Super Light Classical Guitar Case

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
MrF1

Super Light Classical Guitar Case

Post by MrF1 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:02 pm

I'm contemplating the Super Light classical guitar case sold by Rokkoman. I found one thread from a few years ago and there was some interest in them here on Delcamp. At $200, definitely pricey for a polyfoam case. I'm hoping someone who has used one will chime in with some user feedback. Thanks!
Last edited by MrF1 on Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrF1

Re: Super Light Classical Guitar Case

Post by MrF1 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:22 pm

Here's a photo....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:30 pm

How do the Rokkoman compare to lower price Polyfoam cases such as the Cordoba for $70 from Strings by Mail besides being almost 3 x the cost?

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CATA ... B8zQZD9g2o

James Frieson

Post by James Frieson » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:35 am

I have used them , I have shipped guitars with them . I found them reliable , have not had any problems with them .

souldier

Post by souldier » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:26 pm

Long review for the OP:
I have used mine for quite some time now. They truly live up to their name "Super Light"... Carrying it around by hand or on my back is effortless, which is the biggest plus of this case. This will be lighter than other polyfoam cases on the market and certainly lighter than any hardshell case. Having a case this light really makes handling it a breeze. I often transport my guitar to different venues and such so this matters a lot to me. I have a friend who has a Hoffee case and I personally can't imagine lugging that tank around. I used to use a Visesnut case which is very light, but this Super Light is significantly lighter. It also has a nylon exterior so accidently bumping into walls and such isn't an issue.

Personally I feel that guitars can better survive a drop in a polyfoam case than a hardshell case because foam absorbs and distributes the shock rather than transferring the shock to the instrument. My guitar has accidently fallen over in this case pretty hard with no damage. Another member on this forum had the headstock on his guitar break just from a light drop in his hardshell case.

Why $200? It is probably more expensive because of little details such as an outer shell that repells/beads water, it has a water resistant zipper, it has a lockable flap using a key that keeps the guitar closed even if the zipper is open, it has metal hinges that keep the top and bottom pieces together, it has some velvet lining inside with some light padding, high quality back straps and hardware, metal feet so it can stand on its own, an inner compartment that opens and closes on its own, better styling, smaller footprint, etc.... You'll notice these little details that other polyfoam cases do not have. $200 indeed is a bit pricey and probably overly so, but it depends on if the case meets your personal needs or not.

The large spacious pocket on the front is a huge plus... I put my Barnett support, Barnett armrest, books, bartlett mic, microphone chord, etc. in there. It fits a tonne of stuff. When I used to use a visesnut case, it had like almost zero room for storage so I'd have to carry these things separately. With the superlight case, I can fit everything I need and the case will still feel light and manageable when fully packed. This is one reason I probably can't go back to other cases that don't have these storage options.

Another plus is the company stands behind their product. I had a minor issue with one of the hinges, and the company sent me a brand new case free of charge, hassle free.

For an around town kind of case, it is convenient and will provide ample protection. The major draw back of polyfoam cases is that it has limited crush strength, so you can't stand on top of the case as you could some other hardshell cases... otherwise I think it is superior for shock absorption. As James Frieson has experienced, you can ship a guitar in it without any issues.

With that said it isn't perfect. I would prefer that the polyfoam were thicker and more rigid in some parts as it is on the Gator or TKL polyfoam cases, but they probably shaved it down to make the case the lightest case on the market. The fit of the guitar also isn't perfect... I think they made the inner compartment a bit larger so that it can accommodate larger sized classical guitars. So what I do is put a piece of foam at the top of the headstock to ensure the guitar does not move around while in transit.

All in all I'm pretty happy with it, but it may not be for everyone. The only other polyfoam alternative that is readily available is the Gator Lightweight Polyfoam case. I opted not to get this one because the handle design will break after some years of use if you use the handle often, and the backpack straps attach too high on the case, so the guitar will ride too low and bump into your legs if being used as a backpack. The gator also has less storage space in the front pocket.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:39 pm

These cases look EXACTLY like what my Yamaha GC22 came in! Right down to the interior geometry.

I have to say that I'm a fan of this case. I bought a Humicase but I don't use it because this fits more snugly, it has MUCH more padding and it's much lighter.
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

MrF1

Post by MrF1 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:14 pm

souldier wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:26 pm
Long review for the OP.....
Souldier, thank you so very much for the detailed review! Looks as if it's a great case for schlepping a guitar around town. My Navarro Reyes needs a better case and I've always been a fan of polyfoam cases, for daily use (hard cases for serious traveling).

I'm currently immersed in the musical world of flamenco, so I need the ample storage pocket for my method books which accompany me to my weekly lesson.

Super Light case should do the trick.

Thanks again!

souldier

Post by souldier » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:02 pm

MrF1 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:14 pm
souldier wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:26 pm
Long review for the OP.....
Souldier, thank you so very much for the detailed review! Looks as if it's a great case for schlepping a guitar around town. My Navarro Reyes needs a better case and I've always been a fan of polyfoam cases, for daily use (hard cases for serious traveling).

I'm currently immersed in the musical world of flamenco, so I need the ample storage pocket for my method books which accompany me to my weekly lesson.

Super Light case should do the trick.

Thanks again!
Glad to help. I believe there is also a decent return policy if it doesn't meet your needs.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

bauersachs82

Post by bauersachs82 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:45 pm

How well do the polyfoam cases maintain humidity?

MrF1

Post by MrF1 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:47 am

bauersachs82 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:45 pm
I live in southeast Louisiana where lots of humidity is always present. The Super Light case functions much like any other case I've owned (including a Calton and a Hoffee) when it comes to having a good seal. It doesn't have a built-in humidifier, but it does have a very high quality zipper that provides tight closure.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:28 pm

MrF1 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:47 am
bauersachs82 wrote:
I live in southeast Louisiana where lots of humidity is always present. The Super Light case functions much like any other case I've owned (including a Calton and a Hoffee) when it comes to having a good seal. It doesn't have a built-in humidifier, but it does have a very high quality zipper that provides tight closure.
What kind of high quality zipper does it have? Unless it has a special water proof zipper, something like this http://ykknorthamerica.com/product/aquaseal/ (used in diving dry suits) it is going to leak like a sieve.

jojobean

Post by jojobean » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:24 pm

SteveL123 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:28 pm
MrF1 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:47 am
bauersachs82 wrote:
What kind of high quality zipper does it have? Unless it has a special water proof zipper, something like this http://ykknorthamerica.com/product/aquaseal/ (used in diving dry suits) it is going to leak like a sieve.
I agree. I cannot see that these are really going to provide a seal like a Calton case does.

es335

Post by es335 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:52 pm

The website states that the Super Light Cases have YKK Aqua Guard Zippers - "Only this rain proof zipper made in YKK Japan factory can use the "Aqua Guard" name. Super Light is the exclusive user in music industry for this item." :wink:

MrF1

Post by MrF1 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:43 pm

es335 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:52 pm
The website states that the Super Light Cases have YKK Aqua Guard Zippers - "Only this rain proof zipper made in YKK Japan factory can use the "Aqua Guard" name. Super Light is the exclusive user in music industry for this item." :wink:
Thanks es355! Beat me to it...

YKK Aqua Guard Zipper

Only this rain proof zipper made in YKK Japan factory can use the "Aqua Guard" name. Super Light is the exclusive user in music industry for this item.

Anyway, it's my humble opinion that these are fantastic cases, constructed with very high-quality materials, and well designed. Best soft case I've ever owned. I'll let you all debate the finer points of humidity management.

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:37 pm

My 2 cents, (take it with a pinch of salt)

I would buy the 70$ light weight case, and put the other 130$ into a piggy bank(in order to buy a proper dehumidifier or topay the electricity bill when using the AC to dry up the practice room...)

I find that if a lower the room humidity(45-55% is the pre practice goal) before the practice (and keep an eye on it, maybe correcting it a bit when it goes over 60%) my spruce guitars behave properly , even in an extra humid place like Ireland or a semi tropical weather extra humid place in Spain... (is the price of being 1000 meters to the sea,and the advantage of using a small room to play...)
Last edited by Mr.Rain on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Luthiers”