ernandez Mk-III

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
ernandez R

Re: ernandez Mk-III

Post by ernandez R » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:32 am

Decided to add some black walnut diamonds around my simple band rosette detail of one top. Might do the other two tops that way.

I ground up the end of a file to be just short of the diamond side length and polished it. It worked better then I thought it would. It was harder to make the little diamonds. I took a .032 slice of the block of walnut, made a couple 1/4" wide strips off of the to the table saw, then made a simple jig for leanth and square and used a short piece of fine tooth hacksaw blade i ground the sides flat and smooth for an easy and clean cut. Guessing the saw blade is about .020 thick. I,fit the wood plugs tight and taped them in with a small soft faced hammer. Thin CA them in place and then off to the sanding box I built the other day.

Last foto should be my groov cutter hole cutter. The groov cutter is a separate block with the inner diemeter on one side of the block and the outer on. The other end.

I put some water on top in one foto to bring out the grain and wood colors.
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:52 am

I know I keep commenting, but that is too cool man.

I've never seen that done.
Boom boom boom boom.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:57 am

Decide my diamonds needed to be more diamond like.

It would be a lot easier to,stick,with little round dots ;)

I have one more top to do up. What will I think of next?

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:44 pm

Oh man! Too cool!

The old diamonds were cool but these new ones are even cooler, they -really- draw the eye. So unique, I love it man.

Keep up the good work! I can't wait to see what you come up with next. Inlays around the rosette? Brilliant mate.
Boom boom boom boom.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:33 am

Not sure how I double photoed this post.

I really like the dot thing.

To,be honest most of the rosettes o,see I can't see because the work is so fine. I need glasses to see which string I am fingering. ;) I guess it's part of the "classical" haritage but I figure I have enough Spanish haritage myself that I can make a new legacy...

image.jpeg
f
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Last edited by ernandez R on Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:40 am

Not sure if you can tell but I put a couple quick coats if shallak on the tops to keep them tidy while I,put them together. Next is sound,bars

Dots sure are easier then those darn triangles. Not as cool although each has its own energy.

HR
image.jpeg
Last edited by ernandez R on Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:44 am

image.jpeg
Shaped up top and bottom braces. I use the sanding drum with a backstop to,set the thickness of the end tang and there is another stop to limit its leanth. I use the drum to clean up the edges and round the top of the cutout so it is nice and smooth.

I use the same setup but set the drum at zero from the backstop to chamfer the sound bars to a smooth thin end.

Mid photo showed my sound bar layout. It's a little different but mostly stolen from Bert Endeck's of the Neatherlands website.
Going to try a long sound bar from under the first string/e all the way to the top of th sound hole under the aft brace but stoping just short of the forward brace. It's not that I have any idea what I'm doing but I'm doing something :)

HR

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:22 am

Christopher Langley wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:44 pm
Oh man! Too cool!

The old diamonds were cool but these new ones are even cooler, they -really- draw the eye. So unique, I love it man.

Keep up the good work! I can't wait to see what you come up with next. Inlays around the rosette? Brilliant mate.
Thanx Brother. I'm,really having a good time building these.

BTW : the inlays on the top wood is hundreds of years old. The only thing I vanta seen is the inlayed ring of marble Corian o,used on the first build or the dots. Guessing it's been done before though.

HR

gjo

Post by gjo » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:40 am

Lots of things to look at in your posts. :bravo:

Did you already offer a sound clip in one of your many threads and posts?

It might be a question of quantity vs. quality in the end. :desole:

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:04 pm

gjo wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:40 am
Lots of things to look at in your posts. :bravo:

Did you already offer a sound clip in one of your many threads and posts?

It might be a question of quantity vs. quality in the end. :desole:
Gto,
To be honest I'm just having fun. I'm building multiple guitars as a way to make up for a lack of experience and time. I'm over fifty and most real guitar builders have that much experience. As far as quality goes I am certain most are confused about what quality is. We are making an instrument to make sound. It needs to have two fixed points to hold strings, a precise way to fret them and a box to resonate the vibrations in a pleasing way. To put it another way ask a blind man which guitar sounds better? Problem is ask ten blind men and most likly they will offer a different answer. In my world I find so many can not grasp the idea of balancing the time available against the quality neeed to accomplish the task at hand. I'm a mostly retired aircraft mechanic. I have repaired and maintained all manor of aircraft in which people's lives depend upon it. But my clients need to make money with their airplanes, wether it was the Boeing triple sevens I fixed or the mom and pop single plane operators out in the Alaskan bush; they didn't have time for gold plating and couldn't afford it. This is were I am coming from.

Yesterday I made up the braces for the top and bottom plates and it took me no more time to make all twelve then it did to make the four for one guitar. It's just how I roll. Now I just spent the better part of three days doing those dang topwood inlays so perhaps I'm all wet ;)

In my shop I always told my minions to crush the easy stuff so you had time to slow down when it mattered.

I want to build guitars people can play. Because I want them to sound really good they will not be robust beach party guitars. I won't dip them in plastic.

Years ago I found the perfect guitar, it was a solid top built in Mexico, I don't recall the maker, that cost $580. I shopped every guitar shop in Washington state and played a hundred or so and kept coming back to that one it sounded and played that good. It burned up in a fire. I've been searching for that guitar for fifteen years but no joy.

I knew I could out build anything fond in your standard guitar store outlet and I did. How does it sound? Ha I couldn't tell you but I can tell you it doesn't sound like one of those factory guitars. To be honest I haven't had anyone play mine but every once in a while I'll lean my head over as far as I can and I get a surprise at the tone I am hearing. Let me practice the few pieces I used to play years ago and then I'll record one.

Playing with sound bars this go around. I laid them out this evening with a mind to connect them to the bridge differently then I had before and I am extending the treble side sound bar farther forward. I'm trying to brighten her up some. I really have no idea what I am doing but that could be a plus, not being too constrained by tradition for triditions sake.

Ya, I keep quality in mind but while trying to focus on what really matters which righ now is really basic.

HR

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:51 pm

Loving it.

I, for one, have no doubt the guitars are going to sound quite excellent. I have faith in the wood and faith in Ernandez to be able to produce a nice guitar that doesn't get in the way of itself.

I think his approach is clever. If he makes 3 guitars at a time he can learn 3 times as much, if not more!

Eagerly awaiting sound samples

It doesnt have to be brilliant playing! Just show us some notes and chords! I bet it sounds pretty good :P
Boom boom boom boom.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:24 pm

Think I prefer the second diamonds myself. These rosettes are a touch reminiscent of the vihuela and their tiles.
Historicalguitars.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:55 am

image.jpeg
A truly bracing experience cutting up little pieces of wood into smaller pieces of wood: cutting trimming rounding and sanding. If the world continues to turn properly I'll have a top braced up and glued to a side. The boss suggested I make a couple more forms. I like how she thinks :)

Spent a good part of the morning working on the frets nut and saddle of the Mk-I. I was waiting for her to settle down. The nut was .025" to high across the board so I trimmed it down accordingly then another .006 on the e end cause I felt I could. Then I marked the top off all the frets with a black marker a la diekem blue and proceeded to file accordingly. I thought I had them really nice when I built up the neck but I was having issues with bar cords, I always have issues playing bar cords, and realized it needed some love. The saddle I had shilmmed up with four layers of light card stack .006" so I know I needed to make a new saddle that high. I raised the whole saddle highth but added another .005" under the 4th through 6th strings. Strung her back up and gave it a play. The action was so nice and low on the first position it was like learning to finger the strings again it felt so odd. In a good way of course.

HR

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:03 am

Michael.N. wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:24 pm
Think I prefer the second diamonds myself. These rosettes are a touch reminiscent of the vihuela and their tiles.
I could say I have you to blame for my foray into the baroque via the Chambre. To be honest I've always liked the look and find the features more pleasing then the commen Spanish rosset. To be more honest I might not have the patience or skill to construct the Spanish rosette, I sure don't have the eyesite. I have to wear a pair of ant burners and a headlamp as it is for most tasks.

Guess I could blame the baroque for the head stock vaneer I sketched the other night.
image.jpeg
HR

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:15 am

Looking good! Looking good!
Boom boom boom boom.

Return to “Luthiers”