ernandez Mk-II The neck et al

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
ernandez R

Re: ernandez Mk-II The neck et al

Post by ernandez R » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:53 am

MessyTendon wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:43 pm
looks great.
Thanx, more like a eight footer but five times nicer around the edges then the first one

A couple glamor shots of the Mk-I and Mk-II

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:24 pm

image.jpeg
Made up a big batch of bridge blanks: 38 usable ones.

Ruined the best one out of the bunch right away after picking out theft be prettiest ones to use. Had sliced up a bunch of Corian for saddles so I roughed one out to check the slot.

HR
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:25 pm

image.jpeg
Gathered up some locally harvested spruce, called Black Spruce locally but not certain of its actual species specifics.

This wood was harvested on a homestead anywhere from 20 to 40 years ago. The gentleman passed away last summer so I'm not sure. The wood in the photo had a deep sun aged patina from laying in an outdoor covered lumber rack.

I chose the least favorable pieces to work with saving the better possibilities until I've become more experienced.

I split on my table saw and finish the cut with a band saw. Not the most elegant solution that's for sure. I chew off the thick middle with a 90 deg die grinder using a 50 grit disc then clean up with 80 grit an a DA sander. It's a lot of dusty work but the boss says I can't buy a planner or sander this year.

HR

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:38 pm

image.jpeg
Well it will never be master grade tone wood but good enough for the guitars I go out and ply with ;)

This piece only had about 7" of quarter grain and ran into the center of the log for about an inch. Also there was some wind checking but I decided to them up and keep moving forward. A couple pin hole knots to for character. When I find that perfect top wood piece I'll save it for my perfect guitar.

Interesting to asses the grown pattern and the periods of five years or so of favorable growing seasons, hence the thick grain and the interviewing years if vary nerrow grain I assume caused by less then optimal weather.

I counted over eighty rings from the center out...

The log pieces I had hoped to be working with were buireid under a lot of snow and as it was about -10f we decided I could wait until spring to play with them. How many guitars can a guy build in a winter anyway?

HR

HR

simonm

Post by simonm » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:40 pm

ernandez R wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:25 pm
... It's a lot of dusty work but the boss says I can't buy a planner or sander this year.
Wood planes produces less dust. New lungs are more expensive than a drum sander and proper extraction.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:06 am

simonm wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:40 pm
ernandez R wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:25 pm
... It's a lot of dusty work but the boss says I can't buy a planner or sander this year.
Wood planes produces less dust. New lungs are more expensive than a drum sander and proper extraction.

Simon,
I've worked on wood planes before, the one with wings, was only a little confused at first. Roger that about the dust protection. Smoked my lungs with Stodderd solvent years ago via chemical pneumonia and it took years to rebuild my lung strength.

I have
Much experience with many tools but the hand plane is one I have rarely used. Laid up a test Rossett th is am and used a small plane to knock it down as my saw/sanding room was hovering around 0f this am while the shop wood stove was slowly bring it all to temp.

HR

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:23 am

So, made my way out to the shop, it was -21f so the short walk was fast as I had my topwood in my hand and a quick CAD drawing of my rossett in my other.

First I made a slot slicer. I used a pin router on the mk-1 but didn't care for it. I took a block of ash screwed a bux knife blade to the side, drilled a 1/4" hole the apropreat distance for a pivot point, then a modded the end of the blade consistent wi the 50 deg cutting angle and get rid of the weak pointy end.

The first on I made was the cutout dimension, then I made up a block with the inner and outer dimension on each end of the block. Guess I was having too much fun to stop for a foto.

Decided to use some dots as a rosseett feature they are pieces of Corian countertop same as I've used for my saddle and nut. I cut out circles with a plug cutter and bored the holes in the top with a Forster bit.

Partner says we need a new countertop in a better color as the yellow marble doesn't show on the the spruce. Not enough contrast. On the Mk-1 I made a 1/4 wide ring on Corian as the only rosette feature. I routed out the inner and outer line then sliced off a .040 thick ring by glueing the material to a black off plywood next running it through the table saw. I made the little dots from the leftover circle. Plan is to fret mark with the yellow thinking it will contrast well with the fretboard oak.

Plan is to dress up the sound bars some,glue them to the top, then glue the top on tonight.

HR

image.jpeg

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:28 am

Thought I should add a photo of my Mk-I rosseett with its Corian ring
image.jpeg

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:46 am

Top is glued on! Was thinking about something different then wrapping the whole thing with string and was wondering about using wedges some how with an arm attached to the form. Then the light went on and I made the arm wedges, well sorta. Took about ten minuets to cut up and slit a strip of scrap plywood. A few to figure out where they'd needed to go. A dry run to check fit and out came the TB-III

The wood stove was peeking about the time I wanted to brush on glue so I had to open the -21f outside door so I had some working time.

Second photo is the blocks I mentioned I used to cut the sound hole and rosette grooves. I ground up a narrow chisel using the end of a small triangle file and polished it up to a razors edge.

I'll get the neck fitted tomorrow and tho bottom on if nothing freezes up and keeps me out of the shop.

HR
image.jpeg
Ha, second photo too big...

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:03 pm

Playing around with light and took a few glamor shots of my Mk-2

Heading out to the shop to trim up the top, brace and sound bar the bottom, pre fit the neck, then glue up the bottom. Think I'm going to mod the top sound bars and braces to a different profile and do some taping along the way.

Black and white for file size, and cause it looks cool.

HR
image.jpeg

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:59 am

Can anyone spot the bottom sound bar I glued on backwards. Some days are like that...

Decided to form floating braces for the bottom as an experiment. They only touch the bottom for about an inch centered on the seem. Then about half an inch on each end. Funny thing as I was getting ready to put the curv in the glue side of the brace and I thought to my self that we, or rather I, are install of these upside down. You will have to look at the photo of the two braces to,get an idea of what I am making.

Body is mostly done except for some final sanding, I'll fit the neck and bridge tomorrow and if I get lucky strings the day after.

I still need to make a plane for the finish. Mostly sure I will oil and wax the neck. I might oil the sides and back, pore fill the top with a home a made sanding filler and then shoot the whole body in aircraft Dope, it's a kind of cellulose nitrate but not like some use oguitar bodies. It's something I am familure with so I know it will be easy enough...

While I was out collecting spruce from a friend of mine he showed my some birch that was 3\8 thick, 10 to 14 inches wide and ant ten feet long, about eight pieces. Thinking I might try to do a back and sides with them for my next model.

HR

image.jpeg
v

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:55 pm

image.jpeg
Sipping my first cup of coffee this morning thinking twenty four hours is a long time to wait for epoxy on my neck and bridge to cure up completely. I've got the nut and saddle trimmed up a little high I suppose and a fresh set of medium strings laying on the time begging me to to tie them on.

I finished gluing up the neck last night, nothing fancy just a butt joint with three dowels, still it took me over two hours to get the fit just right. I pre fit the neck with only the top on so I can back drill the dowel holes, then I glue the back on. At some time fiddling with the neck and pulling the hundredth or two of 320 grit strips between the block and body I began to so the simplicity of the Spanish slipper method.

Coffe is gone, time to make some new music.

HR

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:12 pm

Bridge clamps. I slip them in fold the top arm over until it touches the to of the bridge then screw the arm in place with the second screw you see in the foto. I place a small wedge in from the side to tighten. I use a set of pins, drill bits, pushed down flush with the saddle groove to keep her from slipping around. Rub the pins with candle wax to keep them from sticking.

No fotos cause when this is happening it's no time to be distracted ;)

Clamps started out looking elegant but by nessecity the were butchered in the band saw: function over form.

HR
image.jpeg

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:26 pm

Ha ha haa...

Strung her up and playing but going back,and forth between the Mk-I and II knowing that the second will open up in just a few days. It's not unlike vary slowly opening a Christmas present.

The mechanical tuners sure are easy but the whole guitar seems unbalance compared to my peg head model; perhaps a little soulless. I'm thinking I will make the next one a peg head but get the oprpreat 30 to 1 tapered ream and use it accordingly. The lightness and ease of construction of a peg head just might trump( my did I just use that word :/) the ease of tuning mechanically.

My fingers are only a little sore.

HR

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:13 am

Cut out a pair of sides. The other set I made up last week. Bent them all up today

I hot glue the rough board to a piece of tru lumber then run them through the band saw accordingly. Same with the top wood and backs. I can get a lot more out of the wood with the band saw and it's a lot easier to clean up afterwords.

Others fotos were a no go.

Fit an
image.jpeg
d glued up three matching pairs of backs and three tops today. Hoped to have a set I the mold today but was waylaid by a social event with the Lady.

It's a sickness really. Is there a cure? I had to laugh the other day when on someone posted on another thread about being " in the wood hoarding stage" of guitar making. Truth be told, it seems I'm I the guitar making stage of classical guitar making.

H R

Return to “Luthiers”