Is there any way to further lower the action on my cordoba gk?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments

Is there any way to further lower the action on my cordoba gk?

Post by CrisJoaquim » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:37 pm

I'm dabbling in flamenco a bit and having fun doing it. I Own a gk studio negra as well as a Yamah cg171sf and I'm possibly going to end up selling one. I'm enjoying the yamaha a bit more because the action is much much better. It still has a bit to go on the saddle if I wanted to lower it more but I think it's pretty much perfect for me the way it is.

I like the gk too, although in terms of tone they sound pretty similar to me, the only problem I have with the gk is that the action is too high, for flamenco standards at least. When I got it initially, which was used for a good price, I took it to my luthier and asked to have the action lowered on the nut and saddle. He told me he can do it for cheap but that there wasn't too much saddle left to go. He lowered it as much as he could pretty much and looking at it, there's definitely not much more of the saddle to go down. I haven't measured the action on the 12th, however it seems noticeably higher than my Yamaha, more of how I would have my classicals set up. I don't know IF i need two guitars for flamenco given that I mainly just play it for fun, but is there any way to have the action on the 12th lowered any more? It does have a truss rod, and measuring it on the 7th it doesn't have more relief than the Yamaha, but I don't know if that would do anything with the action at the 12th. Also, the intonation on the GK is spot on so I don't know if messing with the truss would mess up intonation for me.

On a side note, I had another question if anybody has played both guitars. Looking at it from retail, the yamaha was 350 or so new, the gk is 650 I believe? The Gk looks real nice, and that's one thing I like about it, but does much justifity the price over the yamaha? am I paying that much more because of the electronics? I'm probably going to end up keeping the GK, probably not so much for flamenco though. Anybody have a preference between the two?

Re: Is there any way to further lower the action on my cordoba gk?

Post by simonm » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:12 pm

If you believe your luthier, then the answer is clear. Get rid of it and get a flamenco guitar. "messing with the truss rod" is not a good idea. :-)

Never heard of GK guitars. The Cordoba brand is quite well know. It is likely that the materials are marginally more expensive and there is a bit more labour to fit the truss rod and the pick-up. That, plus marketing, accounts for the price difference.

You mention you are studying guitar performance - ask around where ever you are studying and see if someone has a flamenco guitar they want to sell.

John higgon
Amateur luthier

Re: Is there any way to further lower the action on my cordoba gk?

Post by John higgon » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:39 pm

The nuclear option is to plane down the part of the bridge which acts as the walls to the saddle slot. That exposes more of the saddle and in that way you can reduce the action a bit further. But (a) it's not something to try yourself, and (b) it is likely to have some effect on the tone. There is a limit to how much you can reduce the saddle slot. There has to be enough slot for the saddle to sit in... Bear in mind that reducing the action at the saddle by x will result in reduced action at the 12th fret of x/2.

Return to “Luthiers”