Last Guitar for 2018 Lattice Model

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
souldier

Re: Last Guitar for 2018 Lattice Model

Post by souldier » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:50 pm

Just saw the video on Gary Lee's website: https://www.garrettleeguitars.com/adjus ... ction-neck

It's pretty mind blowing. I mean I've spent hours adjusting the action on several guitars... whereas this system just makes it 100x more convenient and precise. Assuming it doesn't have any impact on tone, I wish every guitar had this.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:30 pm

souldier wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:50 pm
Just saw the video on Gary Lee's website: https://www.garrettleeguitars.com/adjus ... ction-neck

It's pretty mind blowing. I mean I've spent hours adjusting the action on several guitars... whereas this system just makes it 100x more convenient and precise. Assuming it doesn't have any impact on tone, I wish every guitar had this.
At the expense of extra weight! Pick your poison. The design by Trevor Gore affords a little less weight penalty.

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:00 pm

Garrett Told me he offers its but does not have it on every guitar as some players do not like the xtra weight as Doan says.
2006 Greg Byers(fan)2009 Eric Monrad(maple) 2018 Simon Ambridge Model 40 Satinwood. 2003 Tacchi Simplcio satinwood 2017 E. Bottelli 52 Hauser, 2002 Jeff Elliott spruce, 2017 Richard Reynoso, spruce/maple, 2015 Herman Hauser III(Cedar)2005 Tacchi Coclea

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:13 am

Is the fastener set in epoxy for the bolt? What threads are you using? As I understand it the neck is partially held by the bolt and string tension and a set screw raises and lowers the neck, is that correct?

Intune

Post by Intune » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:58 am

MessyTendon:
I don't think there are any bolts in the system Gary Lee uses: the neck is held in place solely by string tension and, yes, an allen set screw accessible in the upper fingerboard raises and lowers it. If the strings are removed, I believe the neck will separate from the body; still, with the strings in place the instrument is quite secure. If you haven't already, take a look at the explanatory drawings on Lee's website. As mentioned in an earlier post, there's also a short video there showing the impressive system in operation. I think an adjustable neck would be very useful for, say, a touring pro who often finds himself in different climates, leading to possible changes to his action that could easily be corrected with this system. In a matter of seconds the player can dial in the precise action he wants with the strings under full tension. No need to remove the strings or fumble to adjust bolts inside the guitar. Personally, I'd gladly pay a small penalty in weight to have this luxury; besides, the added weight -- probably only a few ounces at most -- is centrally located on the guitar where it's unlikely to effect the instrument's balance.
Intune
2010 Andres Marvi (cedar/Madagascar rosewood)

"...beware of all enterprises that require new clothes..." -- H.D. Thoreau

David Schramm
Luthier

Post by David Schramm » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:45 pm

I'm the first U.S. maker to use this design. I was using it before Gary Lee. I've been using it for about 15+ years. There is minimal extra weight which has no negative effect for the guitarist. No change in tone or volume. Has no effect on the sound of the guitar. I have compared both side by side in 2005 and there was no difference what so ever. I use this in all my lattice guitars and as an option for my traditional fan braced guitars and steel string guitars.

I now use a nylon retaining bolt instead of the stainless steel bolt. Works great.

Here is my video from 2010 on the design
David Schramm

David Schramm
Luthier

Post by David Schramm » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:18 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:13 am
Is the fastener set in epoxy for the bolt? What threads are you using? As I understand it the neck is partially held by the bolt and string tension and a set screw raises and lowers the neck, is that correct?

No. There are two Stainless steel 1/4 20 tee nuts, one 1/4 20 Nylon 7/16" x 1 1/2" retaining bolt, one 1/4" 20 x 1/2" allen set screw for 1/8" allen wrench. The retaining bolt is not tightened down to anchor the neck. It only screws into the bottom of the neck and moves along with it when adjusted. It goes through an over sized hole in the body of the upper bout so that if the string all came off the neck doesn't fall off. It doesn't need to be there. It is just there so the neck doesn't fall off the body and get damaged. Therefore the neck is not partially held on by the bolt but only by string tension and the pivot joint that the string tension pulls the neck into.
David Schramm

David Schramm
Luthier

Post by David Schramm » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:28 pm

Here are a variety of photos

David Schramm

Matthew Masail

Post by Matthew Masail » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:58 pm

David Schramm wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:45 pm
I'm the first U.S. maker to use this design. I was using it before Gary Lee. I've been using it for about 15+ years. There is minimal extra weight which has no negative effect for the guitarist. No change in tone or volume. Has no effect on the sound of the guitar. I have compared both side by side in 2005 and there was no difference what so ever. I use this in all my lattice guitars and as an option for my traditional fan braced guitars and steel string guitars.

I now use a nylon retaining bolt instead of the stainless steel bolt. Works great.

Here is my video from 2010 on the design
Hi David, thank you for sharing. I am wondering about the grain direction in the heel, do you orient it the same as a traditional guitar or cross wise.

Return to “Luthiers”