A hairline top crack? (Pics)

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
astro64

Re: A hairline top crack? (Pics)

Post by astro64 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:12 pm

Put a light inside the guitar in a dark room. If there is a crack you will see the light coming out of it. Use a modern LED or other energy saving light. A hot bulb inside the guitar is not a good idea.

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:15 am

astro64 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:12 pm
Put a light inside the guitar in a dark room. If there is a crack you will see the light coming out of it. Use a modern LED or other energy saving light. A hot bulb inside the guitar is not a good idea.
Thanks Astro64, I have done that with a small flashlight, nothing came out. I think the crack is not that bad... yet...?
To send light into the darkness of men's heart, such is the duty of the artist. (Robert Schumann)

astro64

Post by astro64 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:41 pm

I really couldn't tell from your pictures where the crack was supposed to be. I saw the central seam and the slight color difference between the two halves of the top (which is perfectly normal). Of course you can see more with the guitar in hand than a picture can show. A small crack can have closed again with an increase in humidity; if it stays closed no dirt can get in and so an invisible repair some time in the future, if it does turn out to be a crack, would still be possible. If the humidity drops it can open again.

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:07 pm

astro64 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:41 pm
I really couldn't tell from your pictures where the crack was supposed to be. I saw the central seam and the slight color difference between the two halves of the top (which is perfectly normal). Of course you can see more with the guitar in hand than a picture can show. A small crack can have closed again with an increase in humidity; if it stays closed no dirt can get in and so an invisible repair some time in the future, if it does turn out to be a crack, would still be possible. If the humidity drops it can open again.
Thanks! Yes, you can only see the crack looking line by zooming in, otherwise it's invisible. it's just below the 3rd string. Hopefully, I will be able to visit the maker in a couple of months. I really hope it's not a crack!
To send light into the darkness of men's heart, such is the duty of the artist. (Robert Schumann)

rikart

Post by rikart » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:19 am

Thanks for this topic.
I have a soundboard which I made many years ago, and I intend using it for my next (second) guitar build. Rather stupidly however, I managed back then to lean heavily on it, and heard a nasty crack. Sorry about that - I can feel you cringing in horror. After I got over the initial shock, I examined it, but could find no visible damage at all. There must be some damage though, possibly along the join or beneath one of the braces. I must admit that I'm still sickened by the episode. Fortunately, having used hot hide glue, I will be able to easily remove the braces to inspect everything properly, using the suggestions here, to see if I can spot anything untoward. I might part the two halves if I cannot find anything, and then rejoin them to be certain of a secure fit, and re-glue the braces. The top is a quality piece of European spruce, with lovely bearclaw figuration, so I really want to try and save it.
rikart /warwick harte

Return to “Luthiers”