Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
ghostwind

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by ghostwind » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:52 pm

New member, was searching for guitars, looking at Cordobas, but came across a barley used Yamaha GC42S that I fell in love with and bought yesterday. Such a beautiful instrument, build, and of course sound! My only complaint is the case it came in. It's the original Yamaha (the current one as the guitar is just a year old) case, with the zipper and straps. Is this case good and sturdy? I would have thought that this caliber instrument would come with a harder shell case, but perhaps that's what I'm used to, and this case is better, though it doesn't look it. Thoughts? Any advice on a new case if necessary? Cordoba has some of their guitars (1/2 price of the GC42S) come with these: http://www.humicase.com/protege Is that a better option for me?

beanctr

Post by beanctr » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:53 pm

I have the same guitar, those zipper cases are just inconvenient for me. I keep mine in an old Yamaha hard case but I have a humicase for another guitar and I think its a great case. R
"Guitar Hobbyist"

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:55 pm

It depends on what you need the case for...traveling or shipping, you definitely need a good hard shell case. If it is simply to keep it at home and it will not be subjected to any knocks, the soft case should be fine. As long as it is relatively airtight/waterproof (?) you should also be able to humidify the interior during the winter if necessary. Otherwise, get a good hard shell case. Yamaha only provides a hard shell case with the GC82S/C.
Last edited by Beowulf on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:58 pm

I am surprised that the GC42 comes with a zipper case. My former Yamaha GC41 at half the price of the GC42 cames with the original Yamaha hard case. The original Yamaha hard case is heavy.

Wonder why Yamaha is cutting back. I must admit that the GC42 sounds much much better than the GC41.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
2006 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/ Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

ghostwind

Post by ghostwind » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:45 pm

Beowulf wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:55 pm
It depends on what you need the case for...traveling or shipping, you definitely need a good hard shell case. If it is simply to keep it at home and it will not be subjected to any knocks, the soft case should be fine. As long as it is relatively airtight/waterproof (?) you should also be able to humidify the interior during the winter if necessary. Otherwise, get a good hard shell case. Yamaha only provides a hard shell case with the GC82S/C.
Yes, for traveling and carrying in the car, public transportation, etc. I would like to humidity the interior as winters here are dry. What’s a good, tight case that’s you’d recommend? I tried to find what the GC82 comes with but don’t see it available. Maybe go with the HumiCase Protege per the link in my last post? Not sure if third party cases fit as perfectly as a manufacturers.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:18 pm

ghostwind wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:45 pm
Yes, for traveling and carrying in the car, public transportation, etc. I would like to humidity the interior as winters here are dry. What’s a good, tight case that’s you’d recommend? I tried to find what the GC82 comes with but don’t see it available. Maybe go with the HumiCase Protege per the link in my last post? Not sure if third party cases fit as perfectly as a manufacturers.
The Humicase looks fine and as long as the inside dimensions are large enough for your instrument, you can secure the guitar with a few pieces of felt cloth if necessary to prevent movement while in transit. Take care that the humidifier is not too wet...you don't want drips on your instrument. I had a case hand made for my GC-10 back in the 1970s...wood with a bowed top and plush interior...and it still works fine over 40 years later.

The GC82S/C has a case made by (or for?) Yamaha...you could contact Yamaha and ask if one can be purchased separately. It does seal very well and should fit the GC42S just fine..

ghostwind

Post by ghostwind » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:07 pm

I was curious to know two things. One, I was just looking on Yamaha's site and re-sellers' sites, and it seems the 1/2 price GC32 is the same, except instead of Madagascar Rosewood back and sides, it just has "solid rosewood". Can that really be the only difference at 1/2 the cost? And second, it seems both are "handcrafted" in the Japan factory, as opposed to the GC82 which seems to be luthier made (perhaps in a different Japanese place), and the GC22 and GC12 which are from a Chinese factory. Was just curious at the cost due only to Madagascar wood or is there something else too? And anyone have more details about how these guitars are indeed made? What exactly is "handcrafted"? I love my guitar, but just trying to understand more. Thanks!

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:36 am

ghostwind wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:07 pm
I was curious to know two things. One, I was just looking on Yamaha's site and re-sellers' sites, and it seems the 1/2 price GC32 is the same, except instead of Madagascar Rosewood back and sides, it just has "solid rosewood". Can that really be the only difference at 1/2 the cost? And second, it seems both are "handcrafted" in the Japan factory, as opposed to the GC82 which seems to be luthier made (perhaps in a different Japanese place), and the GC22 and GC12 which are from a Chinese factory. Was just curious at the cost due only to Madagascar wood or is there something else too? And anyone have more details about how these guitars are indeed made? What exactly is "handcrafted"? I love my guitar, but just trying to understand more. Thanks!
The GC82/42/32 are all made at the Tenryu Custom Shop in Hammamatsu, Japan. The back and sides on the GC32 are perhaps Indian Rosewood. That is not the only difference. The GC82S/C are only made to "custom order", i.e. only on a specific customer order. The same is the case for the GC70/70C, GC60 and the GC71, although these cannot be exported as they have back and sides of Brazilian Rosewood. The GC42/32 are produced for general sale to numerous dealers. All of these guitars are "luthier made", but there are real differences with respect to the quality of the woods used, the design and dimensions, the workmanship, the finish, etc., etc. As an example, the GC82S/C are entirely French Polish shellac finished, whereas the GC42/32 are "Gloss"...likely a lacquer top and perhaps polyurethane back and sides (as is my 1971 GC-10). In the world of guitars it takes special care to improve character, tone, sustain, projection, etc., and $$$, once you try to move beyond a good luthier made instrument. The GC42 is another step up from the GC32.

ghostwind

Post by ghostwind » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:46 am

Beowulf wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:36 am
ghostwind wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:07 pm
The GC82/42/32 are all made at the Tenryu Custom Shop in Hammamatsu, Japan. The back and sides on the GC32 are perhaps Indian Rosewood. That is not the only difference. The GC82S/C are only made to "custom order", i.e. only on a specific customer order. The same is the case for the GC70/70C, GC60 and the GC71, although these cannot be exported as they have back and sides of Brazilian Rosewood. The GC42/32 are produced for general sale to numerous dealers. All of these guitars are "luthier made", but there are real differences with respect to the quality of the woods used, the design and dimensions, the workmanship, the finish, etc., etc. As an example, the GC82S/C are entirely French Polish shellac finished, whereas the GC42/32 are "Gloss"...likely a lacquer top and perhaps polyurethane back and sides (as is my 1971 GC-10). In the world of guitars it takes special care to improve character, tone, sustain, projection, etc., and $$$, once you try to move beyond a good luthier made instrument. The GC42 is another step up from the GC32.
Thanks for the insight. Seems the top woods and workmanship is on the GC82s, as the specs and prices imply. But I attributed the main price difference between the 82 and 42 to be one of workmanship - specifically the top luthiers work on the 82s, sign them, etc. But I assume the same people work on the 42s and 32s, leaving cost of workmanship out of the equation, so at 2x cost of a 32, was curious what else besides the sides and back wood differed on the 42. Maybe it is the wood though. And cost of workmanship again I would attribute to the main price difference between the 32s (Japan) and 22s (China). Just wondering what is the cost of workmanship vs raw material used.

630mm

Post by 630mm » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:50 pm

I would imagine the cost of workmanship is by far the greatest factor among many in the cost difference. The finishing process alone for the shellac sounds very labor intensive. If you can afford a high end guitar, why would you play anything less? For me, this holds true whether it is for personal enjoyment/satisfaction or for professional performance. If cost is a concern, it is a natural process to try to weigh one's own criteria and buy the guitar one feels is the best value (all subjective). As with everything, the correlation between quality/performance and price are not linear.
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka No. 30 Cedar 650mm
1970s Fana 300L Cedar 630mm
2016 Benito Huipe Clasica Cedar 655mm
1972 Yamaha GC-6D Ezo Spruce 662mm

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:52 pm

ghostwind wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:46 am
Thanks for the insight. Seems the top woods and workmanship is on the GC82s, as the specs and prices imply. But I attributed the main price difference between the 82 and 42 to be one of workmanship - specifically the top luthiers work on the 82s, sign them, etc. But I assume the same people work on the 42s and 32s, leaving cost of workmanship out of the equation, so at 2x cost of a 32, was curious what else besides the sides and back wood differed on the 42. Maybe it is the wood though. And cost of workmanship again I would attribute to the main price difference between the 32s (Japan) and 22s (China). Just wondering what is the cost of workmanship vs raw material used.
That I couldn't say in any precise manner. An excellent luthier can take less than perfect woods and turn out an excellent guitar. There are many factors involved including not only the choice of woods, but also how they are chosen to work together, how the thickness of the top is optimized, the shaping and positioning of the top braces, the precision of the joints and of course the marquetry. Master grade materials are definitely more rare and a perfectly quarter sawn top with gorgeous medullary rays, a.k.a., "silking" can only be obtained from wood harvested at the full moon during the Autumn equinox at an elevation of precisely 3,217 feet... :lol: All kidding aside, the medullary rays do indicate greater lateral stiffness in the top wood, which can be desirable. The French polish finishing on the GC82S/C can take up to three months. I would say that the workmanship is definitely the greater cost...but one cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Brazilian Rosewood can add $$$$ to the cost due to its rarety.

beanctr

Post by beanctr » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:25 pm

I have had both a GC32 and a GC42, they are very different guitars. The neck to body joint is different, the binding on the 42 is upgraded, The headstock is more finely finished, the 42 is a substantial upgrade to the 32, not just a different back and sides. I also had a GC71, it had a nice French polish and was very lightly built. R
"Guitar Hobbyist"

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:41 pm

I am just wondering, does the GC42 have a Spanish foot construction?
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
2006 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/ Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

beanctr

Post by beanctr » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:06 pm

I would say the GC42 has a modified Spanish foot as where the GC32 is a standard Spanish foot. I posted pictures of the 42's foot here awhile ago, maybe a search can find them. R
"Guitar Hobbyist"

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:18 pm

ghostwind wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:52 pm
New member, was searching for guitars, looking at Cordobas, but came across a barley used Yamaha GC42S that I fell in love with and bought yesterday. Such a beautiful instrument, build, and of course sound! My only complaint is the case it came in. It's the original Yamaha (the current one as the guitar is just a year old) case, with the zipper and straps. Is this case good and sturdy? I would have thought that this caliber instrument would come with a harder shell case, but perhaps that's what I'm used to, and this case is better, though it doesn't look it. Thoughts? Any advice on a new case if necessary? Cordoba has some of their guitars (1/2 price of the GC42S) come with these: http://www.humicase.com/protege Is that a better option for me?
I've had the same guitar for over a year. I am very happy with it. Regarding the case, it is described as "semi-hard" and I think it is adequate for travelling, provided that it is always with you and you don't put a very heavy weigh on it. I went on a couple of trips last summer ant took it with me in the trunk. Of course you need to be careful about the obvious things, like not leaving it in a parked car on a hot summer day for any length of time, or on a cold winter day, and of course I would never ship it in this kind of case. But the case is quite adequate for normal use and travel if you take it with you. You can use the humidifying packs and it holds the humidity pretty well in my experience (although I also have a humidifier in the room). The case has the advantage of being pretty light, whild still being "almost" a hard case.
2014 Yamaha GC42S, Akio Naniki

Return to “Luthiers”