Matthew Masail wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:16 am
ernandez R wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:21 am
Matthew Masail wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:05 am
Looking great

Thanx Matt.

New shop helper showed today to,help,around the place and already he is super stoked to build a guitar. He is in the shop right now dressing up one of those bridge blanks after the chisel sharpening and use tutorial. Getting busy around here now and having a hand means more time at the guitar bench!

HR
New helper lasted one week :/ he wasn't for the guitar shop so much as all the other protects around our spread. Help was going to enable my guitar building though...

I'll keep looking.

Anyone want to come to Alasaka and work we have a listing on Coolworks and Workaway dot info. Village of Talkeetna. Or pm for info.

HR
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

ernandez R

Re: ernandez Mk-III

Post by ernandez R » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:27 pm

Not sure I like how they look but the wide handle will make twisting them easyer

HR

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:39 pm

Still infinitely more attractive than machine tuners :)
Let there be songs to fill the air.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:42 am

Christopher Langley wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:39 pm
Still infinitely more attractive than machine tuners :)
Chris,
Glad you think so. I am not sold on them yet... I have a system that doesn't take a laith to turn them that is fairly quick and I enjoy the process. I really wanted to do the small square diamond inlay into the peg handle part to match the top inlay but couldn't figure out a sensible way to do it.

Couple of things happened to make the pegs happen, mostly I didn't get to my machine head project and I had a new 30-1 taper ream I wanted to try out and I like the idea of not having to buy stuff for these builds and where I am it's not like i can drive down to the music store.

My current bottleneck, well besides all my other projects and a back that is refusing to cooperate, is my lack of suitable guitar cases. I have a resonable idea about constructing one. Il just add it to the list ;)

HR
Last edited by ernandez R on Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:54 am

image.jpeg
Neck and bridge install on the first Mk-III

I still don't care for the black walnut bridge... it's on there so I guess it doesn't matter. Let's see how it looks after a few coats of shellac . Now that the neck is glued on I can get a few coats of linseed on the fretboard. That should help.

Mostly I'm going to get the nut and saddle fit. Right on target for 10mm or a touch less at the saddle with 3e/4E mm at the 12th.

I'll string her up in the AM.

Oh, without the nut and saddle and strings: 870gm!

She will be the lightest of the three as I used a fretboard that was much thinner then the others. It was a piece I thought was waste but hated to toss it in the trash so I decided to use it.

HR
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:34 pm

Dude beautiful.

Can't wait to see them finished.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:50 am

image.jpeg
Finished up the pegs and added a coat of linseed oil.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:56 am

Fitting the nut and checking the action.

I fit the nut by first filling the e string notch idealy 5mm from the edge of the board and about 3mm for the Wound E.

Then I devide the space between them by five. I measure from the e groov for the other four notches but cross checking from the E side, I then use a welding torch tip cleaner set, the long one, to get my grooves just the right diameter.

Highth 11mm at the saddle raw but I'll get .5mm lift on the bridge and about the same on the neck after a few days of string tension. I'll let it settle them drop the saddle accordingly.

Nut is about .75mm too high but I'll also let her settle down for a week or so before I get carried away. I like to get this as low as posable but find I need to keep the 4string a little higher then the others wound ones. I should just play softer ;)

I am not happy with the frets on this board. Rubbing in a couple coats of linseed oil it became obvious I didn't get these seated as nice as the others. Other observation is I need to wear my glasses all the time now...

Forgot to mention my string gap wedge. Super handy and I've not seen one used in luthiery. Have you? Action using the straight edge from the first fret to a 11mm saddle is a little low for my taste but it will lift some once strung. I hit the strings fairly hard so I need 3.2e/4Emm to play clean and the lower tension strings string sets wiggle around a lot more.
image.jpeg
Last edited by ernandez R on Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:58 am

Wow, linseed oil really brought out some nice color in them!

Thanks for the progress updates! So neat. :bravo: :merci: :bye:

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:02 am

Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:58 am

String party this evening!

Ya, but it's a little too orange for me... I never look at the pegs when I'm jamming ;)

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:05 am

Here she is waiting patiently for those Augistine Blacks.

Wish I was patient enough to do the final sanding and finish. Waiting for warmer weather with is here about a month too soon already.

HR
image.jpeg

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:10 am

Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:58 am

Forgot to mention: I think the black walnut bridge/headstock veneer would look a lot better with plain nickel frets... The Boss gave the go ahead for a Jascar fret order. Going for the jumbo, but not the super jumbo, version. The #57110 and think I'll get some EVO gold and standard nickel

Matthew Masail

Post by Matthew Masail » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:16 pm

ernandez R wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:05 am

Wish I was patient enough to do the final sanding and finish. Waiting for warmer weather with is here about a month too soon already.

HR

image.jpeg
Very exciting! 870grams is really light! .. are your b&s woods low density ?

I too wish you would varnish them ! I wonder was is it that you dislike about the Walnut ? When finished with dark shellac it can look very close to Indian rosewood .

Matthew Masail

Post by Matthew Masail » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:20 pm

ernandez R wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:42 am

My current bottleneck, well besides all my other projects and a back that is refusing to cooperate, is my lack of suitable guitar cases. I have a resonable idea about constructing one. Il just add it to the list ;)

HR
I have a similar problem, probably not as bad as you simply that most good cases here are geared towards acoustic and electric. hoping I might be able to get some Hiscox casses for a local luthier but he might only have ones for electric guitars. I still need to call him.

There is a great video by Tomy Hovington called "How to Make a Vintage Looking Instrument Case." I do have an upholstery shop at my disposal... but I'm also quite busy and would rather spend the time making guitars... If I can think of a simply enough way to make a good case I might give it a go.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:48 pm

Matthew Masail wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:16 pm
ernandez R wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:05 am

HR

image.jpeg
Very exciting! 870grams is really light! .. are your b&s woods low density ?

I too wish you would varnish them ! I wonder was is it that you dislike about the Walnut ? When finished with dark shellac it can look very close to Indian rosewood .
Matt,

Ya, back and sides and everything else actually.

The top back and sides as well as the fretboard where all cutoffs just a little too thin for use but knowing I was still in the just figuring out stage I chose to use them.

I made three sets of wood and everything and made the first with the least desirable pieces saving the best for the third. I used the first one as the first stage of each process so it is the least appealing...

The peg headstock etc saves a lot of weight. Fretboard 3/8" to 5/32 at the sound hole saves a lot of weight.

I did make a cosance effort to trim the fat on every piece aiming for 1100gm like my first build. I was shocked when I put her on the scale without strings and nut.

My back and side wood are actually cotton wood, not he aspin I was told previously, same for the neck and headstock but I put a full depth spine on birch 1/4" thick down the middle.

The improved pegs are like butter and my wide load handles on them help with some nerv damage issues I have with my index finger.

The nick lifted more then I thought it would and the walnut rotate more hen I thought it should. I compasated 1.5mm e /2mm E at the saddle so it sounds right on at the 12fret, as well as I can tell anyway.

So after a day of playing a couple hours here and there I can say she has some majic the first two builds did not, I'll give it a couple more hours for that big opening up my first two had after a few more hours of playing.

Forgot to add: 901gm strung up in the white!

HR

Return to “Luthiers”