ernandez Mk-III

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
ernandez R

Re: ernandez Mk-III

Post by ernandez R » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:58 am

image.jpeg
Fitting the back braces and readying the back plate.

Spent about 45 min pre fitting the neck angle and drilling for my three dawel attach. Photo wouldn't load :/

Now is the time I complete these three builds one at a time.

HR
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:38 am

First if the Mk-III ready to close up. I pre mount the braces so I don't have to worry about them. Of course I have to worry about them regardless.

Made a new plate glueing plate. Used foam around the edges as you can see. A couple wedges to make sure I get contact pressure over the braces. So far it works about a hundred times better then the other way I had been clamping the plates to the ribs. Put the heat on them and going to have supper, I'll head out in an hour or so and pull the clamp ;)

HR

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:06 am

Neck is just sitting there for show...

image.jpeg

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:10 am

The first Mk-III standing there unfinished in front of her sisters...

HR
image.jpeg

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:54 pm

Awesome!

I am really enjoying watching all your hard work evolve!!!
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:58 pm

Mollbarre wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:54 pm
Awesome!

I am really enjoying watching all your hard work evolve!!!
Thanx M.

I can hardly call it work though. My back begs to differ and I've sacrificed my right thumb nail a couple weeks ago, the middle about four days ago, and the index yesterday. Ive been working on my flesh technic.

Woke in the middle of the night running through my machine tuner idea. Besides building up the other two Mk-III this will be my next challenge. I'm going to fabricate aluminum frames, engrave, etc... Might try and plate them for a dusky pueter like finish.

Berrals I'll make out of 1/4" aluminium as well but I might make a set out of Corrian material with matching knobs; I'm fond of the varagated yellow myself but see the blue or green color as standing out more. I can also see the frames being annadized black or even red although the triditional gold makes more sense.

I might also provide a ball bearing for the string roller but the whole idea of making these myself is to save weight and use my low profile peg style headstock. I'm aiming for a 1100gm guitar.

Wish I could get the crown and worm gear in titanium... I'll have to look about.

To be honest I prefer the peg tuners but not many have the do.

HR

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:09 am

ernandez R wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:58 pm

HR
HR,

Have you considered planetary or geared peg tuners? They might appeal to you.
Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:20 am

Christopher Langley wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:09 am
ernandez R wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:58 pm

HR
HR,

Have you considered planetary or geared peg tuners? They might appeal to you.

I've looked at pegheds and the other brand, both are ugly as sin but to be honest I might go that way. Wanted to go all Roger daltry a few times when the peg spun around and ripped the flesh off my knuckles! I've made peice with them after modding them some but they still bite me now and again. My pegs are too close together and one can spin catch flesh between the other and before you can say intonation the other unwinds and gets you going the other way. It would be really funny if it didn't hurt so bad. Only had a grand spin-0-ramma once, you know, when you bump one and themshock of it lets the other five loose. It's good for developing the darker aspect of vocabulary ;) How we suffer for our art.

Planetary pegs are in the budget.

HR

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:28 am

image.jpeg
I pre fit the second neck today with 9mm at the bridge in mind. Basically I set the fretboard with frets at 4mm at the bridge using a straightedge. I will get about 1- 1.5mm lift when I bond the bridgeto the top do to the undercamber I sand into the bottom of the bridge. 3mm at the 12th fret means 6mm at the saddle. Should be perfect although I had to screw up the first two to figure it out.

I just back drill the three dowel holes without any measuring just the depth so I don't go all the way through. They will be a loose fit anyway so I can set the neck angle with precision and no oddball preload.

HR

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:20 pm

image.jpeg
Some days it's all about playing.

Vivaldi lute concerto in D. This version arranged for guitar by Vladimir Vasa.

Finely got a grip on two old pieces one of which I had down cold and the other I could play cleanly once in a while. Thought it was time to add a new piece for the new guitar. The boss suggested this one so I'm on it! Thirty years ago I could have sight read this. Can hardly recall the notes on the staff now...

HR

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:20 am

image.jpeg
Glued up the second bottom and while it was cure Inge fit up third neck. Took a couple photos out in the snow. Pity I couldn't get them all to load...

HR

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:50 pm

Still life with snow, guitar, and moose.
image.jpeg
Hard to tell but it is a femail and she has a belly full of little ones. Just walking through the yard trimming all low branches for breakfast. I was practicing a piece who's name I don't recall and my lady shot a short video of the moose snacking across the yard turned out a wonderful piece for the soundtrack mistakes and all.

HR

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:02 pm

Awesome! :)
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:10 am

Mollbarre wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:02 pm
Awesome! :)
M,

The cow, a female moose is called a cow, laid down in the yard to chew her cud and take an afternoon nap. I was walking out to my shop and there she was an hour later. Another hour later a budy stopped by to fix his sno-go and he points over that way to another cow with a small yearling calf laying there about thirty feet from the other. They move into town when the snow gets deep because of the plowed roads, the tasty arborage, and they instinctively know the wolves hate being around people.

HR

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:20 am

image.jpeg
Another body ready for a neck! Guess I better get them shaped up. I still to cut out the three bridges out of the black walnut. Still on the fence about pegs or mechine tuners I want to make. I could not get the aluminium I need locally so I need to order it.... Plenty to do though.

Glued up the third today,after,fitting up the bottom braces. Pulled it out of the clamping fixture and tapped it some. It has a thicker back then the two and sounds sharper, which makes sense. Have the first two in the house and have been tapping them a bunch. Hard to tell exactly what note they make front or back, only know they are vary different.

I really want to drag the Mk-I & II into the shop and get a finish on them and some other corrective action. Might have to wait until I get one of the Mk-III strung up first.

HR

Return to “Luthiers”