ernandez Mk-III

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Re: ernandez Mk-III

Post by Christopher Langley » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:34 pm

*drool*

So jealous. Can't wait to see them done.
Cordoba CP110: RC Recital RL50 MT: Flesh

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:14 am

Christopher Langley wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:34 pm
*drool*

So jealous. Can't wait to see them done.
Chris,
Takes three times as long to finishe three ;)

Ok, not really but I'm taking more time to compleat each phase. Glued up the third fretboard and might fret the other two whole the glue is drying.
Aquired three 8 foot rolls of brass colored fretwire, it's going to look really nice against the oak Ftetboards.

HR
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:53 am

image.jpeg
Black Walnut headstock veneer. Middle one on foto is offset cause it tried to get away from me as I was slicing it off on the table saw. Had to do a quick finger check just to be sure after it happened. Still have ten ;) . I only had a small piece gifted to me by a local wood turner. To be honest I'm not sure it works all that well with the oak fretboard... We shall see after I use the last of the Walnut to,make,matching bridges.

HR
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:02 am

image.jpeg
Still haven't mastered the photo dropping here. Ivan small files, less then 900k don't go half the time. Best I can do is make them smaller by turning them to,B&W...

HR
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:51 am

Cut fret slots today. Photo of my rig using the band saw wouldn't post regardless of the tricks I tried.

Makes a nice clean cut. I just slot a pice of wood and then bring it around the back side of the blade to set the blade cut depth. I just mark the edge of the neck and feed it into the blade as squarely as posable.

I fret up most of one neck bit was battling the curve that the fret wire as it came in about a 14" roll... it took a lot of pressure to seat them. When I refretted my Mk-II the other day it didn't seem to be a problem...

HR
image.jpeg

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:49 pm

Well darn, this looks really nice in color :/
Added a quick wipe of linseed oil on the one against the gold colored fretwire. It will look stunning after about four more coats though. Have to wait until the neck is joined to the body so as not to contaminate e bond line.
image.jpeg
Well, had to take half a step backwards after fretting the first neck do to two factors: I acquired fretwire in 8 foot rolls about 14 inches in diameter and I had chamfered the edge of my fretboard slots. It seemed both conspired to make my frets want to tip as they entered the slot.

Turns out I needed to fully seat one end and then with my small plastic dead-blow hammer work them from that end to the other taking care to not impress the fret excessively.

I set up my vice with suitable blocking including a narrow strip of oak that was the cutoff from the fretboards. Guess I should have taken a photo. Anyway, once I tapped one fret in about 80% or so I took it to the vice and pressed it in completely. It took some finesse but not so much that I felt the need to walk back into the house for my ant burner glasses.

I tapped then pressed each fret into place one at a time. If I loaded more then one the other would bounce out as I was tapping the next into the slot. Fun times ;)

Once the frets are all in to my satisfaction I'll be working up the pegs or the neck to body blocking.

Way back in the back of my mind I've been contemplating a set of custom crafted machine heads out of aluminum using only the brass gears, cause I can't make them myself. Imagine something narrow and sleek but with a hint of old world: think antique aerospace.

I'm going to make pegs, the Boss reminded me of the limb from one of our crab apple trees that a moose had tore off last fall, think I'll take a look and see if it's suitable. I'll be counter boring the headstock from the back and placing plugs with parallel grain. At about a 20 deg (does that sound right?) angle so as to make the string angle/tension pull them tight. My first build has them 90 deg to the headstock and once they are loosened it takes some mindfulness while tuning so as not to have a spinner. It's important that the string is vary close to the headstock veneer to keep the angle sane; my Mk-I is not and will get a new set of string holes the next time I've unwound her. I think the hole should be no more then 5/16" off the veneer if not less.

Lunch is over and I've got other chores to attend to... of course after I buzz the strings for a few minutes.

HR

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:44 am

image.jpeg
Made up my end seam detail. Diamond one goes with diamond detail around rossere. I used the normal tapered style on the other two.

Melted one knob off a tuner set with a heat gun and made a wood knob just to try it out. Going to make them out of the black walnut once I get an idea about how I'm going to shape the wood. Mounting it on the post is fairly straight forward: cheep tuners so just a glue on post.

Going to fab new bodies out of aluminium and posts out of al as well.

HR

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:41 am

image.jpeg

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:31 pm

Too cool man

Too cool

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:49 am

image.jpeg
Neck-O-rama

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:43 am

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Glad to see you still making steady progress.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:16 am

Christopher Langley wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:43 am
Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Glad to see you still making steady progress.
Chris,
I keep at until my back tells me to stop. I could do 16 hours fi it wasn't for all the bad things I've done to my body over the years, no regrets of course as most of my pains were self inflected doing the things I love!

But man do I hate sanding ;) To be honest shaping the necks really is a Zen experience where you get to stop and feel the wood, make a cord, then file or sand some more. It's what separates a machine made guitar from a hand made instrument. Mine feels real when you take it in your hand.

I've got a budy who plays Flamenco who is coming up in a few weeks to trade some work to make one with me. Send me a PM if you are interested in coming up?

HR

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:30 am

image.jpeg
Sanded up a couple of the necks. Still in need of a lot more, trying to get rid of that bloated look in the heel.

Cut up some sound bar braces for the bottom plates. I use a radial pattern rather then the longatudanal strip down the middle. About 2.5mm dome. I'm going to try to keep the dome more centered on the lower bought with less curve in the brace aft of the sound hole and even less on the brace forward of the sound hole. This will also allow me to keep more fretboard thickness so I don't miss my string higth at the bridge as bad as I did on my Mk-II, you know the one I pulled all the frets and planned down 3.2mm at the twelfth fret to get things right. At least the neck is lighter now.

HR

EDIT: anyone catch how I started thinking top plate when I was really describing the bottom? My brain got ahead of myself ;)

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:35 am

image.jpeg
Shaped up my bottom plate tone bars. It was too sunny to spend much time in the shop ;)

Active bottom of course.

I should get them all glued on tomorrow if all goes as planed.

Listening to Sabicas, I think it's a recording from '57, thinking about how my unfinished guitars sound better in the evening, more so my Mk-1. Somthing to do with the moisture I suppose. It's so dry his time of year we keep a pot of water on the stove from morning until bedtime. There are days both my guitars seem to sound great and days when I'm not so sure. Might be more a function of them both being my firstborns. I'm waiting for spring and warmer weather so I can do the finish, just in case you were wondering. But on the other hand I like their nude nature. On the other hand, there is no other hand! (Someone quoted Tevia the other day)

HR

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:22 am

image.jpeg
Getting the backs ready to glue on!

Spent most of my day on my back,sewing up the belly of a fabric airplane, you know in the 10f cool Alaskan day ;)

HR

Return to “Luthiers”