Shipping from US to Canada

dta721

Re: Shipping from US to Canada

Post by dta721 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:34 pm

Philosopherguy wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:54 am
You should go over the border to pick it up personally. Then it is a personal item and not subject to cites. You might still have to pay duty or taxes because you bought something outside of Canada, but the guitar is not being shipped for a commercial reason. This is an interpretation that I saw on the US website on CITES. I think it would likely hold true for those coming into Canada. In this interpretation, the commercial transaction happened in the US. After that time, it just became a personal artefact and subject to the exclusions (unless the guitar weights more than 10Kg).

This is my personal understanding and not legal advice. I'm not exactly certain how the border officials are interpreting CITES yet.

Martin
You are so correct on both counts, Martin :okok:
(i) as personal item when picking up and bringing across the border, the guitar is not subjected to CITES, only applicable duty and taxes; and
(ii) no permit required as there are less than 10 kg of rosewood used in the guitar.

In other words, a US seller needs a CITES permit to ship to a buyer in Canada for commercial reason; a Canadian buyer when personally bringing it across the border does not need such CITES permit (a personal item and no guitar is heavier than 10 kg :D )

The above is the exact interpretation when asked this very email address ec.cites.ec@canada.ca!

zavaletas

Re: Shipping from US to Canada

Post by zavaletas » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:39 am

Martin understanding of the personal exemption loop hole is essentially correct-- the 10Kg, however, refers to the amount of rosewood in the guitar and not the weight of the guitar itself. So Canadian visitors to the US or other countries, can buy a guitar and take it home as long as it is for personal use without CITES permits.
James, Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”