Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
soltirefa

Re: Guitar support for large guitar - Tripodium or other device

Post by soltirefa » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:21 pm

Another lute with a strap tutorial.

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:08 pm

BEHOLD!! A tripodium for the 21st century!

I shall call it ... the swing-armium?

IMG_1463.JPG
My scan to PDF, email to self, receive and upload to board effort failed spectacularly... not unlike many of my inventions... :shock:

Here is a cellphone pic of one of the doodles, in order to at least share concept.

I also did details of the concept of how I envisioned using suction cups to anchor a guitar body into the cradle part.

I think it would be important to incorporate a damper inline with the support springs so that the entire mechanism won't shoot upward when the guitar is lifted off, but instead will rise slowly to where it tops out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:56 pm

BellyDoc wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:08 pm
BEHOLD!! A tripodium for the 21st century!

I shall call it ... the swing-armium?

IMG_1463.JPG

My scan to PDF, email to self, receive and upload to board effort failed spectacularly... not unlike many of my inventions... :shock:

Here is a cellphone pic of one of the doodles, in order to at least share concept.

I also did details of the concept of how I envisioned using suction cups to anchor a guitar body into the cradle part.

I think it would be important to incorporate a damper inline with the support springs so that the entire mechanism won't shoot upward when the guitar is lifted off, but instead will rise slowly to where it tops out.
Awesome!

I can’t help but be struck by how much it looks like my nifty Levo G2 Essential tablet and book holder that lets me read while lying down in bed. The thing has interchangeable heads, one I use for my Kindle or iPad, and one for books. It uses simple hair bands with metal ends to affix a tablet to the head. The books attachment system uses Velcro straps and sprung page holders.

It seems like the head on your device is going to take some thought. What kind of ball joint would give the player a good amount of movement? I wonder if we could buy those scissor arms off the shelf somewhere. It must be possible.

I like that leg pad idea that would transfer some of the weight of the guitar to the player's leg, as you mentioned in a previous post.

Do you have a simple clamp on the column? The Levo has one but the whole thing is pretty cheaply made, I wouldn’t hang twelve pounds from it.

Your design looks pretty simple, overall, but the devil is in the details, of course.

I had a great lesson with my teacher today. He sees a lot of potential for the instrument and says I can put theorbo players out of business, haha! We all know that that’s a profitable niche!

The silly Levo Essential G2 book and tablet holder:
TabletHolderFaceDown.jpg
TabletHolderWithBook.jpg
TabletStandWithKindle.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:51 pm

soltirefa wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:21 pm
Another lute with a strap tutorial.

Thanks for posting this video. I guess you don't need a lap strap for small lutes.

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:50 am

larryguitar wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:56 pm

...I can’t help but be struck by how much it looks like my nifty Levo G2 Essential tablet and book holder that lets me read while lying down in bed.

... I wonder if we could buy those scissor arms off the shelf somewhere. It must be possible.

Great thinking! These are useful insights! In fact one of the fun parts of tinkering, for me, is finding novel ways to repurpose existing tech.

The first thing I thought when I saw your tablet stand was, "could he bolt a guitar support on that and be DONE?" If it could be height adjusted to your liking and hold the weight ... maybe! It probably wouldn't have the mobility that you'd want though.

Googling around, I see that there are heavy duty swing arms available as monitor mounts. They have multi-axis swivels on the ends with a mounting plate. One could probably figure out how to modify the mounting plate, bolt an Ergoplay support onto the end, and essentially be done.

For an example, google "Fleximount" and look at their monitor mounts. The D6 gas piston model mounts to a desk and then supports a monitor up to 19.8 pounds. Maybe this could be mounted on a fabricated pedestal?
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:13 am

BellyDoc wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:50 am
larryguitar wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:56 pm

...I can’t help but be struck by how much it looks like my nifty Levo G2 Essential tablet and book holder that lets me read while lying down in bed.

... I wonder if we could buy those scissor arms off the shelf somewhere. It must be possible.

Great thinking! These are useful insights! In fact one of the fun parts of tinkering, for me, is finding novel ways to repurpose existing tech.

The first thing I thought when I saw your tablet stand was, "could he bolt a guitar support on that and be DONE?" If it could be height adjusted to your liking and hold the weight ... maybe! It probably wouldn't have the mobility that you'd want though.

Googling around, I see that there are heavy duty swing arms available as monitor mounts. They have multi-axis swivels on the ends with a mounting plate. One could probably figure out how to modify the mounting plate, bolt an Ergoplay support onto the end, and essentially be done.

For an example, google "Fleximount" and look at their monitor mounts. The D6 gas piston model mounts to a desk and then supports a monitor up to 19.8 pounds. Maybe this could be mounted on a fabricated pedestal?
The Levo stand is cheaply made, I'm amazed it stands up at all, haha. I would get rid of it if it didn't work well enough holding up a tablet or a book. It would fall over with a twelve pound guitar.

Great find with those monitor arms! Look up "Loctek D7A", that seems to be the premium model for $10 more.

I don't think I want to trust suction cups, like on the Ergoplay, to hold the guitar. A failure would probably be catastrophic. Maybe I could convince the Viking guy to fabricate a cradle that could be mounted to the arm. Then, we would just have to figure out a pedestal.

Or, maybe we can use a heavy music stand tripod, like the Viking guy uses, or, hmmm, maybe I ship the Viking guy the arm, and tell him to mount a cradle to it and mount it to one of his tripods. ;-)

The Viking guy hasn't written back yet so I don't know if this holds any potential. I don't know if he would be up for the challenge. Perhaps.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:45 am

What happened to the good doctor? I hope he's on vacation. I'm sure it is well deserved.

My notes to the guy at Viking stands have gone unanswered so I may have to find someone else to undertake the project. I used to rent shop space in a woodworking shop, but those days are long gone so I have no place to do the work now.

Playing for just twenty minutes on the contra guitar convinces me that I need a stand, LOL.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:39 am

This sounds overly-simplisitc and probably wouldn't work, but ...

What if you used a Dynarette cushion on the right leg?

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:47 am

soltirefa wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:39 am
This sounds overly-simplisitc and probably wouldn't work, but ...

What if you used a Dynarette cushion on the right leg?
I tried two different sized Dynarette cushions on my left leg and I didn't like the height, the balance, or the feel of the weight through them.

The trouble with using the right leg is that the guitar is more unstable on that leg than it is on the left. I don't trust myself to keep such a heavy guitar balanced there.

A teacher remarked to me that Theorbos are really light, is that true? He said they were made out of Balsa wood, LOL. My guitar feels like a concrete block, it is so heavy. I have never seen such a well constructed and inert guitar body, well, inert except for the top!

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:35 pm

Any thoughts on how I could push ahead with getting someone to construct my guitar support?

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:31 pm

larryguitar wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:35 pm
Any thoughts on how I could push ahead with getting someone to construct my guitar support?
I was wondering how you were getting along with this project. I figured you had found a solution by now. Maybe a simple way to go would be just to have an cello-like endpin installed and learn to play the guitar upright.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:52 pm

soltirefa wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:31 pm
larryguitar wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:35 pm
I was wondering how you were getting along with this project. I figured you had found a solution by now. Maybe a simple way to go would be just to have an cello-like endpin installed and learn to play the guitar upright.
I’m afraid that playing it upright will be far too difficult for me. I haven’t heard anything from the guy who builds guitar stands and I sent him two emails. I think I have a good design with the computer monitor arm and tripod base. I just need a cradle for the guitar and some way to join the three pieces.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:40 pm

Well, yesterday, I survived a two hour quartet rehearsal with the monster, so perhaps I can get along without a stand. Of course, two hour rehearsals don't mean I have to play for two straight hours, there are always breaks to work with individual players, talk about next steps, etc.

It helps, in terms of comfort, to be able to shift the weight of the guitar around when I'm not playing it. I dragged along my AdjustRite chair so that made it seem like I was playing at home. Luckily, my teacher lives only three blocks from my apartment! I just loaded the contra guitar onto a folding cart and carried the chair.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:03 pm

In the absence of a Tripodium, I'm trying to figure out if it would be more comfortable to play with the contra bass on my right leg instead of my left leg. I'm testing out a small Dynarette cushion and the NeckUp guitar support. I think both are a step in the right direction but still leave something to be desired. I think both of those things raise the guitar a bit too high and have a tendency to push the neck out front instead of tilting it back.

I also tried with just a drawer liner on my right leg but that pushes the guitar too far to the right and the neck points down. It's much too heavy for the lower bout to balance on my right leg with just a drawer liner. Maybe I'll try some straps and suction cups and hold it like a big lute.

Any other ideas what I might use to support the guitar?

Here are some pictures:
IMG_8039.jpg
IMG_8335.jpg

Matthew Masail

Re: Guitar support for large guitar - Tripoydium or other device

Post by Matthew Masail » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:27 am

Interesting problem. If the way your holding it on your right leg is comfortable to play with it shouldnt be hard to make a stand to hold it in that position and take the weight off. I would make a wooden tripod (nicely turned like the Agudo picture) with a heavy base possibly weighted at the center near the legs, then a bent laminate to match the guitar (think 6* guitar sides laminated together) with firm foam and upholstered is a black soft breathable fabric. This will attach to the tripod with s strong steel swivel. So now you have height and angle adjustment, the lower bout cannot slip back and the upper bout exactly over your leg floating on the support.

* correctly designed the base might not need to be heavy, as long as one of the tripod legs can fit under your chair inline with the guitar.

Return to “Luthiers”