Travel classical/ nylon string guitar

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Marquezdl

Re: Travel classical/ nylon string guitar

Post by Marquezdl » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:51 pm

We all have our priorities, and they differ, as evidenced by this thread. I had a martin backpacker nylon string for awhile years ago. It probably did more to discourage me than any other instrument I have ever owned (my personal opinion). And I spent years dragging various kinds of electric basses and preamps and headphones with me when I traveled.
I eventually lost all interest in that.
What I am looking for is an acoustic instrument that I can practice classical pieces on. My go to classical is a reproduction of an 1816 martinez. It has a 613mm scale length and if the nut was about 4 mm wider and it was a bit more robust it would be my solution.
I suspect that in the end I will have either a carbon fiber nylon string guitar, or a carbon fiber Uke. I really do like the durability and travelworthiness of carbon fiber instruments of all types.

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:57 am

Overhead by Journey
It’s fine and folds easily
I have one for sale
Ron

Marquezdl

Post by Marquezdl » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:14 am

Is yours carbon fiber or wood?
Steel or nylon strings?
fingerboard width at the nut?

printer2

Re: Travel classical/ nylon string gutar

Post by printer2 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:04 am

printer2 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:09 am
What is the lower bout width of the 1816 Martinez? I mostly gave away a similar sized guitar this Christmas and kind of miss it.
Or even the body length.
Fred

Marquezdl

Re: Travel classical/ nylon string gutar

Post by Marquezdl » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:40 am

printer2 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:04 am
printer2 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:09 am
What is the lower bout width of the 1816 Martinez? I mostly gave away a similar sized guitar this Christmas and kind of miss it.
Or even the body length.
Sorry I can’t answer that. The guitar is in Olympia Wa. I am in Manizales Colombia

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:42 pm

Marquezdl wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:51 pm
We all have our priorities, and they differ, as evidenced by this thread. I had a martin backpacker nylon string for awhile years ago. It probably did more to discourage me than any other instrument I have ever owned (my personal opinion). And I spent years dragging various kinds of electric basses and preamps and headphones with me when I traveled.
What I am looking for is an acoustic instrument that I can practice classical pieces on. My go to classical is a reproduction of an 1816 martinez. It has a 613mm scale length and if the nut was about 4 mm wider and it was a bit more robust it would be my solution.
I suspect that in the end I will have either a carbon fiber nylon string guitar, or a carbon fiber Uke. I really do like the durability and travelworthiness of carbon fiber instruments of all types.
If price isn’t an issue look up Edward’s Fine Instruments. He has an Edwards Lacote for sale at $5k. I’m not sure how travel worthy it is, but the size seems like what you’re after. A friend of mine who performs professionally sold her standard 650 scaled guitar and switched to one of his. She says it’s much easier to carry around and much, much better for her small hands.
I’m a hobbyist, not a professional player, but I do know Dave (Edwards).
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Marquezdl

Post by Marquezdl » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:06 pm

Jack Douglas wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:42 pm
Marquezdl wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:51 pm
If price isn’t an issue look up Edward’s Fine Instruments. He has an Edwards Lacote for sale at $5k. I’m not sure how travel worthy it is, but the size seems like what you’re after. A friend of mine who performs professionally sold her standard 650 scaled guitar and switched to one of his. She says it’s much easier to carry around and much, much better for her small hands.
I’m a hobbyist, not a professional player, but I do know Dave (Edwards).
Thanks for the suggestion, I am sure I would love the instrument. Probably the most enjoyable CG I have ever played was a 630 scale Hill Panormo. Simply superb! But travel worthy? Methinks not😗

gingko

Post by gingko » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:34 pm

Have you looked at the Córdoba Mini? There are 2 models. The smallest is 510mm scale length with a 50mm nut. It can be tuned in E or higher, like a guilele, in A. You can get all the specs on the Córdoba website. There is also a "Mini II" which has a 580mm scale length.

They seem pretty popular, sound surprisingly good for their size and price. Good set-up is probably crucial.
2018 Joseph Redman 605mm cedar/Padauk
Córdoba Requinto 580mm

a human

Post by a human » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:00 pm

gingko wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:34 pm
Have you looked at the Córdoba Mini? There are 2 models. The smallest is 510mm scale length with a 50mm nut. It can be tuned in E or higher, like a guilele, in A. You can get all the specs on the Córdoba website. There is also a "Mini II" which has a 580mm scale length.

They seem pretty popular, sound surprisingly good for their size and price. Good set-up is probably crucial.
I just received a Cordoba mini ii (mahogany) as a late Christmas present. My wish was something for car vacations, not plane flights. I had a little trouble finding a case or bag to fit it until I realized there is an accessory shop on the Cordoba web site. After I have had some time to play with it, I'll post some comments.
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
The rest come and go.

gingko

Post by gingko » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:38 pm

a human wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:00 pm
gingko wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:34 pm

I just received a Cordoba mini ii (mahogany) as a late Christmas present. My wish was something for car vacations, not plane flights. I had a little trouble finding a case or bag to fit it until I realized there is an accessory shop on the Cordoba web site. After I have had some time to play with it, I'll post some comments.
Curious to know how it works out for you. My daughter has the smaller Mini. For what it is, I'm always surprised how good it sounds. "All Strings Nylon" did the set up.
2018 Joseph Redman 605mm cedar/Padauk
Córdoba Requinto 580mm

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:36 am

Me too...I am seriously thinking of getting a travel guitar from Aria - they have 2 ''mini'' models.

Return to “Luthiers”