Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Francisco
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:41 pm

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by Francisco » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:15 pm

Beowulf wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:23 pm
I asked the technical service manager at Yamaha Canada about the 3000mm radius and here is the response:

""The 3000mm radius is correct; it’s almost completely flat. Traditionally, classical guitars are completely flat; but that ever-so-slight radius adds to the playing comfort."
That sounds almost like a “psychological” radius. You know it’s there, even though you can’t feel it or see it at all without some precision measuring tools. But the knowledge of its existence may give you some extra confidence or mental confort in difficult acrobatic positions. Maybe.
However, I have a vague memory of reading somewhere that fingerboards can sometimes, after years, develp a slight concavity due to shrinkage of the wood or whatever, and therefore building them with a very slight convexity may act as a preventive countermeasure against this development.
2014 Yamaha GC42S

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2587
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by HNLim » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:35 pm

I have just acquired another Yamaha GC70. I am still looking for a pre-1974 GC30A.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
1984 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 1166
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by Beowulf » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:14 pm

HNLim wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:35 pm
I have just acquired another Yamaha GC70. I am still looking for a pre-1974 GC30A.
Interesting...I look forward to a comparison of the 1978 and 2006 GC70s!
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2587
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by HNLim » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:04 am

I believe strongly that the GC70 and GC30A will sound awesome after voicing them. The only concern is to redo the French polish. My 2006 GC70 sounds very awesome after voicing. When I first got hold of it, it sounded horrible. I am just curious why Yamaha's luthier are not able to voice the guitar properly. In terms of materia, I believe Yamaha has the best materials you can find to build a very good guitar. That's why I am actively looking for another GC30A.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
1984 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 1166
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by Beowulf » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:34 am

HNLim wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:04 am
I believe strongly that the GC70 and GC30A will sound awesome after voicing them. The only concern is to redo the French polish. My 2006 GC70 sounds very awesome after voicing. When I first got hold of it, it sounded horrible. I am just curious why Yamaha's luthier are not able to voice the guitar properly. In terms of materia, I believe Yamaha has the best materials you can find to build a very good guitar. That's why I am actively looking for another GC30A.
I seem to recall that you altered the top thickness of the 2006 GC70 and refinished the french polish? Did you do anything else to accomplish the re-voicing?
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2587
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by HNLim » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:59 am

Beowulf wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:34 am
HNLim wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:04 am
I believe strongly that the GC70 and GC30A will sound awesome after voicing them. The only concern is to redo the French polish. My 2006 GC70 sounds very awesome after voicing. When I first got hold of it, it sounded horrible. I am just curious why Yamaha's luthier are not able to voice the guitar properly. In terms of materia, I believe Yamaha has the best materials you can find to build a very good guitar. That's why I am actively looking for another GC30A.
I seem to recall that you altered the top thickness of the 2006 GC70 and refinished the french polish? Did you do anything else to accomplish the re-voicing?
That was all that I did. According to my sifu, I can still sand down a little more but I dare not fearing that it might remove off the purfling.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
1984 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 1166
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by Beowulf » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:44 pm

HNLim wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:59 am
Beowulf wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:34 am
HNLim wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:04 am
I believe strongly that the GC70 and GC30A will sound awesome after voicing them. The only concern is to redo the French polish. My 2006 GC70 sounds very awesome after voicing. When I first got hold of it, it sounded horrible. I am just curious why Yamaha's luthier are not able to voice the guitar properly. In terms of materia, I believe Yamaha has the best materials you can find to build a very good guitar. That's why I am actively looking for another GC30A.
I seem to recall that you altered the top thickness of the 2006 GC70 and refinished the french polish? Did you do anything else to accomplish the re-voicing?
That was all that I did. According to my sifu, I can still sand down a little more but I dare not fearing that it might remove off the purfling.
Yes, you wouldn't want that! So the change in sound...more lively, open, resonant? And is the GC70 more responsive to touch?
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2587
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by HNLim » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:04 am

Beowulf wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:44 pm
HNLim wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:59 am
Beowulf wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:34 am


I seem to recall that you altered the top thickness of the 2006 GC70 and refinished the french polish? Did you do anything else to accomplish the re-voicing?
That was all that I did. According to my sifu, I can still sand down a little more but I dare not fearing that it might remove off the purfling.
Yes, you wouldn't want that! So the change in sound...more lively, open, resonant? And is the GC70 more responsive to touch?
Yes, it has improved in all aspects.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
1984 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 1166
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by Beowulf » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:52 pm

HNLim wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:04 am
Beowulf wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:44 pm
HNLim wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:59 am

That was all that I did. According to my sifu, I can still sand down a little more but I dare not fearing that it might remove off the purfling.
Yes, you wouldn't want that! So the change in sound...more lively, open, resonant? And is the GC70 more responsive to touch?
Yes, it has improved in all aspects.
Well it has been along wait, but here is a sample of the sound of the GC82S: viewtopic.php?f=107&t=108170&start=255
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

User avatar
Arash Ahmadi
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:38 pm

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:39 pm

bacsidoan wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:02 am
Second to none? Each to his own :) You mean to tell me that this rosette is not worth a consideration to be one of the best in terms of workmanship? I'll concede that this is just my opinion.

JE_Rosette-1.jpg

JE_Rosette-2.jpg
Unique and beautiful! Who's the maker?
Becoming a great musician is about becoming a great human being.

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2587
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by HNLim » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:40 am

IMG-20190129-WA0013.jpeg
Just received my 1984 GC70. All except for a very slight dent, guitar is in perfect condition.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
1984 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2587
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by HNLim » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:22 pm

My latest acquisition 1984 Yamaha GC70 sounds awesome after I changed the string. This 35 years old guitar is almost new with 4 flaws.
1. The saddle is not original. The original saddle is 85mm but the existing saddle is only 80mm. So finding a 85 mm long saddle is a little challenging.
2. The fingerboard looks like it has not been touch. The fret has gone dull.
3. The tuning machine is almost impossible to turn without using a winder.
4. There is a small dent on the right upper bout which I am trying to figure out what to do.

So far apart from these, the guitar don't seems to have other obvious flaw. Numbers 1 to 3 can easily be resolved but number 4 is going to be a challenge.

The original Yamaha case looks so new.

The best part is this 1984 GC70 sounded as good as the 2006 GC70 that I voiced earlier. This guitar not only look awesome, it also sounds awesome. This means that I need not remove the French polish.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
1984 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 1166
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by Beowulf » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:52 pm

HNLim wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:22 pm
My latest acquisition 1984 Yamaha GC70 sounds awesome after I changed the string. This 35 years old guitar is almost new with 4 flaws.
1. The saddle is not original. The original saddle is 85mm but the existing saddle is only 80mm. So finding a 85 mm long saddle is a little challenging.
2. The fingerboard looks like it has not been touch. The fret has gone dull.
3. The tuning machine is almost impossible to turn without using a winder.
4. There is a small dent on the right upper bout which I am trying to figure out what to do.

So far apart from these, the guitar don't seems to have other obvious flaw. Numbers 1 to 3 can easily be resolved but number 4 is going to be a challenge.

The original Yamaha case looks so new.

The best part is this 1984 GC70 sounded as good as the 2006 GC70 that I voiced earlier. This guitar not only look awesome, it also sounds awesome. This means that I need not remove the French polish.
Congratulations on your latest GC70! As a matter of curiosity who were the makers of the 1984 and 2006 GC70s?

Odd that the saddle was replaced. Do you think the top was refinished when that was done?

I would love to see a few more pictures!
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

User avatar
riemsesy
Posts: 539
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:06 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by riemsesy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:44 am

HNLim wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:31 pm
I bought a Yamaha GC70 that needs refurbishing. When I first take possession of the guitar, the sound was very disappointing. However with the advice given by my good friend Sen Goh, I did some voicing of the guitar.
What is voicing?
Best regards, Richard Frank
-Yamaha GC22s
-Raimundo 128c

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2587
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by HNLim » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:21 am

riemsesy wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:44 am
HNLim wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:31 pm
I bought a Yamaha GC70 that needs refurbishing. When I first take possession of the guitar, the sound was very disappointing. However with the advice given by my good friend Sen Goh, I did some voicing of the guitar.
What is voicing?
Maybe some expert luthier can explain. I only take instruction from my sifu and do as instructed.

Maybe this video might help.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
1984 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

Return to “Luthiers”