 40% wood’s ability to vibrate by 40%. In the chemical process, treated with formaldehyde wood cells are bonded together much stronger than on untreated wood. This treated wood has commercial name of “Super Wood”.
Kazuo Toshi is today one of highest regarded luthiers in Japan and sells his guitars under nick name Kazuo Ichiyanagi at pretty high prices ($2000 - $5000).

FERNANDES
Instruments currently produced in Japan, China, Korea, and Taiwan. Distributed by Fernandes Guitars/Kaysound Imports Inc. in Champlain, NY. Fernandes has been producing guitars since 1969.
In 1969, Fernandes Company Ltd. (based in Tokyo, Japan) was established to produce quality classical guitars at an affordable price. Over the next twenty years, Fernandes expanded the line and became one of the largest selling guitar manufacturers in the world. Fernandes is the number one selling guitar in Japan, and at times has held as much as 40% of the Japanese market.
In late 1992, Fernandes Company Ltd. began distributing their entire line of guitars to the U.S. market as Fernandes Guitars U.S.A., Inc. Fernandes Company Ltd. uses only the top facilities located in Japan, Taiwan, China, and Korea to produce their guitars. Once the factory is done manufacturing the guitars, they are shipped to the United States where they are inspected and set up again.
Even though Fernandes started out building classical guitars, by the time they were available in the U.S. they had stopped producing them. The first acoustic guitar to show up for Fernandes wasn't until 1997 with the FAA-500. This model evolved into the Reyna, while the Palisade series was introduced in 1999. Fernandes discontinued all acoustic guitars in 2004. In 2006, they reintroduced a small line of Palisade guitars. Up until 2006, Fernandes was distributed by Fernandes Guitars International Inc., in Chatsworth, CA and in 2007, Fernandes Guitars/Kaysound Imports Inc. became the exclusive distributor. For more information, visit Fernandes' website, or contact them directly (see Trademark Index).

Fernandes "Grand Concert" classical guitar 12:14 on Friday, April 15, 2005 0 votes
(CAY) 
I bought it on e - b a y..
It looks like "Made in Japan" and I was told that it`s about 30 years old. Not sure if the Fernandes is the "Fernandes" which makes electric guitars. Has perfect finishing and details. Sound is bright and loud just like other Japan-made guitars (no problem to play in a concert hall with it!).
I would like to know if anyone saw this model before.
I bought it with $500USD in an auction. The low price is because few people have seen classical guitars from "Fernandes". However, it in fact sounds and plays like a concert level guitar! (I have a $2000USD guitar that sounds like a sick cat before this monster). The sound is so loud that my neighbors will hate me if I play those boring exercises on it after 10:00 PM!

Adam S. Vernon

Re: Fernandes Grand concert, value for money?

Post by Adam S. Vernon » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:12 pm

Congrats. Sounds like a good find.

Mikko Helenius

Post by Mikko Helenius » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:08 pm

As it turned out I did bought that guitar to try it out. Here is a slideshow with some pics and audio sample.

[media]https://youtu.be/ut4j5WOcV_A[/media]

Supperconductor

Post by Supperconductor » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:49 pm

Sounds very nice, thanks for sharing and congrats on your find.
- Kam

2012 Hippner Hauser SP/IR
[Savarez Corum 500R Normal Basses
La Bella RN-L Rectified Nylon Light Trebles]

tammle1e

Post by tammle1e » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:01 pm

I really think Fernandes along with Cervantes are the two brands that offer most value for money. No other guitar brands beat these two at 600$ range. This comes from someone who has tried many other different Japanese brands ( Nakade, Sakurai,Kohno, Imai and other Domestic brands...) I also just recently acquire a new Fernandes GC 30 and am very happy with what I've got. Great volume and balance, powerful bass and very neutral trebles, just what I need for my backup practice guitar. Got it fot 250. The lower GCs are usually Takamines copies of some sort. The higher models like the GC 80 is made with Kazuo Toshi styles. I'll post both models so that you guys have something to compare. Mine (GC 30) was made in 1975. Both guitars are in wonderful conditions and the tops grains are very nice too. The GC 80 is very Spainish sounding in terms of trebles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”