Symmetric vs asymmetric bass strings?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
James Frieson

Re: Symmetric vs asymmetric bass strings?

Post by James Frieson » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:52 am

Stauffer guitar , or Stauffer Martin guitar , are two search terms by which one can very easily see extremely well known instruments , strung in exactly the format which is being riduculed by commenters . Little crap emojis , consensus ganging up on an individual not present and who conveniently may not answer , name calling ad hominems ? I contend , it is not to be admired .

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:10 pm

James Frieson wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:44 am
The ideas of Ruben Diaz are not orthodox , and not accepted by many . But what is his inspiration , and the origin of his ideas ? It is Paco de Lucia.
Umm, that's a pretty big logical leap without justification - from inspiration of ideas to origin of ideas. Anyone can be inspired without the source of the inspiration knowing about it. What evidence do you have - besides Diaz's say-so - that his ideas originated with Paco de Lucia?

Also, up-thread his "idea" about the asymmetric bass string was discussed on the merits and dismissed for lacking even basic awareness of the physics of vibrating strings. DIaz's response for being asked for justification of his claim was to get huffy, produce a laughable unmoored-from-physics response, and bar the person asking from commenting any further. That's a pretty alarming response. That and many other experiences dealing with him is what culminates in him being banned from forums or generally dismissed outright now. The onus is on him now to prove that he is not what the pattern of his actions says he is.

Finally, imagine there was actually some guy, let's call him Ben Benson (hopefully no real person has that name in a flamenco context) who can prove Paco personally gave him notes with ideas, one of which is that asymmetric bass stringing makes for a better sound because "the thicker the string is it needs more length". Assessing this on the merits still results it a "hahaha" rating because it makes no sense and is divorced from basic physics, regardless of who made the claim.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

James Frieson

Post by James Frieson » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:34 am

guitarrista wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:10 pm
James Frieson wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:44 am
The ideas of Ruben Diaz are not orthodox , and not accepted by many . But what is his inspiration , and the origin of his ideas ? It is Paco de Lucia.
Umm, that's a pretty big logical leap without justification - from inspiration of ideas to origin of ideas. Anyone can be inspired without the source of the inspiration knowing about it. What evidence do you have - besides Diaz's say-so - that his ideas originated with Paco de Lucia?

Also, up-thread his "idea" about the asymmetric bass string was discussed on the merits and dismissed for lacking even basic awareness of the physics of vibrating strings. DIaz's response for being asked for justification of his claim was to get huffy, produce a laughable unmoored-from-physics response, and bar the person asking from commenting any further. That's a pretty alarming response. That and many other experiences dealing with him is what culminates in him being banned from forums or generally dismissed outright now. The onus is on him now to prove that he is not what the pattern of his actions says he is.

Finally, imagine there was actually some guy, let's call him Ben Benson (hopefully no real person has that name in a flamenco context) who can prove Paco personally gave him notes with ideas, one of which is that asymmetric bass stringing makes for a better sound because "the thicker the string is it needs more length". Assessing this on the merits still results it a "hahaha" rating because it makes no sense and is divorced from basic physics, regardless of who made the claim.
I hesard some of the ideas presented by Ruben attributed to Paco , from Paco himself , with my own eyes and ears . I do not think that Ruben is a liar , a fraud , a dishonest man . He is opinionated ? Yes , absolutely . Appeals to ridicule are a logical fallacy ; whether one likes or dislikes the man and his propositions , they should be examined without bias .

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:01 am

I notice you carefully avoided saying anything about the "asymmetric bass strings" and the fact that the claim was examined on the merits - which is what this thread was about - a particular claim. I even brought it up again in the middle paragraph that you quoted above. Are you trying to gaslight us all here by pretending none of this actually happened - else how could you possibly claim with a straight face that people are just ridiculing Diaz instead of examining his ideas on the merits? I would suggest that you keep to the particular claim if you'd like to have a constructive discussion in this thread.

Also, you two posts back:
I did not know Paco de Lucia well , but my best friend was a very close friend of his , other friends were also very close to him , so I heard it from them
Versus you just now :
I heard some of the ideas presented by Ruben attributed to Paco , from Paco himself , with my own eyes and ears
Which is it? Both cannot be true simultaneously. Weird, eh?
Last edited by guitarrista on Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

James Frieson

Post by James Frieson » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:56 am

guitarrista wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:01 am
I notice you carefully avoided saying anything about the "asymmetric bass strings" and the fact that the claim was examined on the merits - which is what this thread was about - a particular claim. I even brought it up again in the middle paragraph that you quoted above. Are you trying to gaslight us all here by pretending none of this actually happened - else how could you possibly claim with a straight face that people are just ridiculing Diaz instead of examining his ideas on the merits? I would suggest that you keep to the particular claim if you'd like to have a constructive discussion in this thread.

Also, you two posts back:
I did not know Paco de Lucia well , but my best friend was a very close friend of his , other friends were also very close to him , so I heard it from them
Versus you just now :
I heard some of the ideas presented by Ruben attributed to Paco , from Paco himself , with my own eyes and ears
Which is it? Both cannot be true simultaneously. Weird, eh?
Meeting someone , and knowing smeone very well , is the same thing ? I think if one accepts such claim , logic may be discarded .
I have mentioned the alignment of strings in Stauffer . I have objected to is the personal attacks on a person not present , which are self evident .

Return to “Luthiers”