ernandez Mk-III

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
ernandez R

Re: ernandez Mk-III

Post by ernandez R » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:56 am

Well it's hard to complain. I was plying the first MK-III and realized I made a major sonic improvement over my first two builds.
How much better you ask? To tell you the truth I have no real baseline. But... It plays so much better I can clearly hear weakness in playing technic I hadn't noted before.

Kinda funny, people always ask how my airplane flys and I always remark, she flies fine, it's the pilot who is a little rusty.

I'll need to get together with some other guitars some day sooner then later so I have an idea what I have. Don't really have any complaints. To be honest this one is so much better but out of the three Mk-III this first one was supposed to be inferior because I used all the ugly least suitable parts.

I was in the shop today tooling to relight a balky water heater and looking at the other two bodies hanging from the copper hooks a bent up last month wondering what kind of sonic majic lies inside of them.

Think I'll wear out a set or two of the wound strings on this one first, pull them off, and prep her for finish whilst gluing the second one up.

Too many guitars not enough time ;)

HR
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:20 pm

image.jpeg
First coat of shellac. I cheated and used a rattle can of Bullseye clear.

Father forgive because I have sinned ;)

HR
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:13 pm

niiiiiicce.

That cottonwood is looking gorgeous. I like the grain on the side a lot!
Last edited by Christopher Langley on Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cordoba CP110
https://youtu.be/AJsinZ8LLhE

Matthew Masail

Post by Matthew Masail » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:48 pm

ernandez R wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:20 pm
image.jpeg

HR
Hallelujah!

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:08 am

image.jpeg
Christopher Langley wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:13 pm
niiiiiicce.

That cottonwood is looking gorgeous. I like the grain on the side a lot!
The dark grain popped in a way I hadn't figured it would.

I intentionally worked that wood figure into the sides, book matched on the other side and on one of the other MK-III bodies.

I sorayed everything but the pegs and fretboard.

HR
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:15 am

Matthew Masail wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:48 pm
ernandez R wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:20 pm
image.jpeg

HR
Hallelujah!
It's like that!
Actually I need to Travil for some medical, not mine, so I thought I should get a quick coat of somthing so it might make the trip unscathed.

I can tell I only missed a few spots while doing the final sanding. I have a couple two quart cans and a small iwatta finish gun which will spray three times better plus i can thin according.

Told the boss I needed 2000-3000 grit paper and olive oil, she asked if it needed to be cold press etc, I told her I like the smell of toasted sesame oil myself ;)

I've got a lot to learn...

HR
image.jpeg

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:49 am

image.jpeg
Working up a set of black walnut pegs. Hope it is strong enough for the job.

I start with a flat strip about 1" wide and 5/16" thick and cut up into blocks. I made simple paper template then with a light shot of quick drying rattle can for the layout. Drilled the inside radiouse with a 3/16 in the drill press. I cut out the rest with the band saw.

Then I wittle the end round enough to fit in my peg sharpener and twist it nice and easy with a glove, the last set gave me a couple blisteres by the time I had all six shaped up.

My peg shaper is just a block of birch I drilled, reamed, and cut out accordingly. The blade is piece of an used planer blade.

Later I'll chuck up in the drill press a 2" diameter sanding drum and shape the handles with a nice inside radiouse.

This set goes on the body with the round black oak inlays around the sound hole so I'm going to add a round, light colored inlay in the middle of each tuner... I think I am anyway.

Going to be away from the shop for about a week though...

HR

Matthew Masail

Post by Matthew Masail » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:36 am

Hallelujah!
[/quote]

It's like that!
Actually I need to Travil for some medical, not mine, so I thought I should get a quick coat of somthing so it might make the trip unscathed.

I can tell I only missed a few spots while doing the final sanding. I have a couple two quart cans and a small iwatta finish gun which will spray three times better plus i can thin according.

Told the boss I needed 2000-3000 grit paper and olive oil, she asked if it needed to be cold press etc, I told her I like the smell of toasted sesame oil myself ;)

HR

image.jpeg
[/quote]

That's funny, I use simple mineral oil sold for sawing machins, work great, no smell. I've used olive oil before but it can get a little sticky...

I think your next step would also be adding bindings, especially if you plan to sell them. I recently did mine and learned a lot, it's actually straight forward if you know how to sharpen a purflings cutter blade so it can penetrate deeply with little effort !

I don't think black walnut is a good choice for pegs... It is not a strong wood.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:46 pm

Matthew Masail wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:36 am
Hallelujah!
It's like that!

HR

image.jpeg
[/quote]

That's funny, I use simple mineral oil sold for sawing machins, work great, no smell. I've used olive oil before but it can get a little sticky...

I think your next step would also be adding bindings, especially if you plan to sell them. I recently did mine and learned a lot, it's actually straight forward if you know how to sharpen a purflings cutter blade so it can penetrate deeply with little effort !

I don't think black walnut is a good choice for pegs... It is not a strong wood.
[/quote]

Thanx, I'll make up a walnut one and ops check it before doing up the whole set.

Ya, bindings... Torn between router and knife tool. To be honest I need to mimic my rosette ring off hickory-birch-hickory.

I'm giving these to family and selling might be down the road although a local gallery is interested. I need to get my fret game up to my standards as I'm not really hitting the home run I should be: means I'm not as pationt as I need to be.

HR

Matthew Masail

Post by Matthew Masail » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:53 pm

ernandez R wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:46 pm
Matthew Masail wrote:
Hallelujah!
It's like that!

HR

image.jpeg

[/quote]

Thanx, I'll make up a walnut one and ops check it before doing up the whole set.

Ya, bindings... Torn between router and knife tool. To be honest I need to mimic my rosette ring off hickory-birch-hickory.

I'm giving these to family and selling might be down the road although a local gallery is interested. I need to get my fret game up to my standards as I'm not really hitting the home run I should be: means I'm not as pationt as I need to be.

HR
[/quote]

Patience is the hardest part I think, especially near the end! You have a good design brewing there, I think it'll look nice bottled that's all (-:

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:15 am

Matthew Masail wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:53 pm
ernandez R wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:46 pm
Matthew Masail wrote:
Hallelujah!
It's like that!

HR

image.jpeg

HR
[/quote]

Patience is the hardest part I think, especially near the end! You have a good design brewing there, I think it'll look nice bottled that's all (-:
[/quote]

Wait for it... Ya I should know...

I am in town for a week and my plan is to pick up a stick of lacewood to use as binding, funny cause I thought my B&S wood was going to be boring but after applying the finish it doesn't really need anything but a good contrast. I could just use the birch I have all over the place only finding a straight grained piece long enough might prove prablamatic. Guess I'll know what's I'm going to use after I have it all glued up. Nice thing is I can install the binding Even after applying my finish.

Matthew Masail

Post by Matthew Masail » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:15 am

ernandez R wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:15 am
[quote="Matthew Masail" post_id=1349197

I am in town for a week and my plan is to pick up a stick of lacewood to use as binding, funny cause I thought my B&S wood was going to be boring but after applying the finish it doesn't really need anything but a good contrast. I could just use the birch I have all over the place only finding a straight grained piece long enough might prove prablamatic. Guess I'll know what's I'm going to use after I have it all glued up. Nice thing is I can install the binding Even after applying my finish.
After applying a sealer coat yes, you can scrape the bindings flush so you'll be fine aplaying more finish . But if you apply a lot of finish and happen to scrape some off with bindings it'll be hard yo mask the color change.

Lacewood would really make a difference, and why not Walnut? It's nice wood to bend and looks almost like a light Indian rosewood .

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:39 am

Matthew Masail wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:15 am
ernandez R wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:15 am
[quote="Matthew Masail" post_id=1349197

After applying a sealer coat yes, you can scrape the bindings flush so you'll be fine aplaying more finish . But if you apply a lot of finish and happen to scrape some off with bindings it'll be hard yo mask the color change.

Lacewood would really make a difference, and why not Walnut? It's nice wood to bend and looks almost like a light Indian rosewood .
Matt,

So just for you I stripped off some black walnut and might use it for the bindings. At first I was concerned my side and back wood was going to need some visual help but after the first coat of shellac it's not the issue I that it would be

To be honest the walnut is just too much... I'm sure it would look great... It just looks, dark.

The same time I made up a couple sets of walnut for bindings I did the lacewood as well and I like it less then the black walnut. It's too orange.

I think I'm going to use the same Birch I used down the middle of my necks.

Guessing it will be one of those things where I cut out the binding kerf and lay a couple pieces in there and decide then and there.

HR

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:48 am

Wrapped up my black walnut (not oak) pegs for #4. Couple rattle can coats of shellac.

I'm really digging them! Was waiting for the paint dot dry on another non guitar project and had them roughed out with a little drum sander in my drill press, then hand sanded them a bit. I could have sanded then for another hour ;)

I still need to drill the string holes.

It had been mentioned that they, the walnut, might not be strong enough for the task. I'll let you all know.

Looking at them next to the previous set I had fabricated and these new ones look a little big. At least they will be easy to turn.

HR

image.jpeg
Last edited by ernandez R on Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:50 am

Like this.
image.jpeg

Return to “Luthiers”