ernandez Mk-III

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Mollbarre

Re: ernandez Mk-III

Post by Mollbarre » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:03 pm

Nice! Great pics. We get the odd moose walking through the yard, but we're not really good moose county. Deer, on the other hand, I think they think they're pets....
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:04 pm

Got the third back glued on. I changed my clamping routine on this one for some silly reason and payed for it with a less then acceptable bond line. Lucky for me I have the glue film down for almost no squeeze out so it wasn't much of an issue to slide a thinned piece of hack saw blade I keep handy for nerrow kerf cutting into the slot to clean it up, more glue and a few clamps. Glued up mostly nice but not the perfect I was aiming for. Learning ;)

Waiting for the Boss to make the no more guitars in the house rule ;) figured the pot rack was the safest place to store them.

Note card is often how I start my day that and a bowl of oatmeal. Helps to have a focus. There is another notecard with the big letters: FPN, first position notes. Hard to fathom how my brain is fighting my will to drag sight reading back into focus. Not sure a note card is going to help but then again I made up a stack of flash cards out of them with notes on the staff. In my mid fifties and I refuse to give up ground.

Aiming for a different peg knob shape and thought I might incorporate an inlay to match the top inlay of each one.

HR

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:17 am

Changed the vertical curve of my neck bottom. More curve and less bloated look. Of course more sanding :/

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:21 am

Love your peg concept...
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:43 am

Mollbarre wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:21 am
Love your peg concept...
Thanx.

Every time I come up with a new idea it moves any thought of completion way down the tracks ;)

To be honest less like a train then a merry go round as I go from pegs to tuners to making my own tunneres, to planaterry pegs: round and round :)

HR

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:23 am

Made four bridges out of black walnut mostly with a table saw. Chisel off the ends and then sand the wings. Weighed the one mostly finished and it's 14g it will take a little more sanding to clean up but I doubt it looses more then a gram or two once I radius the bottom of it to match the top plate dome. Guessing I'll finish it with a couple coats of linseed after glueing them on. Just might add an inlay into,each wing to match the rosette inlays of each top but for dogs sake I want to complete them and not get carried away. Ha ha ha...

HR
image.jpeg

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:09 am

Was in the shop this evening showing my copilot the bridge. Pulled out a bag of them I made a couple months ago and while they were laying there she mentioned how it would make a nice photo. She is always right :)

I was trying the different color bridge cause I'm having doubts about the darkness of the walnut...

image.jpeg

Matthew Masail

Post by Matthew Masail » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:05 am

Looking great

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:55 pm

No bridge too far ;)

image.jpeg

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:59 pm

I think the dark walnut looks great.
Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:18 am

Christopher Langley wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:59 pm
I think the dark walnut looks great.
Yes, I think you are correct. It's was just that when I first laid it on the bare white spruce it looking shockingly out of place. Also,think it looks Incongruont with the gold frets and the oak fretboard.

Not going to let myself worry about it.

Cause I'm worrying about how I'm going to inlay the bridge wings...

HR

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:21 am

Matthew Masail wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:05 am
Looking great

Thanx Matt.

New shop helper showed today to,help,around the place and already he is super stoked to build a guitar. He is in the shop right now dressing up one of those bridge blanks after the chisel sharpening and use tutorial. Getting busy around here now and having a hand means more time at the guitar bench!

HR

Matthew Masail

Post by Matthew Masail » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:16 am

ernandez R wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:21 am
Matthew Masail wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:05 am
Looking great

Thanx Matt.

New shop helper showed today to,help,around the place and already he is super stoked to build a guitar. He is in the shop right now dressing up one of those bridge blanks after the chisel sharpening and use tutorial. Getting busy around here now and having a hand means more time at the guitar bench!

HR
That is fantastic I hope it works out well with him ! I have had no luck finding competant help it seems hard to find dedicated people.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:04 am

Made a recording this evening of my first build. Stage fright with only my laptop watching...

HR

viewtopic.php?f=116&t=126480&p=1345561#p1345561

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:35 am

image.jpeg
Roughed up and fit a set of pegs from a strip of hickory I had laying there on my bench... I didn't have my phone handy to take photos. Made a new peg scraper and got the agle perfect first try.

Punched the handle pin out of my new 30-1 taper ream and chucked it up in my drill press. Angled the hole toward the nut about 8 degrees to help keep the pegs in under tension.

Pre drilled the holes from the front. Took a flake off the headstock vaneer with the ream on the first hole, chamfered small end of ream and moved forward. Dropped said flake onto the floor and spent about twenty minutes on my hands and knees. Only found it after pulling off my apron and walking towards the door.

Now I'm ready to glue the neck onto the body. Guess it is obvious I'm just glueing the neck/fretboard assembly to the body: epoxy and three 3/16 dawels.

HR

Return to “Luthiers”