Do2, two voices, x players, 1 measure, ABA format, will run til finished.

Musical games to help develop improvisational skills.
Jules Wilkins
Student of the online lessons

Do2, two voices, x players, 1 measure, ABA format, will run til finished.

Post by Jules Wilkins » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:04 am

For overall "rules" of the game please see Delcamp's posting.

I have played the first measure. The next player shall add the second measure, and so on.

I would like anyone and everyone interested to add their names to this list:

Players list (in order of submissions due):
1) Jules Wilkins
2)

The list of participants will expire in three days. Each participant is expected to submit their measure within two days for sure, but ideally within one day (so please don't register participation if you wont be checking in for a week).

We are looking for an ABA format with each section comprised of 4 measures. In other words, section A will be 4 measures long, then section B will be another 4 measures, and then section A will repeat. Please keep this template firmly in mind as you make your contribution. For example, note that measure 4 will both lead into section B and later end the song, and as such would logically end in some form of Am (I assume we all get that the key is A harmonic minor).
Note that I played a G# at the end of measure 1, so whoever writes measure 2 will have to resolve that.
Although there will only be 8 submissions, all participants are expected to play and post the entire piece at the end. At that time players are encouraged to make the music their own by varying speed, volume, timbre etc. including the addition of extra notes, slurs, grace notes or whatever strikes your fancy while ensuring that the piece remains true to our combined efforts. You don't like measure 3...tough. Make it work. :contrat: Find the music. And most of all, let's have some fun with this. :guitare:

"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." — unknown

Ed Butler

Re: Do2, two voices, x players, 1 measure, ABA format, will run til finished.

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:33 pm

Jules - I may have missed/ got wrong a note or two of your first measure. Here is my response for measure #2.

Ed

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:17 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:33 pm
Jules - I may have missed/ got wrong a note or two of your first measure. Here is my response for measure #2.
Ed
Sorry to do this to you Ed, but you missed more than a note or 2. My fault for not having posted the music and leaving others to figure it out (I didn't know how to do that and was too lazy to figure it out). Please accept my apologies. Because you changed so much from the first measure can I prevail upon you to try again?

I used MuseScore to create the score and DropBox to post a clipping from it.

If possible could I prevail on the rest of us to post the score to date. Clearly this will make things much easier for all of us.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:44 pm

Jules - you are right - missed a lot - I guess my hearing is starting to go. I will repost tomorrow with the score

Ed

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:51 pm

Jules - any chance on posting the musescore as an attachment?

Ed

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:34 pm

Today is technical education for me. If you have installed the MuseScore software you should be able to follow this link, download the file, and it will open in MuseScore. Save it in your own file name and do not alter the first measure. Add your second measure and do the same as I did. Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to give further directions. The tutorial and help pages of MuseScore are pretty good though. Good luck.
...https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfkh6zjfrkvyz ... .mscz?dl=0
Last edited by Jules Wilkins on Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:57 pm

that worked for me - I was able to drop it into musescore. Are we going with this or with Lucian's "game or both?

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:15 pm

Both are active games. We are encouraged to participate in at least one game but not necessarily every game, and as Lucian points out my game is definitely more difficult. So feel free to play in either game or both games or, for that matter, start one of your own. This in fact is exactly what Delcamp proposes.

As you demonstrated to me how much easier any game is when we post the score I do encourage you to do likewise. Note that the MIDI created by MuseScore (i.e., what the score sounds like on MuseScore) should essentially mirror what you are playing, which is a huge help (is this really what I intended as I listen to what I wrote?). For my game (should you decide to try again) please make sure you have added a complete measure, but that is a great advantage with MuseScore in that it only allows you to add a complete measure and you can listen to what you have written.

I do ask that you state one way or another if you are planning on adding to my game so that our fellow students will know. Until then let us say that measure 2 of my game is currently up for grabs.

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:47 pm

As an aside, I also posted a game in D01. I seem to be the only survivor from D01 so anyone from D02 (or anyone else for that matter) is more than welcome to join in that game as well. It's difficulty level is somewhere between my 02 game and Lucian's 02 game (it has a base line).

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:34 pm

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:04 am
For overall "rules" of the game please see Delcamp's posting.

I have played the first measure. The next player shall add the second measure, and so on.

I would like anyone and everyone interested to add their names to this list:

Players list (in order of submissions due):
1) Jules Wilkins
2)

The list of participants will expire in three days. Each participant is expected to submit their measure within two days for sure, but ideally within one day (so please don't register participation if you wont be checking in for a week).

We are looking for an ABA format with each section comprised of 4 measures. In other words, section A will be 4 measures long, then section B will be another 4 measures, and then section A will repeat. Please keep this template firmly in mind as you make your contribution. For example, note that measure 4 will both lead into section B and later end the song, and as such would logically end in some form of Am (I assume we all get that the key is A harmonic minor).
Note that I played a G# at the end of measure 1, so whoever writes measure 2 will have to resolve that.
Although there will only be 8 submissions, all participants are expected to play and post the entire piece at the end. At that time players are encouraged to make the music their own by varying speed, volume, timbre etc. including the addition of extra notes, slurs, grace notes or whatever strikes your fancy while ensuring that the piece remains true to our combined efforts. You don't like measure 3...tough. Make it work. :contrat: Find the music. And most of all, let's have some fun with this. :guitare:

I know I'm a little late getting started on this, but I'd like to jump in. Just so I understand this (I'm afraid I crave structure....):
1) we're in the key of A harmonic minor
2) four measures per section, three sections total.
3) we're to contribute one measure (i.e., bar), of however many notes are needed to get a correct bar, per turn.

Question: Referring to your diagram, I see a G not a G# at the end. Since there's no accidental in the signature I was expecting to see one in the score. This is a nit but I'm easily confused by this stuff.
1989 Takamine C132S
1979 Yamaha CG-100

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:49 pm

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:34 pm
I know I'm a little late getting started on this, but I'd like to jump in. Just so I understand this (I'm afraid I crave structure....):
3) we're to contribute one measure (i.e., bar), of however many notes are needed to get a correct bar, per turn.
Question: Referring to your diagram, I see a G not a G# at the end. Since there's no accidental in the signature I was expecting to see one in the score. This is a nit but I'm easily confused by this stuff.
Correct on all counts except the last bit. The last note is indeed a G#, but because it shows a sharpened G at the beginning of the measure all G's in the measure are to be played sharp. Had I wanted to play a G natural I would have had to show the natural sign. If you play one or more G#'s in your measure then you will have to add the accidental to the first instance as when my measure ends all notes revert to the key signature. Indeed, music notation software would not allow you to add the # to the second G.
I was hoping you would chime in and looking forward to hearing your measure. :casque: Post the score too if you can do so without too much effort, but otherwise it is OK. I am sure I can figure out whatever you play.

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:20 pm

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:49 pm
Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:34 pm
Correct on all counts except the last bit. The last note is indeed a G#, but because it shows a sharpened G at the beginning of the measure all G's in the measure are to be played sharp. Had I wanted to play a G natural I would have had to show the natural sign. If you play one or more G#'s in your measure then you will have to add the accidental to the first instance as when my measure ends all notes revert to the key signature. Indeed, music notation software would not allow you to add the # to the second G.
I was hoping you would chime in and looking forward to hearing your measure. :casque: Post the score too if you can do so without too much effort, but otherwise it is OK. I am sure I can figure out whatever you play.
Correct on all counts except the last bit. The last note is indeed a G#, but because it shows a sharpened G at the beginning of the measure all G's in the measure are to be played sharp.

OOHHHHH. That's right! I told you I was easily confused. :shock:

I wanted wait on this part until I posted the assignments. I'll be sure and post score inputs as I go (something else I'll learn to do). This will be fun.
1989 Takamine C132S
1979 Yamaha CG-100

Return to “Musical Games”