Maintaining Humidity

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
johnd

Maintaining Humidity

Post by johnd » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:19 pm

How do you maintain the humidity for you guitar(s).

1. In it's case.

2. In a humidity controlled cabinet.

3. Humidity controlled room.

4. Other.

Alytw

Re: Maintaining Humidy

Post by Alytw » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:20 pm

I keep it in the case with an oasis humidifier if needed and a hygrometer that I monitor.

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:30 pm

I made it into a cool DIY project and converted trash into treasure. An old armoire for a large screen tube TV became a glass paneled humidity control cabinet. It holds 6 guitars but has room for 8. Humidity is kept rock stable at 43%
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:33 pm

johnd wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:19 pm
How do you maintain the humidity for you guitar(s).

1. In it's case.

2. In a humidity controlled cabinet.

3. Humidity controlled room.

4. Other.
During the winter when the humidity drops below 40% I have a room humidifier that keeps the humidity to 45% at least and I also have an Oasis case humidifier for when I'm taking the guitar away from this environment. I keep a hygrometer in the case also.

During the summer I won't be humidifying the house lol...
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

johnd

Post by johnd » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:40 pm

BellyDoc wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:30 pm
I made it into a cool DIY project and converted trash into treasure. An old armoire for a large screen tube TV became a glass paneled humidity control cabinet. It holds 6 guitars but has room for 8. Humidity is kept rock stable at 43%
How do you control the humidity?

djqsrv

Post by djqsrv » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:20 pm

All my guitars hang on the wall in my music room / office. The easiest way for me to keep them all properly humidified is just keeping the room at the correct level. I do that with a nice big room humidifier. Works great.
“I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.“ - Jimi Hendrix

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:49 am

johnd wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:40 pm
BellyDoc wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:30 pm
How do you control the humidity?
I did a good job sealing, first of all. All the cracks and crevices were filled with West System epoxy before liberal finish coat applications, and I created a door seal system that works well enough that it hisses when I open and close. Second, I used a saturated salt solution for humidity stabilization.

It's an interesting point of physical chemistry that, in a closed system, different saturated salt solutions will equilibrate at different stable relative humidity levels. I use Potassium Carbonate, KCO3, which is a food-grade product. I bought a kilogram online, mixed up a saturated solution with most of it and then tossed in the rest as solids for the bottom. Then I poured the solution into a gallon bucket and put a cylindrical evaporative filter from a humidifier in there just to help increase the effective surface area for exchange.

Room humidity in my office/music hideout is currently 34% and the instrument cabinet is at 44%. If I were to leave the cabinet door open for a while and then close it again, it would drop toward ambient humidity in minutes and then climb back to equilibrium in an hour or two. Most of the time when I open the door long enough to take out or return a guitar, I'm unable to see a change on any of the hygrometers (there are 3) in the cabinet.

I'd post pictures, but I haven't had a picture hosting site since photobucket ended free hosting.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

vesa

Post by vesa » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:48 am

Here in Finland in the winter months inside humidity drops under 20%.

1. I keep all my guitars in their cases.
3. I use a humidifier in my studio to keep the level at 40-45 %.
4. I use always (in winter time) a Dampit humidifier when I take my guitars out from the studio.

Never a single crack if I follow these rules - always a crack (sooner or later) if I don't.
Vesa Kuokkanen

Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:04 am

BellyDoc wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:49 am

I'd post pictures, but I haven't had a picture hosting site since photobucket ended free hosting.
FYI: Flickr is free and you get 1 TB of space.
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

johnd

Post by johnd » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:15 pm

Thanks everyone!

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:57 pm

It's about time I solve the image hosting issue. Thanks for the kick in the butt. ;)

Here's my cabinet:

Here's the "humidity stabilizer":

The current RH inside is 41%, after having the door open to take that pic. It's 31% in the room.

Armin Hanika 56PF

simonm

Post by simonm » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:20 pm

BellyDoc wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:49 am
For pictures on any forum, you are far better to upload directly to the forum. Here as on many other forums there are load so threads that have become much less useful because all that is left of the photos is a photo bucket placeholder. Can happen with any "free" service.

johnd

Post by johnd » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:15 am

BellyDoc wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:57 pm
It's about time I solve the image hosting issue. Thanks for the kick in the butt. ;)

Here's my cabinet:

Here's the "humidity stabilizer":

The current RH inside is 41%, after having the door open to take that pic. It's 31% in the room.
WOW. Great Work!!!!

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:33 pm

A very useful humidity controller is unfired clay . Japanese traditional houses have internal walls made of clay and the humidity control is about 45 to 65 % which is very healthy for them . A cabinet with several small , close shelves at the sides can hold the clay . It will absorb moisture above the ideal level and release moisture if the air gets too dry. Occasional checks and a bowl of water will provide a safe environment . There is plenty about unfired clay and humidity buffering on the net. The science is pretty solid and basic and saves energy too .

Luuttuaja

Re: Maintaining Humidity

Post by Luuttuaja » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:06 am

I have two room humidifiers which I use if the humidity drops below 45 %. The last time it happened was probably last may.

Return to “Luthiers”