Hand size

ashepps

Re: Hand size

Post by ashepps » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:01 pm

HNLim wrote:I believe these kids have their hand-stretch not more than 6" wide. https://youtu.be/5nMZdNZvEsI Why are they not complaining?
Lim,

If I started at that age I would hope someone would suggest a more suitable size, a smaller guitar would be much more advantageous.
And, if I started at that age I wonder how well I could play today!

These kids are fantastic but are playing in concert so mistakes are not apparent, but still, they are great.

I had a good friend that became professional guitarists and he bought a Ramirez 665 mm (?). He was fantastic before this point and after. Although he related to me that his well respected teacher asked him why he bought such a big guitar (he told me he wanted what Segovia? was playing) and that he should get a smaller one. Here is a guy that could play a 700 mm if they had one, Finally after 5 years he did buy a 650 and did say that it was much more enjoyable to play.

I hope I don't get flak for the comment on the children, they were great!

Cheers,

Alan :)
Alan Sheppard
1986 630mm Asturias JM-15 Spruce
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R
2015 650mm Yamaha SLG110N

George2ec

Post by George2ec » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:12 pm

HNLim wrote:I believe these kids have their hand-stretch not more than 6" wide.
https://youtu.be/5nMZdNZvEsI

Why are they not complaining?
Because they're kids...like kids they have flexibility and agility, me at 45 years I dont have neither ...even with the years these features goes losing. they stretch your hands easyly with no pain, I can do that but my muscles and tendons suffer, with risk to have any injury.

The trick aobut to put the capo on firts frets it's only like experiment or test in order to figure out if we play most comfortable with short scale, the short scale guitar has the neck and body more short in proportion, it's common to have neck widht at nut of 50mm on 640, 49-48 on 630, etc. the capo it's not a definitive solution, even to leave the capo always on the neck it's no good for the neck.

Regards.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:20 pm

ashepps wrote:We talked sometime ago about me having a catalog with your line of guitars in it. I came across it last night even before I saw this email and was going to ask you would like me to scan all the pages with your series, in color, and send them to you. Would you want them? The brochure, I guess you would cal. It has indications of 1986 or 1987, but yours is definitely there as the top of the line and the only one with the carved headstock. Just a my 20D was different in the D line and the top of the line had a different carved headstock.

Best regards,

Alan
Yes Alan, I will love to have them. Thanks I'm advance.

BTW I thought that Yamaha GC does not have fret markers.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
2006 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/ Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:33 pm

HNLim wrote:
ashepps wrote:We talked sometime ago about me having a catalog with your line of guitars in it. I came across it last night even before I saw this email and was going to ask you would like me to scan all the pages with your series, in color, and send them to you. Would you want them? The brochure, I guess you would cal. It has indications of 1986 or 1987, but yours is definitely there as the top of the line and the only one with the carved headstock. Just a my 20D was different in the D line and the top of the line had a different carved headstock.

Best regards,

Alan

The GC does not, but I always put a dot with the Whiteout on the 7th fret to help, they come off not showing a mark. can add more and di a few months ago when I was using the capo.

But, I was referring to my Silent Guitar that does have a lot of markers even 2 around high E that can confuse you when you are trying to do the many harmonics on the 12th fret of "Sounds of Bells" by Guimarees, fingerd by Sophocles Papas.

Give me time and I will get you that material, it is nice!

Alan
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:39 pm

ashepps wrote:
HNLim wrote:

Best regards,

Alan

The GC does not, but I always put a dot with the Whiteout on the 7th fret to help, they come off not showing a mark. can add more and di a few months ago when I was using the capo.

But, I was referring to my Silent Guitar that does have a lot of markers even 2 around high E that can confuse you when you are trying to do the many harmonics on the 12th fret of "Sounds of Bells" by Guimarees, fingerd by Sophocles Papas.

Alan
Lots of thanks.
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:18 pm

ashepps wrote:
HNLim wrote:

Best regards,

Alan

Alan
Hi Alan,

Does the GC10 looks like this on your catalogue?
Screenshot_2015-07-16-05-00-18_1.jpg
Lim HN
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:24 pm

[/quote]Hi Alan, Does the GC10 looks like this on your catalogue?
Screenshot_2015-07-16-05-00-18_1.jpg
Lim HN[/quote]

Lim,

It is very close, the headstock is different. The ones in the A series are all the same darkish brown except your headstock in shape alone.

I will try and get that to you first, is there a problem, it seems just the coloring is different on the headstock on the GC-10.

Alan
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

pug208

Post by pug208 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:09 am

There is a chapter "Guitar String Length (Scale)" in Jose Ramirez III's Things About the Guitar which I have found quite an interesting read.

Even the days of Jose Ramirez, there were already a lot of debates and discussions about this topic. According to Jose Ramirez III, he set the string length at 664 mm as a result of taking consideration of "capacity of the air in the body, the placement of the bridge, the diameter of the soundhole, the thickness of the internal structure, etc.,".

He went on and said it should not be a problem for someone who studies correctly.

Interesting thing he mentioned was Antonio Stradivarius (1649-1735) built a guitar dated 1688 with a 740 mm string length and it was exhibited in Ashomlean Museum in Oxford. He also mentioned Antonio Torres chose to build 650 mm was courageous for in those days he would not have access to references or information so much easier. Torres must have found the sweet spots to put everything together with this scale length and made a great sounding guitar.

Santos Hernadez adopted a 659 mm no wonder some of the early Grand Concert guitars made by Yamaha were 658 mm.

What crossed my mind after reading this chapter was focus should be on proper techniques before judging on a guitar.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:11 am

ashepps wrote:
Lim,

It is very close, the headstock is different. The ones in the A series are all the same darkish brown except your headstock in shape alone.

I will try and get that to you first, is there a problem, it seems just the coloring is different on the headstock on the GC-10.

Alan
Alan,

This is a 1967 model. It's Jacaranda B &.S.

Lim HN
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:36 am

HNLim wrote:
ashepps wrote:
Lim,

Alan
Alan,

This is a 1967 model. It's Jacaranda B &.S.

Lim HN
Lim, there we go with Yamaha playing with the same guitars and doing a cosmetic change and slightly different model number. It looks in every way, the best as I can see, the same as your A series except the stripe and color of the headstock! What do you think if my suggestion that myself and others have brought up before about that same issue - the way Yamaha did business?
Regards,
Alan
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm

ashepps wrote: Lim, there we go with Yamaha playing with the same guitars and doing a cosmetic change and slightly different model number. It looks in every way, the best as I can see, the same as your A series except the stripe and color of the headstock! What do you think if my suggestion that myself and others have brought up before about that same issue - the way Yamaha did business?
Regards,
Alan
Alan,

The 1974 to 1977 GC30A has exactly the same butterfly rosette, purflings & tuning machines as your GC20D. I suspect that Yamaha must have plentyo f the rosettes, purflings and tuning machine left over. It was only in 1978 that there were changed to what my guitar has.
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:20 am

Stevel:

People come in all shapes, sizes, abilities, flexibilities. I agree with George2ec, put a capo on the first fret and see if that helps you. But do keep in mind, the width at the "new nut" position (of 613.5mm) will be quite a bit wider than most 615mm youth/señorita models, which are often 48mm. So IMO the capo "trick" really only helps you figure out horizontal reaches, not so much vertical. In other words, you may still have trouble with the chords above. (FWIW my fingers are 1/4" longer than yours, but my pinky to index spread and pinky to thumb spread is the same as yours. All this while being 10" taller than you ... go figure!).

Last year I acquired a 48/615 Cordoba student model that I'm quite happy with. I still play my full-size 52/650 guitar, and do prefer it, but as I get into more challenging reaches, the 48/615 is a fair concession to make. If you can borrow one before buying, or try one in a store, that can be really helpful.

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:45 am

HNLim wrote:
The 1974 to 1977 GC30A has exactly the same butterfly rosette, purflings & tuning machines as your GC20D. I suspect that Yamaha must have plentyo f the rosettes, purflings and tuning machine left over.

It was only in 1978 that there were changed to what my guitar has.
Lim,

This is odd, with the questions we have been having about the differences or non-differences with respect to the A & D series. And as I mentioned before, in both series the guitars were made to the same specs, the same luthier with the same material. Only the model numbers and cosmetic changes were put into the A series. But this is just my opinion and again I think they really are the same guitar and a way Yamaha was able to do some tinkering with models and minor changes and sell for more profit.

And It is odd too that 1978 was the last year for the 20Ds, the same year that A series had new hardware, up to that point the A & D series had the same butterfly rosette, purflings & tuning machines as you mentioned.

This sounds kind of interesting! What do you read into it?

Cheers,

Alan
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:57 am

ashepps wrote:
HNLim wrote:
The 1974 to 1977 GC30A has exactly the same butterfly rosette, purflings & tuning machines as your GC20D. I suspect that Yamaha must have plentyo f the rosettes, purflings and tuning machine left over.

It was only in 1978 that there were changed to what my guitar has.
Lim,

This is odd, with the questions we have been having about the differences or non-differences with respect to the A & D series. And as I mentioned before, in both series the guitars were made to the same specs, the same luthier with the same material. Only the model numbers and cosmetic changes were put into the A series. But this is just my opinion and again I think they really are the same guitar and a way Yamaha was able to do some tinkering with models and minor changes and sell for more profit.

And It is odd too that 1978 was the last year for the 20Ds, the same year that A series had new hardware, up to that point the A & D series had the same butterfly rosette, purflings & tuning machines as you mentioned.

This sounds kind of interesting! What do you read into it?

Cheers,

Alan
The specification of the materials used may be similar but I believe the difference is in the quality. The GC42 and GC82 have exactly the same specification but the price of the GC82 is double the GC42. The difference is probably is in the quality of material used.
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

merry_zhao

Post by merry_zhao » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:29 pm

I didn't realize too, My fingers are not very long but my palm is wide, mine is 23.2cm, about 9.1+", theoretically I shall go for which? There are pieces do concern about this issue, such as Vals Vanezuela No.3, and Floresta.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”