As a first round in my experiment, I made this bridge removal "iron" out of soapstone, heated with an electrical rod heater controlled by a SSR/ PID controller/ thermo-couple. It got my test mule bridge off that was glued with Titebond Original once I got the temp to a good level.
I will build another one from lessons learned from this one:
1. Trying to heat a wing and the tie block part of the bridge at the same time is cumbersome and unnecessary
2. Need more weight - use a bigger piece of soapstone
3. Move the thermo-couple from the top to the bottom for better temp control.
The bridge came off clean without splintering the pine.
Some pics and a video. The video was trimmed from a long video and my phone ran out of battery just before the bridge came off. In the last part of the vid. I was rocking the soapstone on the curved wing to make better contact. In the next one I make, one of the surface will have a curve matching the wing for best contact/ heat transfer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SteveL123 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:31 am, edited 3 times in total.