Jean-Luc Joie wins award for innovation achievements

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
ben etow

Jean-Luc Joie wins award for innovation achievements

Post by ben etow » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:25 pm

Jean-Luc Joie was awarded the prize for innovation in all craftmanship fields, which reaches far more than guitar makers or even instruments craftmen.

It is called Trophée de l'excellence artisanale 2018 and was awarded by the Chambre des Métiers et de l'Artisanat de Gironde.

Remise du Trophée de l'excellence artisanale 2018-innovation de la Chambre des Métiers et de l'Artisanat de Gironde.jpg

Trophée de l'excellence artisanale 2018-innovation de la Chambre des Métiers et de l'Artisanat de Gironde.jpg

Congratulations to this outstanding luthier. :bravo:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David Norton

Re: Jean-Luc Joie wins award for innovation achievements

Post by David Norton » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:40 pm

What was his award-winning innovation?
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
First person to complete the Delcamp "Let's Learn Sor's Opus 60" project

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:48 pm

Hi David,

I don't have détails but his innovations range from braceless tops to a heelless model or his autonomous Wi-Fi amp system... as used by Thibult Cauvin (you might have seen the pic of him rehearsing with Roberto Alagna recently here on delcamp).
You can also check Edenwood duo or Locango trio to feel how natural sounding this amp system is (and provides the guitarists with the opportunity to really play with dynamics and not struggling with other instruments like a cello).

ivan

Post by ivan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:59 am

I have to admit, Jean Luc Joie makes excellent guitars. Last year (2017), i received his basic model (Model J) for my client. Although it is only his basic model (one step higher than Model L - his lowest model), it has very good sound performance. Plenty of power and long sustain are the notable attributes of this guitar. And the most impressive thing about this guitar is the extreme balance.
I have bring some guitars by world's most respected luthier with extremely expensive price and long waitlist such as Dominique Field, Andrea Tacchi, Jean Noel Rohe, Paulino Bernabe Especial / Imperial, etc etc. Every guitars are usually always have some stronger notes, weaker notes, shorter notes or even some dead spot.
But the Jean Luc Joie guitar is dead even in every fret / every notes. No wolf notes / weak notes. No short sustain notes. Very easy to control the dynamic in this guitar since everything is predictable.

IMHO, he is way underrated, probably because he refuse to work with dealers (especially dealers that do overhype marketing style or doing fake recordings / videos by putting too much effect on the sound). He told me numerous times that he doesn't like to trick his customers.

Next year i will receive his highest model. If the basic model is already very good, I hope the highest model will be quite special..
Last edited by ivan on Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ivan

Post by ivan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:02 am

This is the guitar that i'm talking about. The 2017 Model J that he sent to me last year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:11 am

ivan wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:59 am
I have to admit, Jean Luc Joie makes excellent guitars. Last year (2017), i received his basic model (Model J) for my client. Although it is only his basic model (one step higher than Model L - his lowest model), it has very good sound performance. Plenty of power and long sustain are the notable attributes of this guitar. And the most impressive thing about this guitar is the extreme balance.
I have bring some guitars by world's most respected luthier with extremely expensive price and long waitlist such as Dominique Field, Andrea Tacchi, Jean Noel Rohe, Paulino Bernabe Especial / Imperial, etc etc. Every guitars are usually always have some stronger notes, weaker notes, shorter notes or even some dead spot.
But the Jean Luc Joie guitar is dead even in every fret / every notes. No wolf notes / weak notes. No short sustain notes. Very easy to control the dynamic in this guitar since everything is predictable.

IMHO, he is way underrated, probably because he refuse to work with dealers (especially dealers that do overhype marketing style or doing fake recordings / videos by putting too much effect on the sound). He told me numerous times that he doesn't like to trick his customers.

Next year i will receive his highest model. If the basic model is already very good, I hope the highest model will be quite special..
Ivan, Tacchi's guitars don't have weak notes, at least I have never played one. What I am asking myself is the question, why did (and still do) so many luthiers since Torres bother about bracing systems if Jean Luc Joie finally wins a price for building excellent guitars without ANY bracing at all?
Fritz Ober, Torres/Hauser model, 2010, spruce/maple
Giovanni Tacchi, Bouchet model, spruce/BRAZ, 2018

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:35 am

Nothing new about braceless guitars. That's one thing we can safely say that he wasn't the first, not by a long shot.
Historicalguitars.

ivan

Post by ivan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:12 pm

zupfgeiger wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:11 am
ivan wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:59 am

Ivan, Tacchi's guitars don't have weak notes, at least I have never played one. What I am asking myself is the question, why did (and still do) so many luthiers since Torres bother about bracing systems if Jean Luc Joie finally wins a price for building excellent guitars without ANY bracing at all?
Zupfgeiger,
My Tacchi does have some short notes. The high E (12th fret) is shorter, but the symphatic resonance from the A and low E strings still help the short notes to ring. Another wolf note (explosive but with short sustain) is on the G# (1st string fret 16), it has very sharp and fast response but almost no ring & sustain. But no big problem for me, my skill is not good enough to play and use the 16th fret. Hahaha :-D
On another guitars, Dominique Field for example also has shorter notes on D# (2nd string). 2 Pepe romero Jr guitars i've tried also has shorter notes on all G# (all register).

The joie is extremely even. It is like Jim Redgate Wave Double Top model which is also has extreme evenness.
But of course each guitar has its own strength and weakness. What i don't really like in Joie, the timbre is too neutral and plain.

ivan

Post by ivan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:26 pm

Last year, I put the light inside the guitar to see if it is really build without any brace - just to satisfy my curiousity. (Well, at least it has one brace - the bridge 😆😆😆)

However, from the picture there is definitely something under the bridge. Any comments and opinions from luthier friends?

souldier

Post by souldier » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:34 pm

Personally never heard of a braceless guitar. Is it basically just that circular patch that provides structural integrity? I really question how this affects the sound. I personally don't want a guitar to be absolutely even/balanced. I've played some guitars like this, usually double tops, and I personally find the guitar sterile sounding, lacking the charm and allure that the classical guitar is known for.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:52 pm

At least it's less work for the luthier. :D
Fritz Ober, Torres/Hauser model, 2010, spruce/maple
Giovanni Tacchi, Bouchet model, spruce/BRAZ, 2018

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:50 am

I'm quite sure if people keep building flawless perfectly even guitars with bland tonal pallette and little nuance between positions that an app will be developed for the smart phone. Then the guitar can be played through a mic system and through the tone enhancer app that will help give back funky notes and individual tone color to super even guitars.
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:09 am

Stephen Faulk wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:50 am
I'm quite sure if people keep building flawless perfectly even guitars with bland tonal pallette and little nuance between positions that an app will be developed for the smart phone. Then the guitar can be played through a mic system and through the tone enhancer app that will help give back funky notes and individual tone color to super even guitars.
I am sorry Mr Faulk, but is it not the player who has to choose when and where to make whatever dynamics or colours needed for his (her) musical interpretation? Since when must the guitar decide which colour or (illusion of) dynamic level of one particular note? It may be a vision of the guitar as an art object itself (hence a collectable) but some players do think otherwise.

In that sense (the guitar as a tool to make music), I assure you Joie's guitars are excellent. As to dynamics and tonal palette (and sustain as a bonus), please check Thibault Cauvin's or Edenwood duo's recent recordings. I dare say even my rendition of Ponce's prelude in F for Lyon's Galerie des Luthiers (in this case, please note there is very little reverb compared to most YT videos - which make most people say the guitar sounds so great… as a cathedral or whatever: only myths and dreams made possible by a reverb).

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:12 am

It's a joke, an app to make bland guitars have funk.
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:21 am

Didn't get it.

Return to “Luthiers”