Symmetric vs asymmetric bass strings?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Pat Dodson

Re: Symmetric vs asymmetric bass strings?

Post by Pat Dodson » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:05 pm

James Lister wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:09 am
Complete nonsense.
I’m not so sure James. Based on my own experience in creating a similar asymmetry, I think there just might be something in it.

Having studied the benefits of Fender’s reverse wound single coil pickups, I have taken to alternating the direction of windings of my E, A and D strings. (Before restringing, I take all 3 strings from their sleeves, hold them together and turn one of the 3 upside down.) My wife swears this has led to a welcome improvement as, since doing this, we find I no longer hum while playing.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:23 pm

Pat Dodson wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:05 pm
James Lister wrote:
Complete nonsense.
I’m not so sure James. Based on my own experience in creating a similar asymmetry, I think there just might be something in it.

Having studied the benefits of Fender’s reverse wound single coil pickups, I have taken to alternating the direction of windings of my E, A and D strings. (Before restringing, I take all 3 strings from their sleeves, hold them together and turn one of the 3 upside down.) My wife swears this has led to a welcome improvement as, since doing this, we find I no longer hum while playing.
The "hum" problem is most likely due to an inadequately filtered power supply...inverting one of the strings increases the negative feedback and reduces the hum. The only downside is that the volume of your playing will be slightly decreased. :lol:
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:22 pm

Beowulf wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:09 pm
James Lister wrote:
Complete nonsense.
What exactly is "complete nonsense"?
In case it wasn't clear, I was referring to the video, not to any comment on the thread. :)

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:30 pm

Pat Dodson wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:05 pm
James Lister wrote:
Complete nonsense.

I refer you to my first post in this thread. :wink:

Seriously though, does anyone actually believe this stuff? I find it rather depressing. If anyone still thinks this guy has a clue, just take a look at the comments below the YouTube video. He gives completely meaningless answers to someone who questioned his assertion that the guitar would sound better strung this way.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:48 pm

:wink:

Not humming again

Alan Carruth
Luthier

Post by Alan Carruth » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:28 pm

This is another of those things that would be surprisingly hard to subject to a really good scientific test. There may be lots of anecdotal evidence, but given the prevalence of confirmation bias it's hard to credit. If you had two 'identical' guitars you could do a direct A/B bind comparison, but that's 'a consummation devoutly to be wished'. There's no rapid way to swap out strings on a single guitar, so you can't test it live the way you can something like a side port. Making properly controlled recordings to compare is more difficult and tedious than you might believe. If you believe it works, then do it, but don't expect to convince me any time soon.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:40 pm

ameriken wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:55 pm
Is this a load of crap or something that actually makes sense?
Thanks for the answers everyone. Prior to seeing that video I was unfamiliar with both Diaz as well as the concept of 'symmetrical' strings. Looks like the consensus is leaning toward 'load of crap'. :lol:
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:32 am

Seems like a load of 💩💩💩 to me too 😜

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:14 am

Cloth Ears wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:48 pm
Do yourself a favour and ignore anything Ruben Diaz says, he was wisely banned from foroflamenco.com

As for your actual question, I offer no opinion.
The self-proclaimed professor has also been banned from several other forums, CG and flamenco.

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:17 am

You got a problem with that??

Brian M

Post by Brian M » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:54 am

oc chuck wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:17 am

You got a problem with that??
Wow. Just, wow. That's some playing.

Peter_T
Amateur luthier

Post by Peter_T » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:09 am

can someone link the Tabs for that piece please

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:36 am

Brian M wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:54 am
Wow. Just, wow. That's some playing.
Yes, but what's the connection with music :?
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Keith

Post by Keith » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:50 am

let's say that the bass e string picks up a little by stringing it in the typical d string roller. in theory, then, the d string should lose a little bit by putting it in the typical e string roller. I guess there is always a trade-off.

The masked man in the video has a very long history of bizarro behaviors and, as it was mentioned, his videos/name have been banned from Foroflamenco. Go to Foroflamenco or Guitar Salon forums and read the many threads to see how truly bizarre this guy can be. You may need to go back several years as this guy has been around for awhile. Definitely read the posts during the years when Paco was alive.

Can we really take serious a person who wears a sleeping mask (first video) or a parrot shirt with plaid pajama bottoms (second video) in a publically displayed video of his making?
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

James Frieson

Post by James Frieson » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:44 am

The ideas of Ruben Diaz are not orthodox , and not accepted by many . But what is his inspiration , and the origin of his ideas ? It is Paco de Lucia . Paco de Lucia was not only a guitarist of a very great ability , but he was also an intellectual . He kept his ideas to himself because they did not conform to the orthodoxy prevalent in the Francoist Spanish culture he grew up in , nor to the orthodoxy of ' traditional flamenco ' . I did not know Paco de Lucia well , but my best friend was a very close friend of his , other friends were also very close to him , so I heard it from them .
Whether one likes or dislikes the ideas and developments of Paco de Lucia for guitar construction and development of musical technique as represented by Ruben Diaz , they should be considred on their merits ; personally I find them of great interest . I do not give a fig if this or that forum has barred him . The man can play a blue streak around most players I have encountered .
The nasty comments made about him , expression of bandwagon fallacy and what I think of as Snob From Small Town-ism , do not reflect well on the people that make them .
As to alignment of strings to tuning posts according to string mass and pitch , I do not see anything wrong with it as an aesthetic choice .

Return to “Luthiers”