Why most of my guitars are buzzing at 2nd fret?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
rinneby

Re: Why most of my guitars are buzzing at 2nd fret?

Post by rinneby » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:00 pm

ashworth wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:58 pm
rinneby wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:39 pm
eno wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:18 pm

Oh, thanks! I think this is it, citar-like buzzing called "ghost harmonic"
Ugly Buzz :(
This is a fairly common "problem" - Does it appear if you place your finger right next to the fret as well? There is really no way around it, expect trying to better your technique when it matters. Some guitars are more forgiving than others, its just the way it is.

/Jon
You will always get a buzz when the finger is too far back from the fret, or when not enough pressure is applied. But this problem is a little different than that—it happens only on certain frets on certain strings and when the finger is placed closely enough so that buzzing ought not to occur.
Its often most noticeable when playing Am or Em, at least on some of the guitars I've tried. But yes, you are correct.

/Jon
1964 - Masaru Kohno No.7
1996 - Masaru Kohno Maestro
2007 - Curt Claus Voigt
2017 - Tobias Braun

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

eno

Post by eno » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:35 am

rinneby wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:00 pm
Its often most noticeable when playing Am or Em, at least on some of the guitars I've tried. But yes, you are correct.
/Jon
Yes, I noticed that it gets worse if both E@4th and B@5th are plucked together in a cord, so yes, Em chord is most noticeable.
Anyone tried to twist the string in the direction of winding when the guitar is stringed as recommended in that thread? Does it help?
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Takamine C136S 1976
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:59 pm

Here is a cause of a buzzing I discovered yesterday . I narrowed it down to my hearing aid reverberation . Up till then I was blaming a tuner and (or ) one guitar that had loose frets repaired. The tuner was switched off and moved away . The repaired frets guitar buzzed on some notes. A different from new and no damage guitar was buzzing in the same places . It was my hearing aid and now I need to learn about reverberation on digital aids .

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:53 pm

This sort of issue is very difficult to diagnose without having the guitar in your hands. I'd strongly recommend taking the problem guitar(s) to a local luthier.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Return to “Luthiers”