remedy for enlarged tie block holes

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
SteveL123
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:05 pm

remedy for enlarged tie block holes

Post by SteveL123 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:23 am

What are some good ways of fixing enlarged tie block holes as depicted?
20180302_224827-1305x979.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Trevor Gore
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:57 pm

Re: remedy for enlarged tie block holes

Post by Trevor Gore » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:18 am

Trevor Gore: Classical Guitar Design and Build

JRomano
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:35 pm
Location: Warwickshire, United Kingdom

Re: remedy for enlarged tie block holes

Post by JRomano » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:21 am

The luthier Lubos Naprstek, based in New Jersey, has a video of repairs he made to a Hauser. One of the things he did was to fix the enlarged string holes by filling them with strips of rosewood and re-drilling the holes. Seemed to work just fine, and he explains it in some detail on the video. Here's the link, in case it's of interest:

He makes beautiful guitars, too. I was lucky enough to try one in Philadelphia one time. Amazing.

SteveL123
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:05 pm

Re: remedy for enlarged tie block holes

Post by SteveL123 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:04 pm

Trevor Gore wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:18 am
Bushings.
That's a great idea with brass bushes. Are there issues with string breakage provided all entry/exit holes are rounded and polished. What size o.d. bushes did you use?

Edit: McMasters has 1/16 , 3/16 , and 1/8 o.d. brass tubings https://www.mcmaster.com/#brass-rods/=1bt5zc0

I think 3/16 would be a good size since 1/16 is too small and 1/8 is too big.

A reservation to be considered on using brass bushes is the additional weight it adds to the bridge. Do you think it would change the tone and response of the guitar?
Last edited by SteveL123 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SteveL123
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:05 pm

Re: remedy for enlarged tie block holes

Post by SteveL123 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:23 pm

JRomano wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:21 am
The luthier Lubos Naprstek, based in New Jersey, has a video of repairs he made to a Hauser. One of the things he did was to fix the enlarged string holes by filling them with strips of rosewood and re-drilling the holes. Seemed to work just fine, and he explains it in some detail on the video. Here's the link, in case it's of interest:

He makes beautiful guitars, too. I was lucky enough to try one in Philadelphia one time. Amazing.
Thanks for the video. I was thinking of the same idea.... gluing a piece of shim in the hole to lower the exit point. I was going to use Water Buffalo horn since it's tougher and last longer than Rosewood.

JRomano
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:35 pm
Location: Warwickshire, United Kingdom

Re: remedy for enlarged tie block holes

Post by JRomano » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:29 pm

Good luck.

chiral3
Posts: 1959
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:08 pm
Location: Philadelphia Area, PA / New York.

Re: remedy for enlarged tie block holes

Post by chiral3 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:37 pm

Bridgeholiomegaly isn't reversible but, with healthy lifestyle choices, can be slowed down.
"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect" - Margaret Mitchell

User avatar
Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 1228
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:23 am
Location: Blaine, WA

Re: remedy for enlarged tie block holes

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:44 pm

chiral3 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:37 pm
Bridgeholiomegaly isn't reversible but, with healthy lifestyle choices, can be slowed down.
:D And what do you prescribe Doc? I assume one preventive measure is not dragging the entire length of your low E string through the hole every time you change strings.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

SteveL123
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:05 pm

Re: remedy for enlarged tie block holes

Post by SteveL123 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:50 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:44 pm
chiral3 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:37 pm
Bridgeholiomegaly isn't reversible but, with healthy lifestyle choices, can be slowed down.
:D And what do you prescribe Doc? I assume one preventive measure is not dragging the entire length of your low E string through the hole every time you change strings.
Vaseline?

User avatar
Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 1228
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:23 am
Location: Blaine, WA

Re: remedy for enlarged tie block holes

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:02 pm

SteveL123 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:50 pm
Rick Beauregard wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:44 pm
chiral3 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:37 pm
Bridgeholiomegaly isn't reversible but, with healthy lifestyle choices, can be slowed down.
:D And what do you prescribe Doc? I assume one preventive measure is not dragging the entire length of your low E string through the hole every time you change strings.
Vaseline?
Abstinence? :roll:
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

SteveL123
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:05 pm

Re: remedy for enlarged tie block holes

Post by SteveL123 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:04 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:02 pm
SteveL123 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:50 pm
Rick Beauregard wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:44 pm


:D And what do you prescribe Doc? I assume one preventive measure is not dragging the entire length of your low E string through the hole every time you change strings.
Vaseline?
Abstinence? :roll:
From changing strings? :P

chiral3
Posts: 1959
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:08 pm
Location: Philadelphia Area, PA / New York.

Re: remedy for enlarged tie block holes

Post by chiral3 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:22 pm

Avoid high tension, reduce exposure to high levels of carbon. Current guidance is to shoot for A=440.
"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect" - Margaret Mitchell

User avatar
Trevor Gore
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:57 pm

Re: remedy for enlarged tie block holes

Post by Trevor Gore » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:28 pm

SteveL123 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:04 pm
What size o.d. bushes did you use?
I used 3/32" (~2.3mm).
SteveL123 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:04 pm
Are there issues with string breakage provided all entry/exit holes are rounded and polished.
Not in my experience.
Trevor Gore: Classical Guitar Design and Build

SteveL123
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:05 pm

Re: remedy for enlarged tie block holes

Post by SteveL123 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:07 am

Thanks Trevor, turns out the enlarged holes only "looked" that way at the exit and the poor break angle was mostly due to the 6 hole tie block. I did not go the bushings or shims route, instead I converted it last night to 12 holes and also made a new lower bone saddle to lower the action a little bit. The break angle looks much better after the conversion. I put on a new set of strings Augustine Black Label standard tension waiting for the strings to stretch out and guitar settle.

Some before and after pics.
6 hole break angle-979x1305.jpg
20180304_195644-1305x979.jpg
20180304_195743-1305x979.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Luthiers”