Jean-Luc Joie wins award for innovation achievements

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Jose Marques
Luthier

Re: Jean-Luc Joie wins award for innovation achievements

Post by Jose Marques » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:30 pm

Is the thickness of the soundboard and some luthiers use to put a tansversal brace in bridge area but i saw already withouth any and 90% of this guitars are bigger than Torres, size near the smallman, and they use steel strings instead of nylon :)
I'm a Luthier living in Bury st Edmunds UK

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:32 am

Jose Marques wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:28 am
Michael.N. wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:35 am
Nothing new about braceless guitars. That's one thing we can safely say that he wasn't the first, not by a long shot.
Thats true , the "classical" guitars used to play Portuguese fado, not Potuguese guitar, has no braces at all and is being build for more then 100 years 🙀
I used to have a viola da tierra from the Azores islands. It had no belly braces and it had triple course steel strings.

I'd like to see a better photo of the inside of the the Joie guitar to look at the losenge shaped mass under the bridge.
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:17 pm

François C wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:44 am
Wel Ben, I must say that I was astonished as well by this severe price increase.
I hope it was no misunderstanding, cause the higher than expected price was the reason that my friend went for another guitar.
However, amplification was never part of our request, so I really doubt that there was a mistake in the offer.
I got to Jean-Luc to clear that out and he told me he no longer made the J as I could have it at the time of purchase (basic Rubner tuners, basic case - now only available with superior tuners and case). Besides, I provided with the tuners and the case when I purchased mine.

He also told me he believes much more in his new N (heelless) design for its even better efficiency (which I strongly believe as I tried the very first one of my friend and colleague within Locango trio).

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:24 pm

powermrk wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:43 pm
I just listened to Thibault Cauvin's latest recording "Cities II" on Sportify.

My first impression of JLJ's guitar sound was round, thick, dark, balanced and somehow with a little bit "artificial feeling".

I know it is not easy to use words to describe the sound, especailly from a recording. But this was what my little thought.
A recording can't be the real sound you will hear at home or at your music school or wherever.
Your guitar sounds different in each venue/room...
It sounds different when you play it and when you hear it from a distance...
And recordings can make any guitar sound the way the sound engineer wants it to sound.

My Joie guitars don't sound artificial when I play them. :D

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:29 pm

powermrk wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:31 pm
Jose Marques wrote:
Michael.N. wrote:
Nothing new about braceless guitars. That's one thing we can safely say that he wasn't the first, not by a long shot.
Thats true , the "classical" guitars used to play Portuguese fado, not Potuguese guitar, has no braces at all and is being build for more then 100 years 🙀
If the guitar top without braces, then WHAT to support and reinforce the soundboard??
Some material which is part of the soundborad. That is the new newness :D
I don't know what it is but I know it works and it is what matters to me.

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:31 pm

Jose Marques wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:30 pm
Is the thickness of the soundboard and some luthiers use to put a tansversal brace in bridge area but i saw already withouth any and 90% of this guitars are bigger than Torres, size near the smallman, and they use steel strings instead of nylon :)
The Joie guitars are different from what you know.

Jose Marques
Luthier

Post by Jose Marques » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:53 pm

ben etow wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:31 pm
Jose Marques wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:30 pm
The Joie guitars are different from what you know.
I believe you, I never saw one I just told you guys what I know and instruments , guitars, without braces is not new

Jose Marques
Luthier

Post by Jose Marques » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:01 pm

Stephen Faulk wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:32 am
Jose Marques wrote:
Michael.N. wrote:
I used to have a viola da tierra from the Azores islands. It had no belly braces and it had triple course steel strings.

I'd like to see a better photo of the inside of the the Joie guitar to look at the losenge shaped mass under the bridge.
about the viola da terra you are perfectly wright they have no belly braces and to be hones 90% of the Portuguese string instruments in his pure form doesn't have , like campaniles, cavaquinhos, as known as ukuleles from Hawaii which is wrong the ukulele is a copie of cavaquinhos, guitarra portuguesa the ones to play fado dont have as well, etc.

ivan

Post by ivan » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:08 am

About his signature braceless soundboard, here is some words from Jean-Luc himself :

Hello ivan,
It 's difficult for me to give explanations about the "no bracing system" without revealing its secrets. It is completely different than double top guitars as i found it is brittle to use such ultra thin soundboard and it could compromise the lifespan of the instrument. The only thing I can say it's that my system is a mostly made of wood, plus some natural material and composite matèrial, which makes an integrated and complex system which permit to not use any brace. The first guitars that we have made with that system were made in 1988 , and since this time, day after day, year after year, i keep refining my technique in order to obtain the better sound that i'm looking for : ... warm , smooth , round, rich in harmonic / overtones, beautiful, but with lots of power and dynamic possibilities. At the same time i strive to have great equality and an absolute perfect linear sound (like the one on a piano system). My goal is to make your job as a guitarist much easier when playing my guitar.

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:41 am

IMG_20181225_172403_143.jpg

I processed the photo- doesn't look very large.

Must be a type of stiffener in the area. It makes sense, the top would fold towards the sound hole without something to stiffen the area around the bridge, unless you make the top really thick.

If you can hold the arch longitudinally along the center line of the top it stands to reason that the elliptical stiffener element could keep the bridge from rocking forward. At the same time allowing the bridge fairly free cross dipole movement and in other directions too.

I could imagine what he's developed is a centrally located patch of lattice with very thin plate of wood over it and glued together into the arch of the top. Or something like that. A very interesting idea. Kind of gutsy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:26 pm

Edenwood playing Nathan Kolosko's Luminance: viewtopic.php?f=124&p=1327902#p1327902

Me, Myself and I :D playing Ponce's Prelude 8/1 in F# minor:
viewtopic.php?f=137&t=124754

François C

Post by François C » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:01 pm

powermrk wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:56 am

Hi Pierre,
Can you make a comparison of three mdoels you have please?
I would also be very interested how a model M and N compare to a Model J.
Can anyone comment on this?
Jean-Luc Joie Model J, 2017, cedar/ IR
Dominique Field, 2016, cedar/CSAR
Gerhard Odiges, 2011, spruce/BR
Karel Dedain Hauser2, 2013, spruce/IR

Pierre Colombo

Post by Pierre Colombo » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:20 pm

In fact it's very simple !
The model "M" is a kind of upgraded "J": the materials of the table are a bit differents so the sound is a bit different too.
The new and lastest model « N » has a completely innovative construction. A new squeleton, no heel behind the neck...
The N is a lot more powerfull than M, a bit more balance too and a bit higher while the M is more like a « concert » version of the J.
The « N » is also expected to exploit all the possibilities of amplification and trust me it’s a new world to explore... I make discoveries every day ;)
Jean-Luc Joie N-Model 2019
Jean-Luc Joie M-Model 2017
Jean-Luc Joie J-Model 2016

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:08 pm

No heel neck makes sense...I never understood why a heel would be such an integrated thing in every guitar all it does is get in the way of the high notes...

No heel...no braces...alright...now how about an open baffle?

Return to “Luthiers”