Left Handed Spruce/Maple Build thread.

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
David Schramm
Luthier

Re: Left Handed Spruce/Maple Build thread.

Post by David Schramm » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:37 am

You can remove a lot more of that lattice. It is very common for luthiers to over build lattice bracing. You want the edges to be very flexible, and stiff in the middle. That is the whole mechanics of lattice bracing. Think loose edges. The lattice bracing is most effective that way. I used to over brace them at first, now that I've built over 100 of them I've got them figured out.
David Schramm

johnd

Post by johnd » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:05 pm

Pretty!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Post by Jason Wolverton » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:51 pm

Photos from beginning finish stage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I have discovered (to my joy) that it is life, not death, that has no limits."- Florentino Ariza

Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Post by Jason Wolverton » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:08 pm

Getting closer. Loving this quilted maple.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I have discovered (to my joy) that it is life, not death, that has no limits."- Florentino Ariza

doug

Post by doug » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:52 pm

GORGEOUS!!! :bravo:
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR
2017 Kenny Hill Player Cutaway, 640, Sp

Dave M

Post by Dave M » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:06 pm

Jason I see you have continued with the (weight saving?) removal of material in the big cross braces.

It would be interesting to see a proper analysis of this. LIke how much weight you can save and exactly what the effect on stiffness and hence functionality there is.
Dave

dta721

Post by dta721 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:34 pm

David Schramm wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:37 am
You can remove a lot more of that lattice. It is very common for luthiers to over build lattice bracing. You want the edges to be very flexible, and stiff in the middle. That is the whole mechanics of lattice bracing. Think loose edges. The lattice bracing is most effective that way. I used to over brace them at first, now that I've built over 100 of them I've got them figured out.
I appreciate the shared info, as a regular member of this forum (not a luthier). I found online a factory-made lattice braced guitar that seems to illustrate your point.

Thanks!

Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Post by Jason Wolverton » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:09 pm

Dave M wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:06 pm
Jason I see you have continued with the (weight saving?) removal of material in the big cross braces.

It would be interesting to see a proper analysis of this. LIke how much weight you can save and exactly what the effect on stiffness and hence functionality there is.
Dave,

The larger X in the middle of the lattice adds a lot of stiffness. By removing material, I was able to loosen up the top quite a bit.. until I was satisfied.

Regarding removing more of the lattice from the sides- There is a difference between what I'm doing here, and a Smallman style lattice where the sides are beefed up and supported by a large plywood rim. The design I use is less like a diaphragm that's isolated from everything else in the guitar, and more like a cohesive vibrating unit. Therefore, my soundboard requires a little more support from the braces. The feel is more organic, and the sound of the tonewood used for the back and sides is a larger contributing factor.

Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Post by Jason Wolverton » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:06 pm

18 hole tie block ala Romanillos. I used black horn to counter string deformation. Smelly stuff. The top of the tie block has Thuya burl bordered by the purfling used elsewhere on the guitar.

Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Post by Jason Wolverton » Thu May 31, 2018 6:07 pm

Some pictures of the completed guitar.

doug

Post by doug » Thu May 31, 2018 6:11 pm

That is a gorgeous guitar !!!
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR
2017 Kenny Hill Player Cutaway, 640, Sp

tkoehler1

Post by tkoehler1 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:24 pm

wow that is absolutely beautiful :-)!

Phuong Hong

Post by Phuong Hong » Thu May 31, 2018 8:44 pm

This is an incredible display of aesthetics and craftsmanship! The colors and contrasts jump out at every opportunity. Bravo, Jason! :applauso:

ddray

Post by ddray » Thu May 31, 2018 11:02 pm

Beautiful work. Did you ever finish a build using that bird's-eye maple you talked about in another thread? I might've missed it.
(Edit) never mind, I found the thread :D That's beautiful work as well.

Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Post by Jason Wolverton » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:09 pm

Thanks everyone for your compliments. Still trying to spread the word about the fantastic attributes of maple in classical guitar construction. It's funny how many people ignore guitars with maple back and sides. I still remember the Enrique Garcia spruce/maple that haunted me for days after I played it.

Return to “Luthiers”