We who love Japanese classical guitars - Delcamp

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Beowulf

Re: We who love Japanese classical guitars - Delcamp

Post by Beowulf » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:32 pm

It does show the broader shoulders with a slightly flatter top and slightly flatter lower bout at the bottom which tends to be found on Hauser guitars.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

Bryan Pannell

Post by Bryan Pannell » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:54 pm

Here is a pic of the brace pattern .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bryan Pannell

Post by Bryan Pannell » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:58 pm

Braces are showing shadows on the 2 top and bottom brace . Not enough light sources . Best I can do .

Not a wide bridge plate , brace at the front of the bridge is same size as the other bracing.

es335

Post by es335 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:03 am

Thanks for sharing! Though basically a typical 7 fan Torres bracing with two closing bars, the cross bar under the front of the bridge and the missing cross bar at the waist looks quite special. Great find anyway! Congrats! :D

Bryan Pannell

Post by Bryan Pannell » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:10 pm

There is a cross bar at the waist . That’s where I needed to crop the pic in order to get it loaded onto the site because of size of the file .

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:17 pm

A few days ago I came across a Ryoji Matsuoka MF-80 on the bay, a pretty rare model I think. At first I couldn't figure out what MF stood for. I know MH stands for "Model Hauser. Then it hit me: After looking at the bridge and the head shape I came to the conclusion it must be "Model Fleta". A very nice one too. So keep your eyes open for this model in the future, it might be a good catch!

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
1964 - Masaru Kohno No.7
1999 - Lorenzo Frignani
2017 - Tobias Braun

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

barefootdesigns

Post by barefootdesigns » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:18 am

Ryuji Gamo Hotaka is a name I had never heard of till I managed to translate the Japanese label on a guitar which I recently bought. The only other information I have on this guitar is the number "1185" printed on the label. No date that I can discern. This name appeared on the list of Japanese luthiers here. Can anybody give me more information about this luthier? The guitar is lovely!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Carter53

Post by Carter53 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:08 pm

Jorge Oliveira wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:46 pm
rinneby wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:44 pm
Update 2019

Our list of Japanese luthiers now looks like this. Anyone missing?
Kind regards from Sweden
/Jon
Hi Jon:

Thanks for your list. Soem of the names were new to me. However, and starting with your previous one, I've been collecting myself names of luthiers from the action site in Japan and I got some more to add to your list. But, please, check, I may have misspelled some of them :D.

Atsushi Yamamoto
Eichi Kodaira
Eiichi Hayashi
Harada ShuHirosh
Hirohisa Tomura
Ichi Matsuoka
Ikeda Suehiro
Ikkoh Kawada
Jinichiro Matsunaga
Kano Kitamashi
Kawaigakki Kawai
Kazuo Toshi
Kitaori Tadanao
Kiyoto Tanaka
Kodaira Xiaoping
Kuzuyuki Kawamura
Masao Koga
Masao Shoji
Masato Nishino
Matsumura MiyabiWataru
Miura Takashi
Morio Tazaki
Nardan Natama
Niichiro Matsunaga
Nit Kawashima
Nittiku Kogio
Ryuji Gamo Hotaka
Sakamoto Osamu
Tadashitsukasa Inaba
Toshiro Kato (I think it is Toshiro and not Toshio, please check)
Toshiyuki Fujimori
Uno Mitsuru
Yamanaka Kanemitsu Toramoku
Yasuo Abe
Yoshihiro Taniguchi
Yukio Chai
Yusaku Mokuhara
Yusuke Kyoto

Best regards,

Jorge
Add: Kodama Kanoh

regards,
Reg
1964 Sakazo Nakade "D"
1971 Masaji Nobe (gifted-no model#)
1983 Asturias John Mills JM-15
1988 Masaki Sakurai Concert-R

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:29 pm

Carter53 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:08 pm
Jorge Oliveira wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:46 pm
rinneby wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:44 pm
Update 2019

Our list of Japanese luthiers now looks like this. Anyone missing?
Kind regards from Sweden
/Jon
Hi Jon:

Thanks for your list. Soem of the names were new to me. However, and starting with your previous one, I've been collecting myself names of luthiers from the action site in Japan and I got some more to add to your list. But, please, check, I may have misspelled some of them :D.

Atsushi Yamamoto
Eichi Kodaira
Eiichi Hayashi
Harada ShuHirosh
Hirohisa Tomura
Ichi Matsuoka
Ikeda Suehiro
Ikkoh Kawada
Jinichiro Matsunaga
Kano Kitamashi
Kawaigakki Kawai
Kazuo Toshi
Kitaori Tadanao
Kiyoto Tanaka
Kodaira Xiaoping
Kuzuyuki Kawamura
Masao Koga
Masao Shoji
Masato Nishino
Matsumura MiyabiWataru
Miura Takashi
Morio Tazaki
Nardan Natama
Niichiro Matsunaga
Nit Kawashima
Nittiku Kogio
Ryuji Gamo Hotaka
Sakamoto Osamu
Tadashitsukasa Inaba
Toshiro Kato (I think it is Toshiro and not Toshio, please check)
Toshiyuki Fujimori
Uno Mitsuru
Yamanaka Kanemitsu Toramoku
Yasuo Abe
Yoshihiro Taniguchi
Yukio Chai
Yusaku Mokuhara
Yusuke Kyoto

Best regards,

Jorge
Add: Kodama Kanoh

regards,
Reg
Check out the updated list on page 92, he's there.

/J
1964 - Masaru Kohno No.7
1999 - Lorenzo Frignani
2017 - Tobias Braun

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

rotr

Post by rotr » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:11 am

Directly, I became interested in classical Japanese guitars after I bought Matsuoka M20 1978 at the Japanese auction. It was a very decent instrument, for a price more times less than the new similar instrument in the store. Next I managed to get Matsuoka No.25 1970. And it was even better. I profitably sold the M20. By the way, the buyer came with a Russian luthier guitar and the M20 sounded richer. And so it began. I started buying guitars at a Japanese auction, cheap, sometimes broken, I repairing them, comparing them, keeping the best ones for myself, selling the rest. I would not call myself a reseller, because it does not bring me profit. Quite the contrary. In Russia, the average salary is $ 400-500, so collecting the guitars is quite expensive. The crisis in the economy of the country, guitars are not popular now, it is difficult to sell them, unless it is 100$ price. I sold some instruments through e - b a y. But now there are also restrictions on moving tools from expensive wood. And even from Japan it became more difficult to bring a guitar from this year. Crossed on all sides. And yet at one moment I broke down and took some expensive guitars on credit. Now I have a guitars of my dream from Matsuoka and Nakade. By the way, Matsuoka Dreadnoughts are also very good. The 80 model is the best acoustic guitar I've ever had. Better, for example, than Alvarez Yairi DY-91, which I once bought on e - b a y. And better than the more expensive guitars from other Japanese manufacturers. So I think Matsuoka is the best choice in terms of price and quality. That’s why I like them.

At one point, I decided to run a channel on YouTube, where I started posting guitars reviews for sale and just for fun. So welcome! https://www.youtube.com/user/TrophyMove I haven’t yet seen such detailed reviews from anyone. That's just my playing leaves much to be desired. But I am working on it)
Sakano Nakade 3000sss 1972
Sakazo Nakade 1200Y 1969
Ryoji Matsuoka MG-100 1975
Shigeru Rei No.6
Hiroshi Abe Clase 1000

rotr

Post by rotr » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:35 pm

Well, I'll tell you a little about my guitars.
7.jpg
The seller indicated that it is Shigeru Rei. Obviously number 6. 60000 yen?
There is a numbers 4951 and 4953(?) on the heel block.
8.jpg
I think this guitar was made in the late 60s or early 70s. It is difficult to find information about this luthier. The guitar is assembled well, you feel the hand of the master. Cross braces are higher than usual. In the photo, I saw an array of mahogany, despite the poor state of the guitar, given the bargain price, bought it. I'm not afraid to buy broken guitars. For me, this is more likely the opportunity to get a cheaper good instrument. I patched several cracks on the top - near the fingerboard, at the junction of the top veneer halves and the cracked brace. The fingerboard has dried up, the frets have bent down, but the strings do not touch, it does not interfere with playing. But the back and sides are in perfect order and in general, the guitar is strong. This Shigeru is rich in lower case, but in the upper one there is not enough intelligibility. If we compare, for example, with Matsuoka No.25 early 70s. Pretty good instrument. I use it as a guitar, which you can take with you, without really worrying about safety.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
Sakazo Nakade 1200Y 1969
Shigeru Rei No.6
Hiroshi Abe Clase 1000

rotr

Post by rotr » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:00 pm

Hiroshi Abe Clase 1000 1979, autographed by Abe on the label. Most likely the guitar was worth 100,000 yen, today it would be 151,000 yen. Does this model name means it were made for study purpose? But fret markers are missing. And the price for the student is decent. Again, a crack on the top, near the fingerboard, as well as a crack in the center of the heel, cracked up heel block. The body is made of laminate rosewood. The end of the 70s is a completely different value of the yen than at the beginning. However, the guitar sounds very good. A big bright sound, the guitar vibrates in hands, long sustain. Truly a high level instrument. One of the best that I had. Except for the shortcomings that were eliminated, the condition is excellent. Apparently, owner didn’t play the guitar and it cracked up lying in its case? Again, the price was significantly reduced, so I bargained a bit and won this lot. I made a review and selling guitar now. For the collection I still want something more unique and the sound of my 1200 Nakade was more interesting.
6.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
Sakazo Nakade 1200Y 1969
Shigeru Rei No.6
Hiroshi Abe Clase 1000

rotr

Post by rotr » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:08 pm

Sakazo Nakade 1200Y 1969. 120,000 yen in the year 69 is a serious amount, today it is 427,000. Actually, the instrument complies. The body of the solid brazilian rosewood, beautiful structure of spruce top and more complex device braces, compared with other instruments that I had. The sound is impressive, stunning, especially clear crystal clarity in the entire register. Sustain lasts and lasts. The sound is very rich in overtones, grainy. The guitar sounds very spanish. Vibration is distributed throughout the body of the guitar. But the state of the guitar is depressing, a lot of cracks in the back, cracks in the top, the whole guitar is somehow badly varnished, some of the cracks were tried to be patched very unaccurate, painted markers of frets. Apparently the guitar was used by someone who did not consider it for value. In short, the price of the guitar was significantly reduced and then I could not pass by. I will fix all the problems and use the guitar as my main everyday instrument.
7.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
Sakazo Nakade 1200Y 1969
Shigeru Rei No.6
Hiroshi Abe Clase 1000

rotr

Post by rotr » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:20 pm

Matsuoka MG100 1975. My acquaintance with Japanese guitars began with Matsuoka. And of course I dreamed of getting to myself the top model by master. I was thinking about the 1973 No.80. But once there was a lot with an amazing 1975 mg-100, and at an adequate price. I could not pass by. The guitar was in excellent condition, no cracks or chips. Only a couple of scratches. Armed with a credit card and won the lot, which is still happy. An interesting carved ornament on the head of the neck, the body is not made of brazilian, but of a solid rare latin american rosewood, the top is made of solid spruce with a beautifully iridescent structure. And, interestingly, this guitar exudes a very pleasant smell. Smells like expensive perfume. There is no information about this model in the network, but there are several photos, including labels. I found 17373, 17468, 17470.
d267509247.1.jpg
matsuokasoundhole.jpg
picture.jpg
My number is 17471. So I think it was some limited edition, released in 75 year. The sound of the guitar is well worth the cost. Her sound is soft, velvety, bass. You can play very gently, but if necessary, it allow a bright dynamic. Unlike the Nakade 1200, this is a completely different sound, less classical. Great to have such different instruments.
7.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
Sakazo Nakade 1200Y 1969
Shigeru Rei No.6
Hiroshi Abe Clase 1000

rotr

Post by rotr » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:23 pm

6.jpg
By the way, not so long ago, Matsuoka No.150 1973 from solid brazilian rosewood appeared at the auction. That's for sure a collectors gem! Despite the terrifying state of the guitar, price went far beyond my capabilities. Well, maybe someday I will get this guitar.
picture (3).jpg
picture (8).jpg
picture.jpg
Sakazo Nakade 1200Y 1969
Shigeru Rei No.6
Hiroshi Abe Clase 1000

Return to “Luthiers”