Asturias guitars

shockpoint

Asturias guitars

Post by shockpoint » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi Campers,

I've not been able to find much information on Asturias guitars. They don't seem to have much of a following outside Japan. Even then there aren't a lot of clips on youtube by the Japanese. Yes I've tried searching the forum.

Essentially I've narrowed down my selections to an asturias and a cervantes. I haven't really decided which model but both of these brands seem to offer some bang for buck. I have indeed considered luthier made guitars, but i already have an investment in steel string luthier makes so a nylon one would be out of budget...

I don't really dare splurge on the asturias because I know so little about it. If any one here has played this brand before could you please tell me about how it sounds in general relative to the cervantes or ramirez brands? I get the feeling from limited clips on youtube that asturias tend to sound overbuilt? They sound fat and round but the note decays so quickly you can't say flash. So here's a sample. Tell me if it's just the microphone making it sound flat or it really is like that. I just can't hear that Spanish twang.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RVkgYOpS5nE

Here is the one I'm interested in. It's an asturias solo Classico. Again, mic problem or really flat?!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rumk_QBKz_U

Between a ramirez, asturias and a cervantes, which would you recommend?

Cheers

Dillon

melliebird

Re: Asturias guitars

Post by melliebird » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:00 pm

could be the sound decay is due to the player's technique. Have
you tried playing all 3 guitars to see which one you like better?

waikuentsui

Post by waikuentsui » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:02 pm

Dillon:

You can read the following post which contains some information on Asturias.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59859&hilit=matano

Once in a while, you will see one of these Asturias guitars come up in the big auction site.
I have seen the asking price ranges from $300 - $3,000 depending on the conditions and models of the guitar.

I believe you can still buy new Asturias in US via a US dealer Guitar Salon International.
I cannot give you any recommendations on the different brands because I have not played all the brands you suggested.
I do have an Asturias AST-50. It is a very nice sounding guitar, to my ears anyway.

Good luck in your journey in finding a nice classical guitar.
waikuentsui

shockpoint

Post by shockpoint » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:34 am

@David - I can't really, as the closest guitar store is like 3 days drive from my place :( Only online...besides Australia doesn't stock either of these brands

@waikuentsui - Yes I've read that thread already. But I am not sure if any of them play any of the more popular brands so I have no way of doing some sort of comparison.

Does an Asturias sound anything like a Ramirez? Or is it on the other side of the spectrum, more of a German sound?

Thanks all :discussion:

Dil

waikuentsui

Post by waikuentsui » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:21 am

shockpoint:

My suggestion is "Try not to get fixated on certain brands"
If you know the "Sound" that you are after, plan a trip to major cities or even Japan as a holiday and then try playing as many guitars as you can.
Currently, I have two Yamaha, one older and lower model; the other newer and higher model.
The older & lower model actually sounds a lot better that the newer one.
I am still trying to find out why.

I think guitars are like people. They may have the same parents, but siblings are all different.

Cheers.
waikuentsui

PS right now, there is a Japan Yahoo listing for an Asturias AST-30 for $10 USD

shockpoint

Post by shockpoint » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:42 am

@waikuentsui Good advice. My 50 dollar yamaha plays better than my 200 dollar one.

I think I might go with an Asturias...after listening to those clips I posted again, I realised that the first part of that Custom 01 model was actually very fat in terms of tone. If it were a Ramirez I think it would be sharper and darker. The fatness makes it sound very unique.

I'm actually looking at Asturias mid range ones, the ones that go for around 2-3k. Called Solo Classicos or something.

Cheers guys, if anyone out there has played an Asturias base model and owns a Cervantes, please do give some input! I'd love to hear your opinions

Dil

Beth F-R

Post by Beth F-R » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:14 pm

shockpoint wrote:Hi Campers,

I've not been able to find much information on Asturias guitars. They don't seem to have much of a following outside Japan. Even then there aren't a lot of clips on youtube by the Japanese. Yes I've tried searching the forum.

Essentially I've narrowed down my selections to an asturias and a cervantes. I haven't really decided which model but both of these brands seem to offer some bang for buck. I have indeed considered luthier made guitars, but i already have an investment in steel string luthier makes so a nylon one would be out of budget...

I don't really dare splurge on the asturias because I know so little about it. If any one here has played this brand before could you please tell me about how it sounds in general relative to the cervantes or ramirez brands? I get the feeling from limited clips on youtube that asturias tend to sound overbuilt? They sound fat and round but the note decays so quickly you can't say flash. So here's a sample. Tell me if it's just the microphone making it sound flat or it really is like that. I just can't hear that Spanish twang.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RVkgYOpS5nE

Here is the one I'm interested in. It's an asturias solo Classico. Again, mic problem or really flat?!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rumk_QBKz_U

Between a ramirez, asturias and a cervantes, which would you recommend?

Cheers

Dillon
Hi Dillon,
In the first clip, the guy has no nails, so I think that might be why it sounds "flat." In the second one, about 1/2 way through, I think the player is trying to sound muted, almost pizzicato -- to show a contrast from what he does at the beginning of the short clip. I agree that this clip does not show the guitar to its best advantage, but it's hard to tell, really.

I haven't played an Asturias, but I've usually liked what I've heard on YouTube.

Good luck,
Beth

shockpoint

Post by shockpoint » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:46 pm

@Beth - Cheers for the reply. Yeah it might be the recording. It sounds marvelously fat though!

On the other hand, I found that the guitar I was looking at had it's price upped just because the choice of wood was different. It was a 2000 dollar model sold at 3000 dollars because they used solid wood...I would feel a little cheated as IIRC that's a price you could get a pretty decent luthier made one...

Thanks guys for the great responses!

dil

dandan

Post by dandan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:32 am

Hi, I play an Asturias John mills model and I can tell you they are fantastic guitars. I haven't played the model you are thinking of but I have played a new Asturias Custom which was very nice. My guitar has a lovely warm tone, but also very clear trebles for a cedar top. I think its quite Spanish sounding for a Japanese made guitar. I have played a few Ramirez guitars (R4, 4E, 125 anos) and I picked my guitar over all of them. Also, I think Cervantes may be related to Asturias in some way. Maybe they made by M Matano who worked at Asturias. Could be wrong, never played one, just something I read somewhere. Happy hunting!
1966 Sakazo Nakade D
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1977 Aria AG80 (Masaru Takeiri)
1997 Hiroumi Yamaguchi A-I

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:21 pm

I used to have a 630mm Asturias - my brother expressed an interest in it, so I gave it to him indefinitely. You can see me play it if you do a YT search for, "lfufmnx georgia on my mind."

Jack Isidore

Post by Jack Isidore » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:42 pm

Hi - I own a Asturias AST-50 (Cedar Top) which was built around 1978. I bought it new, more than thirty years ago. Some months ago, I looked for a "better" guitar and so I did some comparisions. I was very impressed, how good my Asturias sounded, when I compared it to guitars up to 2000 EUR. I think, it has a really "spanish" sound - more on the dark side with very powerful basses and strong lower tones. Sometimes even a little too much for me. The nearest comparision tonewise was a Ramirez 125 anos, but I didn't think the Ramirez was really much better than my Asturias. I also found a good Guitar by Jaime Julia (a former ramirez luthier), which sounded close to my Asturias, perhaps a little bit better, but a very similar sound. But to get something really far out better, I would have to pay more than 3000 EUR. I also played a newer Asturias (sorry I've forgotten the model name) with spruce top which I didn't like. It sounded kind of "dead" to me. So perhaps the older Asturias are the better ones??
You can listen to some recordings of my own AST-50 here:
http://youtu.be/w4Bx_57dbXw
http://youtu.be/5y6Rptv540U
Regards,
Jack
Last edited by Jack Isidore on Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:53 am

Jack, I agree with you... I have a Asturias also built around the same period as yours, simply a beautiful Spanish sounding guitar. Yours is kept very well than mine.

Misfit Minstrel

Post by Misfit Minstrel » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:40 am

Hi,
I have an Asturias Custom 2006 spruce top. It is a very good guitar - at first it sounded a little dull but after playing it a few months it has opened really nicely. Very easy to play and sounds great with Augustine Imperial trebles.

Cheers,
Kimi

hippy

Post by hippy » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:47 am

Hey Guys
I'm new to this forum thing. Just bought myself an Asturias AST-30 ($350) it's an absolute dream of a guitar for me, I love it.
I think it was made in about 1981, but strangely I can't find any info on the guitar (though I did find this forum).
Can anyone throw any more light on my AST-30?

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:47 pm

Hi hippy. Welcome to the forum. I am sure we have a few old hippies here! :D

Please introduce yourself here.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”