Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
singlechange

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by singlechange » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:36 pm

I also own a Yamaha GC-3 but it is a GC-3D so it is what might be referred to as the second GC-3 series. Yours is the first series and more desirable than mine is. Mine has a Yamaha label that is signed and with 1972 date. Mine is spruce/pine.
You can verify if your sound board is spruce or cedar by putting a light inside the sound hole. If the light shines through the top it is spruce/pine. Cedar is dense and will not let light through.
You have a really valuable and hard to find Grand Concert Yamaha classical guitar. If you ever decide to sell it, you will get $1,500-$2,500, so take good care of it and keep it.
Though GC-3 and GC-3D were lower end models, they are coveted by Yamaha fans worldwide.
I heard of a very reputable and big classical guitar dealer/player here in U.S.A. with huge collection he sells and and he used the Yamaha GC-3D (circa early 1970's model) for his own personal guitar to play for several years. He said it sounds loud like a Masaru Kohno (Kono) classical guitar.
There is a lot of Yamaha fans on the forum so you can find more about your GC-3 here. Erik, Welcome to the forum. Robert A.

erik

Post by erik » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:55 pm

Thank you for all that information, Robert :)
I guess having seen some earlier sound hole labels that looked different I just assumed my model was a later build. So excited to hear that it is most likely an early model. Do you know if there is any way to get the actual year based on the serial number?
Performed the light test in a dark room and have to draw the conclusion that my guitar is crafted with a cedar top. No light came through at all. Have only seen pictures of spruce/pine GC3:s before. Is it possible mine is a custom build?
I can confirm that the guitar is indeed very loud. It's bassy but balanced with the right stings. Have carbon trebles right now and I feel like projection is really good across the scales.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:05 pm

erik wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:55 pm
Thank you for all that information, Robert :)
I guess having seen some earlier sound hole labels that looked different I just assumed my model was a later build. So excited to hear that it is most likely an early model. Do you know if there is any way to get the actual year based on the serial number?
Performed the light test in a dark room and have to draw the conclusion that my guitar is crafted with a cedar top. No light came through at all. Have only seen pictures of spruce/pine GC3:s before. Is it possible mine is a custom build?
I can confirm that the guitar is indeed very loud. It's bassy but balanced with the right stings. Have carbon trebles right now and I feel like projection is really good across the scales.
"P" indicates that it is 1969.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
1984 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

singlechange

Post by singlechange » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:11 pm

HNLim,
Thanks for helping Erik with his Yamaha question.
You are my Yamaha GC series go-to-guy! Robert A.

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:05 am

I Brought home the GC42S a few days ago, and here are my first impressions.

Very nice guitar. I spent about 5 hours on it on Wednesday, and 2 hours today. The tone is very balanced, not as warm as I usually like, but thats to be expected from a new guitar, it will get warmer as it gets played in, volume is good aswell. What has impressed me the most so far, is playability. The guitar came with a great setup right out of the box. I'm usually pretty picky about the setup I like to play, the shape of the nut, saddle, and material. I don't feel the need to change the setup right away on this one, it just feels "right", we will see if I still feel the same way as time passes. Aesthetically, the guitar is absolutely beautiful.

I compared the guitar back to back with my 72 GC6D. In terms of sound, the 6D is still a better guitar, the tone is rounder, richer and louder, but not as balanced as the 42. However, the 42 feels nicer, the neck profile is slightly less chunky, and its scale length is 650mm vs the 6D's 662mm. The two guitars have their own personalities and I like them both.

G220????
I also own a 76 G220. I know some may think I'm off my rocker to speak so highly of and inexpensive guitar, but this one is the exception to the rule. Its an incredibly warm guitar, warmer than even the 6D, but not quite as loud. The drawback to this guitar is the neck is too chunky for me, I would describe it as a baseball bat! LOL Otherwise, I would play it more than I do.
2018 Yamaha gc42s
72 Yamaha gc6d
76 Yamaha g220
71 Yamaha g100a
(At the moment)

Stringmusic

Post by Stringmusic » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:34 am

Thank you so much for that comparison of all three Yamahas Jason. :merci:
Now i don’t have to ask you. :wink:

I would like 5 hrs of free time to play mine during the middle of the week too. :mrgreen:

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:46 pm

Day off lol!
2018 Yamaha gc42s
72 Yamaha gc6d
76 Yamaha g220
71 Yamaha g100a
(At the moment)

lawcch

Post by lawcch » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:15 am

I went with my good friend luthier Sen Goh to take a look at a 1974 one owner hardly played Yamaha GC30A. I came back very disappointed with the guitar. It had a very hollow bass and unattractive treble. This guitar is no where near my 1980 Yamaha GC30A and 2006 Yamaha GC70.

Extremely disappointed.

Thank God that I now own 2 of the finest guitar Yamaha has ever produced.
[/quote]

hi Mr Lim

Wonder why you never test the GC30A guitar before you bought it since the seller of the guitar was in Singapore?
Unless you buy from online sellers then buying an expensive guitars can be like wining a jackpot lottery.
I heard stories where buyers buy their custom guitar from famous luthiers and after they received the guitar the buyer extremely not happy with the sound of the guitar after waited for 10 or 20 years on waiting list.Thererfore, I always like to buy used and reasonable priced guitars from online to minimise the risk of poor quality tone of a guitar.
Jose Antonio JR200 "Jose Romanillos replicate guitar"
Yamaha GC 7M model
Kenny Hill La Curva model

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:51 am

lawcch wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:15 am
I went with my good friend luthier Sen Goh to take a look at a 1974 one owner hardly played Yamaha GC30A. I came back very disappointed with the guitar. It had a very hollow bass and unattractive treble. This guitar is no where near my 1980 Yamaha GC30A and 2006 Yamaha GC70.

Extremely disappointed.

Thank God that I now own 2 of the finest guitar Yamaha has ever produced.
hi Mr Lim

Wonder why you never test the GC30A guitar before you bought it since the seller of the guitar was in Singapore?
Unless you buy from online sellers then buying an expensive guitars can be like wining a jackpot lottery.
I heard stories where buyers buy their custom guitar from famous luthiers and after they received the guitar the buyer extremely not happy with the sound of the guitar after waited for 10 or 20 years on waiting list.Thererfore, I always like to buy used and reasonable priced guitars from online to minimise the risk of poor quality tone of a guitar.
[/quote]
I went with Sen Goh with cash in my pocket. After playing that 30A for a while, I didn't like the sound of the guitar and that was why I didn't buy it. The 30A that I have with me is a different guitar than the one we tested. I was supposed to buy it which would have been my third 30A. My first was sold to an extremely good guitarist. He kept persuading me to sell him my 30A for a few years. He lives in China and I am in Singapore. He came all the way from China just to pick up the guitar.
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

lawcch

Post by lawcch » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:32 pm

Oh, glad to hear that you have not buy that GC30A guitar. It is quite expensive for USD $5,000 price tag. I think most famous luthiers guitar fetched high price after the luthier passed away. Like Robert Ruck.
Jose Antonio JR200 "Jose Romanillos replicate guitar"
Yamaha GC 7M model
Kenny Hill La Curva model

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:20 pm

As a Yamaha GC fan, I find this posting on another thread very interesting.

Of course and thanks for all your work! So, with the two additions the actual present total is 17 (counting the Amadeus Duo as 1):

Amadeus Guitar Duo, Germany -
Cf. Dale Kavanagh & Thomas Kirchhoff
Yamaha, Japan, Model GC70C

Siegfried Behrend, Germany -
Yamaha, Japan, GC70

Liona Boyd, UK -x
Yamaha, Japan, GC-70C, handmade by Kato

Leo Brouwer, Cuba -
Yamaha, Japan, H. Ezaki, GC 30A, cedar, late 1970s, bought from the luthier in person

Paco de Lucia, Spain -
Yamaha, Japan, GC10F, GC30C, GC70

Alirio Diaz, Venezuela -
Yamaha, Japan, Model GC30A

Eduardo Falu, Argentina -
Yamaha, Japan, Model GC70

Shin-Ichi Fukuda, Japan -
Yamaha, Japan, GC70

Richard Graf, Austria -
Yamaha, Japan, Model GCX31C, 2007, spruce

Baden Powell, Brazil -
Yamaha, Japan, Model GC71

Marcel Powell, Brazil -
Yamaha, Japan, Model GC82S

Konrad Ragossnig -
Yamaha, Japan, Model GC-30 A, cedar, built by Toshio Katoh, GC70

Stepán Rak, Czech Republic -
Yamaha, Japan, Model GC-70C

Berta Rojas, Paraguay -
Yamaha, Japan, Model GC82C

Andres Segovia (1893-1987), Spain -
Yamaha, Japan, Model GC71, GC70C

Narcisco Yepes (1927-1997), Spain -
-10-strings :
Yamaha, Japan, Model GC30A-10

Atahualpa Yupanqui, Argentina -
Yamaha, Japan, Model GC10

N.B. Segovia played the GC71 in concert (1982), however he only used the GC70C as a practice guitar at his cottage.

If others are interested it might be fun to see the breakdown for each maker
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

WillMbCdn5

Post by WillMbCdn5 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:03 am

Now a part of the fan club. Gorgeous looking, sounding and playing instrument.

Country/City: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Model: GC31C
Date of production: 2010
Date of aquisition: 2018
Price of aquisition: $700.00 CDN
Top:Solid Cedar
Back: Solid Rosewood
Sides: Solid Rosewood
Neck: Mahagony
Fingerboard: Ebony
Construction: ?
Scale Length: 650mm
Luthier Signature : K. Tsuchiya
Strings: Aquila Alabastro NT

cheers
Will
Last edited by WillMbCdn5 on Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:30 am

Congratulations. BTW Yamaha makes very good and heavy guitar case.
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

WillMbCdn5

Post by WillMbCdn5 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:58 pm

I was checking the serial number on my Yamaha GC31C which I was told was purchased new in 2010 by the previous owner. The number QLM073A translates to June 2005 guitar #73, perhaps it sat unloved and unsold for a while:)?

Will

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:57 pm

WillMbCdn5 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:58 pm
I was checking the serial number on my Yamaha GC31C which I was told was purchased new in 2010 by the previous owner. The number QLM073A translates to June 2005 guitar #73, perhaps it sat unloved and unsold for a while:)?

Will
Certainly possible. I purchased my GC-10 in 1973 and it was made in 1971. Yamaha released a new series in 2012 and the buyer may have been offered a good price on an instrument the dealer had in stock for a few years. Lovely instrument...what is the character of your GC31C's voice?
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

Return to “Luthiers”