D02 x players, 4 notes, 3 days, 1 voice

Musical games to help develop improvisational skills.
Lucian Bistreanu
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 x players, 4 notes, 3 days, 1 voice

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:53 am

Here are some of the initial JFD rules definitions:
"4 notes" means that each player invents a sequence of 4 notes.
"1 voice" means that the collective work is monophonic.
The rhythm is free and modifiable.
The first player records a sequence of 4 notes, the second player repeats what his predecessor played and completes his phrase by adding another sequence of 4 notes to it. In his turn, the first player repeats what the previous player played and adds another 4 notes. At the end of 3 days, one of the players finishes off the collective work with a concluding phrase and indicates in his post that the work is completed. If a contribution does not fit the specifications, the other player can ignore it or adopt it, but it is advisable to reject contributions that are above the level proposed and which would put the other player in difficulty.

It's my understanding that Ed's first contribution ignores the rule of 4 notes and the monophonic one by adding the D note. Nevertheless that is tolerable, not that difficult for me to play it, and if I can do it anybody can :)
In the second contribution Ed, again, submit more than 4 notes. This time I choose to keep just the first 4 for the game. Sorry Ed, this has nothing to do with you I just want to keep it simple respecting JFD's rules.
And then again it's Jules turn to break the rules by adding 5 notes on his second contribution. I can live with that too, it's not such a big thing, anyway is just game.
Be assured Jules I have nothing against you neither. Is just that my level is not that high, and, although I want to learn faster and better I know is not possible, I know my limits. Although I understand some of the stuff about theory you're talking about, (and I tried again playing on the second position) I'll keep my initial position, just because I like it simple. No offense it's not you it's me :)
BTW thanks for all the suggestions, I know that somewhere in the future I can take advantage of them.
Now, this is the final day for the game. I'll add my last sequence, shortly and I let it open till midnight (USA hours) so Ed or Jules you can add your final measure and close the game.

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:28 pm

D C A# G
Last edited by Lucian Bistreanu on Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:31 pm

Lucian - sorry - I never read the heading that said 4 notes. My mistake.

Ed

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:38 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:31 pm
Lucian - sorry - I never read the heading that said 4 notes. My mistake.

Ed
No worries Ed, all is good!

Lucian

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:39 am

No, I only added 4 notes...I just repeated one of them :lol:
Frankly I have no idea where to take this piece so instead I will make an observation. For someone whose "level is not that high" (as you say of yourself Lucian) your hammer-on slurs were very well done. You must have strong and quick fingers!
Thanks for the game Lucian and should you decide to start another I promise to pay more attention to the terms you set. It was an interesting exercise.
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." — unknown

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:16 am

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:39 am
No, I only added 4 notes...I just repeated one of them :lol:
Frankly I have no idea where to take this piece so instead I will make an observation. For someone whose "level is not that high" (as you say of yourself Lucian) your hammer-on slurs were very well done. You must have strong and quick fingers!
Thanks for the game Lucian and should you decide to start another I promise to pay more attention to the terms you set. It was an interesting exercise.
4 notes, one repeat, that's true...nice try :)
When I mentioned the level I was talking about the musical theory, which is zero. I didn't know that I started the game in GM. I'm that good? :)
I guess that will come in time and with study.
Thank you for the 'hammer-on' comment. Last year, between June and September, I experimented with my electric guitar (that was a gift for my birthday) and I was trying to learn some blues, I watched a lot of YT videos, so the hammer-ons and pull-offs was on the menu almost daily. I tried doing the same on the classical guitar and maybe that's way it seems that I know what I'm doing. :)
Thank you for participating in the game Jules and Ed.
Officially this game is closed.
:merci: :bye:

Return to “Musical Games”