Shipping from US to Canada

mmapag

Shipping from US to Canada

Post by mmapag » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:45 am

I may be doing this. Is there anything particularly difficult in shipping a guitar to Canada via USPS? Duties that a seller/ shipper pays? What should I know?
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S

xinyufan00

Re: Shipping from US to Canada

Post by xinyufan00 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:10 pm

I am cusious about the same question. Just ordered a gc from Germany. I was told the only extra money need to pay is hst and gst in my province.

Michael Lazar
Luthier

Post by Michael Lazar » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:48 pm

Merchandise imported from the USA is subject only to sales tax at the rate for your province. There will also be a small handling charge ($10 to $20).

For the import of a guitar from Germany there may also be "duty" at the rate of 6%. This would be in addition to the sales tax. You may be able to calculate all of the tax/duty costs here.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/?gclid=CJ ... aQodhIIJxg

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:18 pm

Thanks Michael. It appears that shipping across the border is about double what it is to ship to a US destination.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S

Neil Patrick

Post by Neil Patrick » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:50 pm

mmapag wrote:I may be doing this. Is there anything particularly difficult in shipping a guitar to Canada via USPS? Duties that a seller/ shipper pays? What should I know?
Everything is pretty easy i say. USPS will ship to Canada's border. Then Canada Post will take over from here and deliver it to your house. U will have to pay %15 of the value of the guitar and $10 handling fees. :) have a good day

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:10 pm

Thanks Joseph. The deal fell through on that particular one. Between exchange rate and shipping it was adding on too much. But now I know for the future. I appreciate all the responses.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S

dta721

Post by dta721 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:33 pm

Neil Patrick wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:50 pm
mmapag wrote:I may be doing this. Is there anything particularly difficult in shipping a guitar to Canada via USPS? Duties that a seller/ shipper pays? What should I know?
Everything is pretty easy i say. USPS will ship to Canada's border. Then Canada Post will take over from here and deliver it to your house. U will have to pay %15 of the value of the guitar and $10 handling fees. :) have a good day
Since I was looking into this, talking to a guitar store, Savage in NY, I learned they'll ship via USPS, then Canada Post takes over. In the end, the buyer in Canada will have to pay HST, or 13% and perhaps some handling fee. No Duty was mentioned, but that may depend on the origin of the guitar, where it is made.

If I factor in the exchange rate, a 25% or more will add to the cost of the guitar, making importing from the US to Canada not so desirable! :(

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:00 pm

This explains the proliferation of shipping-mailbox etc-P.O. box stores in Blaine WA. This is our largest industry in Blaine (except maybe Customs and Border Patrol) and UPS has a large facility here for a small town. Canadians buy their Mercedes’ in Newport Beach and truck them up to the border where they pick them up to drive across. So much for free trade.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

zavaletas

Post by zavaletas » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:22 pm

Canadian duties are about 6 percent, but one also must pay provincial taxes. These vary but most are about 7-9 percent, with the exception of Alberta which has no sales tax, but in most places expect to pay 13 to 15%.
James, Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:03 am

zavaletas wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:22 pm
Canadian duties are about 6 percent, but one also must pay provincial taxes. These vary but most are about 7-9 percent, with the exception of Alberta which has no sales tax, but in most places expect to pay 13 to 15%.
Just to clarify, Albertans must pay federal sales tax (GST), which is 5%.

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:24 am

zavaletas wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:22 pm
I'm not sure when it is going to have the full implementation, but Canada signed a free trade agreement with the EU not too long ago, as well as free trade with the US (maybe not for long). This means that any guitar made in the EU or the US should be duty-free. As I said, I'm not sure about the full implementation date of the EU deal. It might still be in the phasing in portion. I know some parts of it were coming into force sooner than others. After it is implemented, guitars from Spain should come down in price in Canada by the 6% duty. However, guitars with an origin in China, or anywhere else, will still have the duty on them.

Just as we got a good trade deal with the EU to import guitars they had to change CITES and make getting the actual guitars harder! Drat! Hahaha..

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

dta721

Post by dta721 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:25 am

If I understand this post correctly, any kind of rosewood (Indian included) would now require CITES permit when crossing the border from US to Canada?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=112437#p1223418

I got a hint from a potential US vendor that they would declare something other than Indian rosewood to facilitate the ... paper work?

If true, this inconvenience will be another deterrence for such cross-border transaction! :(

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:39 am

dta721 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:25 am
...I got a hint from a potential US vendor that they would declare something other than Indian rosewood to facilitate the ... paper work?
I would not recommend that! Fraud is generally frowned upon by those in the legal system, and so why take a chance of getting yourself into serious trouble?

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:54 am

dta721 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:25 am
If I understand this post correctly, any kind of rosewood (Indian included) would now require CITES permit when crossing the border from US to Canada?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=112437#p1223418

I got a hint from a potential US vendor that they would declare something other than Indian rosewood to facilitate the ... paper work?

If true, this inconvenience will be another deterrence for such cross-border transaction! :(
You should go over the border to pick it up personally. Then it is a personal item and not subject to cites. You might still have to pay duty or taxes because you bought something outside of Canada, but the guitar is not being shipped for a commercial reason. This is an interpretation that I saw on the US website on CITES. I think it would likely hold true for those coming into Canada. In this interpretation, the commercial transaction happened in the US. After that time, it just became a personal artefact and subject to the exclusions (unless the guitar weights more than 10Kg).

That being said, I don't think it would work the other way if the seller were taking the guitar across the border. In that case, you are crossing for the purpose of conducting a commercial transaction and you would be subject to CITES.

This is my personal understanding and not legal advice. I'm not exactly certain how the border officials are interpreting CITES yet.

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

dta721

Post by dta721 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:23 am

Thanks Martin and Lovemyguitar for your feedback! What I meant a deterrence is that I would look inside Canada first, and I am a long way into buying something more "exotic" from the US just yet! There are still many bargain from within, and I'd better spend more energy on my current guitars first! :)

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”