The most elegant plantilla?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Dani

The most elegant plantilla?

Post by Dani » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:54 pm

Hello,

I made 5 guitars until now. My plantilla is something between Hernandez y Aguado and Fleta which are not the most elegant ones.
For my next guitar I would like to try a smaller plantilla, which, if I´m not wrong, works better for spruce.
I can not decide between the large Torres, Hauser, Romanillos and Santos Hernandez from Courtnall book.
Which plantilla is the most elegant for you?
Cheers
Dani

Michael.N.

Re: The most elegant plantilla?

Post by Michael.N. » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:50 pm

I agree about the Fleta!
The Romanillos, at least the one he was doing in the mid 70's. The Torres second size down (and third and fourth and fifth) is also very elegant. Not La leona though, which I personally find a bit flat or full in the waist.
You can always do your own, not difficult at all.
Historicalguitars.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:08 pm

Friederich. From those on your list, Hauser.

Grooveman JS

Post by Grooveman JS » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:14 am

astro64 wrote:Friederich. From those on your list, Hauser.
Exactly my sentiments....Daniel Friederich :bravo: yessss.....after researching into different makes of classical guitars; I'm really beginning to like the idea of a smaller body guitar; more elegant/attractive plantilla.....
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:07 am

Hauser. Classic. Elegant.

Portland Bill

Post by Portland Bill » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:20 pm

Bouchet for me.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:36 pm

Bouchet? Not my idea of an elegant plantilla. It's very flat across the heel area, sometimes even looks like it's sinking. Just too awkward looking for my tastes.
Historicalguitars.

kris barnett

Post by kris barnett » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:22 pm

I love Robert Ruck's Plantilla. Does anyone know if this is based on a historical design? Very graceful, nicely rounded to the heel, not bulbous. Looks a bit similar to Friedrich?

Michael Lazar
Luthier

Post by Michael Lazar » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:58 pm

Definitely not Hauser. The lower bout is too flat across the bottom. I liken the plantilla to the outline of the female form. Ruck guitars have a nice bottom but a little too round shouldered for me. Friederich is the best for my taste. Moving away from the master luthiers, I like the Yamaha plantilla as well albeit I find it almost identical to Friederich.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:53 pm

All of these modern classical plantillas are nowhere near as elegant as the smallest Torres or the earlier Pons/Lacote. When the upper and lower bout widths become much larger in proportion to the body length they all take on that rather bloated look. There's not a lot that can be done but some are a bit more elegant than others. Sorry to say but I think the Fleta one of the worst. Didn't stop them having a mighty waiting list though!
Historicalguitars.

leafhound

Post by leafhound » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:59 pm

Michael.N. wrote:All of these modern classical plantillas are nowhere near as elegant as the smallest Torres or the earlier Pons/Lacote. When the upper and lower bout widths become much larger in proportion to the body length they all take on that rather bloated look. There's not a lot that can be done but some are a bit more elegant than others. Sorry to say but I think the Fleta one of the worst. Didn't stop them having a mighty waiting list though!
1+

hanredman

Post by hanredman » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:39 pm

Ramirez has a nice flow to it, with no straight lines anywhere.
Joseph Redman
Amateur Guitar Builder

hanredman

Post by hanredman » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:41 pm

Michael.N. wrote:Bouchet? Not my idea of an elegant plantilla. It's very flat across the heel area, sometimes even looks like it's sinking. Just too awkward looking for my tastes.
Agreed. He joined the sides to the heel at right angles, not following the imaginary top radius above the sound hole.
Joseph Redman
Amateur Guitar Builder

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:59 pm

Early Ramirez
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:49 pm

hanredman wrote:
Michael.N. wrote:Bouchet? Not my idea of an elegant plantilla. It's very flat across the heel area, sometimes even looks like it's sinking. Just too awkward looking for my tastes.
Agreed. He joined the sides to the heel at right angles, not following the imaginary top radius above the sound hole.
I actually like that. Same goes for the flatter Hauser. No idea why, but the rounder that connection to the heel, the less I tend to like the shape.

Return to “Luthiers”