Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
rpavich

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by rpavich » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:05 pm

FirminArchambault wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:21 pm
I live in Japan, I found a second hand 1979 GC5 in mint conditions for 38,000 yen (around 250 dollars) , this guitar is probably worth 4 to 5 times that price. It is an Eso spruce and Indian Rosewood guitar, with very nice pattern on the Rosewood.
This guitar has a big power and projects well in a concert hall.
The guitar is signed from Esaki, from what I heard I think this model was only sold in Japan.
I am very happy of my finding and enjoy playing this guitar.
Man, that is beautiful!
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

EZfan

Post by EZfan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:56 pm

FirminArchambault wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:21 pm
I live in Japan, I found a second hand 1979 GC5 in mint condition for 38,000 yen (around 250 dollars) , this guitar is probably worth 4 to 5 times that price. It is an Eso spruce and Indian Rosewood guitar, with very nice pattern on the Rosewood.
This guitar has a big power and projects well in a concert hall.
The guitar is signed from Esaki, from what I heard I think this model was only sold in Japan.
I am very happy of my finding and enjoy playing this guitar.
GC5-1.jpg
GC5-2.jpg
GC5-3.jpg
GC5-4.jpg
It looks the same as 1974-1978 GC-5M only the headstock is blank in the GC-5 :D
1977 Yamaha GC-30A-Toshio Kato.
1973 Toshihiko Nakade 1200AJ.
1971 Yamaha GC-15D-Toshio Kato.

Regulus

Post by Regulus » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:50 am

What is the quality like on the current GC series, does anyone have one? I'm interested in the cheapies as well as the dearer models. Especially given the differences between the point of manufacture (China/Japan)
Starting with the GC12 with a reasonable price tag around $1300, and they have Spruce and Cedar in each model.
The GC12 and 22 are made in China where the 32/42, and 82 are Japanese made. And I wonder how this would make a difference.
The 22 and 32 have the same specifications for wood etc, with the 22 made in China and 32 in Japan and the 22 costing $1399 and the 32 costing $3999
Only the top of the range (GC82) has a hardshell case, the rest have a padded bag, which I find a bit poor.

Trevor

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:30 am

Regulus wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:50 am
What is the quality like on the current GC series, does anyone have one? I'm interested in the cheapies as well as the dearer models. Especially given the differences between the point of manufacture (China/Japan)
Starting with the GC12 with a reasonable price tag around $1300, and they have Spruce and Cedar in each model.
The GC12 and 22 are made in China where the 32/42, and 82 are Japanese made. And I wonder how this would make a difference.
The 22 and 32 have the same specifications for wood etc, with the 22 made in China and 32 in Japan and the 22 costing $1399 and the 32 costing $3999
Only the top of the range (GC82) has a hardshell case, the rest have a padded bag, which I find a bit poor.

Trevor
I'm not an experienced guitarist but my opinion of my GC22 is that it's a really nice guitar with no obvious workmanship issues. It sounds great and played great right out of the box. 3.7mm on the bass side as measured, no buzzing, no intonation problems, nothing that would make me regret the purchase.

The gig bag is form fit and VERY well padded. I also have a humicase and chose to keep the guitar in the padded bag if that means anything.

As anything else...you'd have to play one to see how you feel about it. The reason I bought one is that the consistent review from those I trust is: "it's the best/most consistent guitar in it's class (price range)"

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:18 pm

China made=Factory
Japanese made=Luthier
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

EZfan

Post by EZfan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:37 pm

Hi Lim,
My saddle is just 8.65 cm. And here's my tuners photo :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1977 Yamaha GC-30A-Toshio Kato.
1973 Toshihiko Nakade 1200AJ.
1971 Yamaha GC-15D-Toshio Kato.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:00 am

EZfan wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:37 pm
Hi Lim,
My saddle is just 8.65 cm. And here's my tuners photo :)
Your tuning machine is the original Yamaha tuning machine. The Gotoh machine though looks similar has a different motif design and there is a 0.5mm difference between the first and third roller spacing. Also the tuning button on the original Yamaha is butterfly shaped and slightly transparent.

Your case is also thr original Yamaha case.

BTW, how do you find the sound of your GC30A?
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
2006 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/ Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:04 am

HNLim wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:00 am

Your tuning machine is the original Yamaha tuning machine. The Gotoh machine though looks similar has a different motif design and there is a 0.5mm difference between the first and third roller spacing. Also the tuning button on the original Yamaha is butterfly shaped and slightly transparent.

Quite an interesting thread, HNLim :). I'm already a fan of Japanese vintage guitars but I must confess I know nothing about Yamaha guitars and I look upon them with a bit of mistrust, specially when they just present the model type and no responsible luthier. Indeed I'm always afraid they are just factory made series... Am I wrong, posssibly?
1972 - Kuniharu Nobe #8, 658/51, Spr, IN RW, Tokyo, JP
1979 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.40, 650/51, Ced, IN RW, JP
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52, CA Ced, MG RW, Banyoles, ES

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:25 pm

Jorge Oliveira wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:04 am
HNLim wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:00 am

Quite an interesting thread, HNLim :). I'm already a fan of Japanese vintage guitars but I must confess I know nothing about Yamaha guitars and I look upon them with a bit of mistrust, specially when they just present the model type and no responsible luthier. Indeed I'm always afraid they are just factory made series... Am I wrong, posssibly?
As far as the top Yamaha GC is concerned, it is very difficult to find a guitar that can match it's tone quality. As far as marquetry, I still stand by my view that it is second to none.
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:27 pm

HNLim wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:25 pm

As far as the top Yamaha GC is concerned, it is very difficult to find a guitar that can match it's tone quality. As far as marquetry, I still stand by my view that it is second to none.
So let me ask:

Let's say you are shopping for a guitar upgrade. You currently have a GC22. You are planning on upgrading to a luither made guitar in the 2500-3000 dollar range.

Would you say that getting a GC42 is a better choice?

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:35 pm

rpavich wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:27 pm
HNLim wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:25 pm

So let me ask:

Let's say you are shopping for a guitar upgrade. You currently have a GC22. You are planning on getting a luither made guitar in the 2000-3000 dollar range.

Would you say that getting a GC42 is a better choice?
I used to own a GC41 and a GC30A. The GC30A & GC70 are a class of their own. As for the GC42, it is a class above the GC41. Even the GC32 sounds better than GC41. I personally prefer a 1980's GC40 or GC50 or GC60. There are currently quite a few of these on offer in the "bay".

At the moment I am seriously considering buying a GC70.
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:00 pm

Jorge Oliveira wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:04 am
Presently, below the GC32, Yamaha's instruments would be classed as "factory made"...as in for example, China. The GC32, 42, 82 are made by Yamaha's guild of luthiers at the Custom shop in Hammamatsu, Japan. My GC82S was designed by Akio Naniki (who also designed and built the GC71) and built by Naohiro Kawashima: French polishing was done by Mr. Asakura (Mr. Yamauchi recently retired), final setup was done by Teruo Nakamura and Akio Naniki did the final performance test. The general absence of the name of the luthier is an old school Spanish custom, e.g., Segovia's 1912 Manuel Ramirez was actually built by Santos Hernandez. The Yamaha luthiers learned from Eduardo Ferrer and Manuel Hernandez and adopted many Spanish customs...though this fits pretty well with the tradition of working for the master of the Custom Shop, "Yamaha".

My 1973 GC-10 was built by Hideyuki Ezaki who studied with Ferrer and Hernandez in Spain...he also collaborated with Akio Naniki and met with Segovia when Yamaha sought the maestro's advice on the development of the GC71. Mr. Ezaki now has his own luthier shop.

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:07 pm

For Yamaha (in my opinion) "factory made" isn't automatically a bad thing. The consistency and quality of the GC22 that I have is very very high.

I've been involved in manufacturing for 40 years and one thing I can say is; "factory" doesn't mean much. There are good factories who won't let anything but the best quality through, and there are the other types. Quality is 100% dependent on a companies philosophy and the employees who do the work.

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:00 pm

Beowulf wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:00 pm
Presently, below the GC32, Yamaha's instruments would be classed as "factory made"...as in for example, China. The GC32, 42, 82 are made by Yamaha's guild of luthiers at the Custom shop in Hammamatsu, Japan. My GC82S was designed by Akio Naniki (who also designed and built the GC71) and built by Naohiro Kawashima:... French polishing was done by Mr. Asakura (Mr. Yamauchi recently retired), final setup was done by Teruo Nakamura and Akio Naniki did the final performance test. The general absence of the name of the luthier is an old school Spanish custom, e.g., Segovia's 1912 Manuel Ramirez was actually built by Santos Hernandez. The Yamaha luthiers learned from Eduardo Ferrer and Manuel Hernandez and adopted many Spanish customs...though this fits pretty well with the tradition of working for the master of the Custom Shop, "Yamaha".

My 1973 GC-10 was built by Hideyuki Ezaki who studied with Ferrer and Hernandez in Spain...he also collaborated with Akio Naniki and met with Segovia when Yamaha sought the maestro's advice on the development of the GC71. Mr. Ezaki now has his own luthier shop.
Many thanks, Beowulf, for the explanations above and for the video with the details of the presently built Yamaha GC guitars, I really enjoyed watching it. But, out of curiosity, how do you know those names and function of the luthiers involved in the construction of your Yamahas, some of them built so long time ago, if they are not mentioned in the label of the guitar? Is there, perhaps some central repository of such information that allows you to trace the origins of your guitars based solely on the model and, perhaps, its serial number?
1972 - Kuniharu Nobe #8, 658/51, Spr, IN RW, Tokyo, JP
1979 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.40, 650/51, Ced, IN RW, JP
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52, CA Ced, MG RW, Banyoles, ES

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:55 pm

Jorge Oliveira wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:00 pm
Many thanks, Beowulf, for the explanations above and for the video with the details of the presently built Yamaha GC guitars, I really enjoyed watching it. But, out of curiosity, how do you know those names and function of the luthiers involved in the construction of your Yamahas, some of them built so long time ago, if they are not mentioned in the label of the guitar? Is there, perhaps some central repository of such information that allows you to trace the origins of your guitars based solely on the model and, perhaps, its serial number?
You are most welcome! My GC-10 has the signature of the luthier on the label. The GC82S will have the signature of the designer (Akio Naniki) on the label. The names of the luthiers who built my GC82S were provided by my contact at Yamaha Canada. He was so kind as to contact the Custom Shop with my request for their names.

Return to “Luthiers”