ernandez R wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:39 am
Matthew Masail wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:15 am
ernandez R wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:15 am
[quote="Matthew Masail" post_id=1349197
Wait for it... Ya I should know...

I am in town for a week and my plan is to pick up a stick of lacewood to use as binding, funny cause I thought my B&S wood was going to be boring but after applying the finish it doesn't really need anything but a good contrast. I could just use the birch I have all over the place only finding a straight grained piece long enough might prove prablamatic. Guess I'll know what's I'm going to use after I have it all glued up. Nice thing is I can install the binding Even after applying my finish.
After applying a sealer coat yes, you can scrape the bindings flush so you'll be fine aplaying more finish . But if you apply a lot of finish and happen to scrape some off with bindings it'll be hard yo mask the color change.

Lacewood would really make a difference, and why not Walnut? It's nice wood to bend and looks almost like a light Indian rosewood .
Matt,

So just for you I stripped off some black walnut and might use it for the bindings. At first I was concerned my side and back wood was going to need some visual help but after the first coat of shellac it's not the issue I that it would be

To be honest the walnut is just too much... I'm sure it would look great... It just looks, dark.

The same time I made up a couple sets of walnut for bindings I did the lacewood as well and I like it less then the black walnut. It's too orange.

I think I'm going to use the same Birch I used down the middle of my necks.

Guessing it will be one of those things where I cut out the binding kerf and lay a couple pieces in there and decide then and there.

HR
That reminds me of my first rosette... I went through all the trouble to cut some pink eqcaliptus into venner and made a rainbow pattern and in the end I didn't like it very much... Still I'm not going to apologies because now you have some options (-: the other week I cut up a selection a bindings at least 6 kinds so far so I can see what goes well with what, it's really isn't bvious until we can see the wood together, and I agree that Birch look very nice.

I like the shape of the pegs, but the larger handles concern me even more in that you have great leverage and a small diameter pegs, it won't be too hard to twist shear the peg apart. Its not hard to remove so no problem with trying, but I think a dense fruit wood would be your best bet. I've seen many local fruit woods, mostly branches and they all seem similar to Apple with nice color, might be worth a look. Maple of course is a strong easy to get fruit wood but not too pretty for pegs unless it's figured.

ernandez R

Re: ernandez Mk-III

Post by ernandez R » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:44 pm

Matt,

Thanks for the input.

I know I will run into issues with my small diameter peg shaft. I just found this to be ideal in terms with the torque it takes to turn the peg while tuning and the friction load required to hold it. Also it makes fine tuning much easer although I find the 3rd string still a bit touchy at this diameter.

To be honest it is the angle forward that makes these pegs work well with less fiddling the string tension is pulling the pegs into the hole and self tightening.

I have some nerve damage in the second buckle of my index finger that causes me some trauma in certain situations, tuning knobs being one, not playing thank the maker :)

Bindings: I fear the router but I'm unsure of using the hand tool ( what is the hand tool called?) cutting the binding kerf by hand is somthing I have not been able to find a video of which would help a lot. Besides cutting an accurate kerf the fitting and glue them on etc seems a snap.

Rosetts: I've a couple ideas I'm sketching at the moment. Our state flower is the forget-me-not. I'm going to make black walnut circles with blue flowers inside and then inlay them like tiles as I did the circles on my one top. Rabbit hole warning!

I my have to get some small diameter carbon fiber rods... for my pegs.

HR
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

Matthew Masail

Post by Matthew Masail » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:01 pm

ernandez R wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:44 pm
Matt,

Thanks for the input.

I know I will run into issues with my small diameter peg shaft. I just found this to be ideal in terms with the torque it takes to turn the peg while tuning and the friction load required to hold it. Also it makes fine tuning much easer although I find the 3rd string still a bit touchy at this diameter.

To be honest it is the angle forward that makes these pegs work well with less fiddling the string tension is pulling the pegs into the hole and self tightening.

I have some nerve damage in the second buckle of my index finger that causes me some trauma in certain situations, tuning knobs being one, not playing thank the maker :)

Bindings: I fear the router but I'm unsure of using the hand tool ( what is the hand tool called?) cutting the binding kerf by hand is somthing I have not been able to find a video of which would help a lot. Besides cutting an accurate kerf the fitting and glue them on etc seems a snap.

Rosetts: I've a couple ideas I'm sketching at the moment. Our state flower is the forget-me-not. I'm going to make black walnut circles with blue flowers inside and then inlay them like tiles as I did the circles on my one top. Rabbit hole warning!

I my have to get some small diameter carbon fiber rods... for my pegs.

HR
Sure, I like following this thread :)

My second guitar might possibly maybe have pegs, mostly because It'll be a flamenco and I'll be making it while I french polish # 1. I've had a lot of interest for flamenco guitar so I figure making one is a good idea. very interesting what you say about the diameter and ease of turning, makes sense though that a small peg would have less friction.... But I'll probably ease my way out and just buy some pegs on the big auction site, they are so cheap I can't think of a excuse not to... the violin ones have a small shaft I think. I'm not sure if a CF rod would help with twisting shear... as it might be in the neutral axis area, but I might be wrong.

(If you'd to get regular tuners, search DerJong on the auction site, I've used a few on repairs, they are cheap but actually very good quality )

I can help with cutting them by hand, which is IMO and lot safer than any less than ideal router set up, and actually not that hard once you figure it out. the router set up requires quite a bit of details to be perfect for it to work right. let me know if you'd like more information and I'll try to take a couple pics and post.

Sound like a good rabbit hole me !!

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:34 am

Made up a pair of binding kerf cutters.

Made the cutting blades out of real HSS #10 drill bits.

Bent up a couple black walnut BINDIMGS just have them taped on to dry and let them get used to being there.

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:28 am

Awesome!
Cordoba CP110
https://youtu.be/AJsinZ8LLhE

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:06 am

Christopher Langley wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:28 am
Awesome!
Thanx Chris.

Went back into the shop tonight after dinner and glued on both top bindings. Can't say I'm one with the process. Before I turned off the lights a fingered in some wood putty here and there and there and there...

My kerf fell right on the bond line and caused me some issues here and there. Learned plenty. This one is #4 and I have # 5 hanging from the ceiling waiting for bindings as well.

Have a couple rotten sill logs to change out on a 75 year old cabin tomorrow so I don't think I'll get to the bottom bindings, never can tell though.

HR

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:23 am

Blue tape binding bondage...
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:25 am

Still not sure I like the walnut bindings...

Looks a lot like a " where's Woody" toy story toy guitar. Que humorously sardonic comment from SF in: ten, nine, eaght, seven six...

image.jpeg
Last edited by ernandez R on Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:27 am

Wow, what a difference a little binding makes.

I'm sort of fond of the plain jane square headstock. Reminds me of my old Silvertone. :bye:
Cordoba CP110

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:06 pm

Christopher Langley wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:27 am
Wow, what a difference a little binding makes.

I'm sort of fond of the plain jane square headstock. Reminds me of my old Silvertone. :bye:

Chris,

I've been pondering the " ernandez " headstock design for a while. Somthing like the old Torrez peg head is the closest I've come on the back of a napkin.

HR
image.jpeg

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:10 pm

Couple spray coats of shellac..

It's growing on me.

Think I'll just give her two more coats today, let it dry enough, then a little steel wool, and spray another coat vary thin: 1/2 lb cut as they say. After she is all assembled of course.

image.jpeg

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:59 am

looking good.

I like the design on the far left for the headstock
Cordoba CP110

Christopher Langley

double post

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:59 am

double post
Cordoba CP110

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:50 am

Made a nice saddle and nut strings loosely on but waiting until tomorrow to tune her up.

Pegs are a little tight and not set as deep as they need to be. Tried to go as shallow as posable but need another 1/6" of penatration.

Replaced about half the frets after I had the neck glued on causi couldn't stand them. Made a little tool to straighten my coiled fretwire and it made a big difference.i should have changed them all.

Got my nut and saddle game on! But are a little tall at the moment but I'll wait a while under string tension before the final adjustment.

Action is 3.5mm on both e strings and 10.5 mm off the top at the saddle. I'll lose .5mm or more once she settles down.

HR

image.jpeg

Return to “Luthiers”