A problem in my guitar

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
oyuncuumut

A problem in my guitar

Post by oyuncuumut » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:52 am

When I started playing I had a old guitar waiting for probably years. Now I use a lend guitar but I cant take it to my house and my guitar at my house it kinda bad so I cant play at home. Problem is this it gets out of tune quickly and after some time you need to tighten the strings so much 1. fret becomes very hard to play compared to other strings I recently changed strings but it is still the same do you know why this might happen?

OldPotter

Re: A problem in my guitar

Post by OldPotter » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:35 am

Its very hard to be certain without seeing the guitar, but it sounds as if there are at least two problems.

If the strings keep going out of tune, nylon strings do stretch more than steel and do need tuning more when first installed.
Perhaps the knot at the bridge or the roller is loose.
Perhaps the neck is unstable and not straight and bends as you tighten the strings.

If the 1st fret is hard to play then it usually means that the slots in the nut (bone at the top) are too high. Its possible to check the height using this idea; viewtopic.php?f=11&t=64845#topic4 . Look at the section marked "Action".
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:02 am

Which strings do you use? How do you tune the instrument? Which reference pitch are you using (e.g. 440 Hz)?

How long since you put the new strings on? If you say, they go out of tune quickly, what is quickly (e.g. 5 min, 15 min, 1 hour)? Are they secured properly or are they slipping (roller and/or bridge)?

oyuncuumut

Post by oyuncuumut » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:28 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I dont think it is becaues strings are new since older strings got out of tune as quickly that's why I changed strings but they are the same. They get out of tune after playing like 30 min. or so. I use a electronic tuner so it is probably reliable. A friend of mine took the guitar from me he knows some guy I hope he can find the problem. I will update later if I can fix the problem.Thanks

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:09 pm

Do you leave the guitar in the same room as you play it in.If you take a uitar into a warmer room it will go out of tune quite quickly until it settles. I find this when I play at the local pub I need to wait at least 30 mins to be sure.Is it all strings or just the trebles?

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:21 am

oyuncuumut wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:28 pm
Thanks for all the replies. I dont think it is becaues strings are new since older strings got out of tune as quickly that's why I changed strings but they are the same. They get out of tune after playing like 30 min. or so. I use a electronic tuner so it is probably reliable. A friend of mine took the guitar from me he knows some guy I hope he can find the problem. I will update later if I can fix the problem.Thanks
I’d say if you are able to play for 30 minutes without having to adjust the tuning on brand new strings that is unusual. Every time I put on new strings, I am retuning them every few minutes for at least the first day, but am able to play longer without tuning the next day, and it gets better the day after that. So how new are the new strings?

As has been mentioned previously, the strings could be slipping at the roller or the tie block. There is a good video on YouTube by Martin Guitars on how to change nylon strings on a classical guitar, just go to YT and search for it. Also at YouTube is a video of an alternate way to secure your strings at the roller by Fretnot guitar repair. I found it by accident, but it is the same way that I’ve been tying my strings for years. Guaranteed not to slip.

dta721

Post by dta721 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:42 pm

oyuncuumut wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:52 am
When I started playing I had a old guitar waiting for probably years. Now I use a lend guitar but I cant take it to my house and my guitar at my house it kinda bad so I cant play at home.
Can you confirm my understanding:
1. You have an old guitar at home, it is kinda bad that you don't play it at all?
2. You now have a loaner guitar, someone lends you another guitar, and you have problem with this (loaner) guitar, not your guitar at home?
3. Was it a typo, the statement "Now I use a lend guitar but I cant take it to my house" should read "Now I use a lend guitar but I can take it to my house"?
4.Do you know if the loaner guitar has a history of tuning problem, or not? And how old is the loaner guitar, has it been played at all over the years?

oyuncuumut

Post by oyuncuumut » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:03 am

dta721 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:42 pm
oyuncuumut wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:52 am
When I started playing I had a old guitar waiting for probably years. Now I use a lend guitar but I cant take it to my house and my guitar at my house it kinda bad so I cant play at home.
Can you confirm my understanding:
1. You have an old guitar at home, it is kinda bad that you don't play it at all?
2. You now have a loaner guitar, someone lends you another guitar, and you have problem with this (loaner) guitar, not your guitar at home?
3. Was it a typo, the statement "Now I use a lend guitar but I cant take it to my house" should read "Now I use a lend guitar but I can take it to my house"?
4.Do you know if the loaner guitar has a history of tuning problem, or not? And how old is the loaner guitar, has it been played at all over the years?
No I have no problem with the lend guitar and my own guitar at home is not that bad I think, but as I said there is a problem with it sometimes there is noticible difference in tone even after playing couple of minutes (5 min maybe) but now I gave the guitar to a friend he knows a luthier so I hope he can fix it.

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:25 pm

When I've seen this on low cost guitars, which I assume this is, it's because the tuners gears actually slip. You can try tightening the screw that holds the gear in place, but if the tuners are really bad, they will have to be upgraded. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a functional tuner these days.

Return to “Luthiers”