ernandez Mk-IV the Flamenco

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
ernandez R

ernandez Mk-IV the Flamenco

Post by ernandez R » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:57 am

image.jpeg
It doesn't look like much but it's a 11 foot long, 11 inch wide, 3/8 thick board of well seasoned, 20-30 years slice of mostly quarter grain White Birch. It's going to sing.

An old employe of mine has taken to Flamenco and wants to come up and help make a couple with me. Says he loves to sand ;)

No idea what plan i entend to, use but I am open to suggestions.

To be honest a plan on using this Birch for my Clasical side and backs as well but this was the first piece I moved to my shop. I have weighted it down to let it get used to not being outside. It had been in a covered outside wood rack for a long time.

I am really excited about using this material! It is way more "tone wood " then the Treambling Aspin I've used for the first five bodies.

H R.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Re: ernandez Mk-IV the Flamenco

Post by Christopher Langley » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:50 am

Heck yes.

Looking forward to watching this develop!

Thanks for sharing another build. I wish more luthiers would do the same.
Cordoba CP110
https://youtu.be/AJsinZ8LLhE

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:18 pm

Still just wrapping my head around the Flamenco build but I've been eyeing the plantilla I drew up with a mind to change it some.

Wouldn't mind some input from the builders on this forum. Lot of amazing talent concentrated here.

Wrote the following as part of a PM to another member this morning and though it was relavent:

Can't get my mind off the next series I'm developing. Flamenco! Just a touch of body shaping difference, a little more round on the top and bottom and then thinning the body to compensate for the volume change. Super thin sides: 1mm/.040" and super thin back 1.5"" / .060" ! I want it to sing like a sperow and grawl like hungry dog.

I really wanted to increase the lower bought width but I can only saw 7 & 7/16" inch width for the top and bottoms. A poor reason to compromise an idea. The side and back wood I will be using, some 30 year old Birch, has been taking up room on my shop floor with some weight on it to flatten out a little cupping, is almost ready to cut up into side and back blanks. It's a much more musical wood then the Aspin I've used so for for backs and sides but it's not as friendly to work on.
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:24 am

Drew up the plantilla for the Mk-IV Flamenco this evening! Been a busy week so not as much fun in the shop, well not on the guitars anyway.

Used the previous drawing for a base: lowered the waist I bit, rounded the top bought shoulders just a touch, lowered the bottom bought wide point and filled out the lower bought at the same time, leanthened the lower bought 10mm, lowered the bridge saddle location 5mm.

660mm scale.

I have much to do with the three I am constructing but I can't get my mind off this project.

HR

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:41 am

Awesome!

I liked seeing the progress on the mk IIIs too.
Cordoba CP110

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:15 am

image.jpeg
Tooled up to resaw and made up two sets of tops, bottoms and sides for my flamenco build.

The spruce is lighter then my last build although I've yet to get them on the scale and feel stiffer longatudanly. Blue color is from Glaicer till dust that gets blown around when it gets dry. There is a clay in the river beds around here that are all blue and of course after a heavy rain or spring sun off them three rivers that confluence here all have that Glaicer blue tint.

The back and sides are of birch. The sides are fairly plain but the backs have some nice figuring.

I might take them over and have at a plainer rather then spend a day sanding them. I just don't do the wood plane thing.

HR

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:53 pm

Gonna make a gorgeous guitar. I absolutely love the woods you've picked out.
Cordoba CP110

Christopher Langley

double post

Post by Christopher Langley » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:53 pm

Double post
Cordoba CP110

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:30 pm

Christopher Langley wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:53 pm
Gonna make a gorgeous guitar. I absolutely love the woods you've picked out.
One could say the the wood picked me. I am incredibly fortunate this wood is available to me. All luck. In a way it seams wrong to cut this up. The plank of birch was almost 11 feet long and I was only able to get two sets of back wood and two sets of side wood out of it do to knots. It sat there under a covered wood rack for a few decades and I am sure Johny Baker had milled it for a purpose. He passed away last year and I never made the effort to talk to him about wood, flying, or the Alaskan life we both obviously love. The house I live in he built and milled every piece of wood in it from the floor joists to the spruce shiplap ceiling.

From the plank of spruce I was able to get three blocks in which I will get eight sides out of, twelve complete tops. The set you see above actually has a spruce beetle bore in it that fell within the sound hole. Lucky!

I am really set on building with locally harvested woods. I have a plan to get some wood put up for the future, who knows might not even be mine.

HR

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:47 am

Got my home made 24" drum sander going today!

This is the birch back and side wood after sanding: sides 1.7mm and back 2mm. Both will get thinner with some sanding and scraping.

Laying there is black walnut and lacewood just to see how I would like the look.

Still not sure if I am going to stick with my radial sound bar top and active bottom or just brace up in a standard Flamenco. I'm going to prep up a couple necks but I might use spruce with a birch spine on these two.

Choices choices...

HR
image.jpeg

Matthew Masail

Post by Matthew Masail » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:23 pm

Awesom!! Very nice wood there. That drum sander is doing a great job, looking forward to the build

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:43 am

Matthew Masail wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:23 pm
Awesom!! Very nice wood there. That drum sander is doing a great job, looking forward to the build

Matt,

On another thread you mention building a Flamenco next. Any idea which flavor/ plan ?

To be honest my builds have a goodly amount of dirty dog grawl but my aim is a lot more. going to just stick with my planfrom but thin the sound bars a lot, make them a th longer, and use the floating back braces I used on my second build. Lower string higthth on top: 7/8mm. Aim for 1000g but the birch I'm using for the B&S isn't light like the Cotten wood on my other builds.l am already making < 15 gram bridges.

HR

HR

Matthew Masail

Post by Matthew Masail » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:44 am

ernandez R wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:43 am
Matthew Masail wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:23 pm

Matt,

On another thread you mention building a Flamenco next. Any idea which flavor/ plan ?

To be honest my builds have a goodly amount of dirty dog grawl but my aim is a lot more. going to just stick with my planfrom but thin the sound bars a lot, make them a th longer, and use the floating back braces I used on my second build. Lower string higthth on top: 7/8mm. Aim for 1000g but the birch I'm using for the B&S isn't light like the Cotten wood on my other builds.l am already making < 15 gram bridges.

HR
Not really aiming at a particular plan, but I'll probably brace it similar to a Santos Hernandez. According to the Gore book there is more than one way to get that explosive percussive sound with low sustain and maybe dirty dog growl as you put it lol Low mass sides and back are one way, which he prefers, allowing the energy to escape from the top very quickly, so low mass linings too. In that sense he notes Cypress or similar low mass would is essential. This is of course for a "Blanca" sound, denser wood might make a instrument which is a little more versitle. The other way to get low sustain and percussive sound is to thin the edges of the sound board making it more flubby... In not sure what I think of that one. Obviously a balance needs to be created. I noted to myself that the Santos has mostly straight fans and thus low cross grain stiffness, which seems to fit the idea for me.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Fri May 17, 2019 7:19 am

Glued up a pair of tops and a pair of backs for my flamenco build, just two up this time Tops are our local Black Spruce and backs are Birtch.

Photo shows my shooting board only instead of a plane I am using an old level with sandpaper on the side. As one of the photos shows I draw a line down the middle of each edge and sand until the lines are gone.

The tape came from a building vidio by... Let me see, his name will come to me in a moment... Well perhaps not :(
Super simple and works really well with out all the bother of clamps and rope etc.

I'm super excited to get them unwrapped and back into my drum sander.

Wanted to get the sides bent tonight but other commitments kept me away from the bending iron.

Pablo Requenia that's the guy who made the plate joining vidio, same guy who is doing the French polishing vidios who I like the best.

HR

image.jpeg

Matthew Masail

Post by Matthew Masail » Wed May 22, 2019 9:53 pm

looking good! have you decided on a bracing strategy yet? the radial layout I see about?

Return to “Luthiers”