NGD: Spanish Guitar from c.1870 by Garcia

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
RobMacKillop

Re: NGD: Spanish Guitar from c.1870 by Garcia

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:04 am

Stephen Faulk wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:36 am
I was thinking last night how you landed a guitar probably equivalent to many Torres guitars in quality and type of sound. Record with it, it sounds great. Cut it up for the Brazilian? Stupid, Brazilian is overrated.

Try shimming the loose grip with a slice of paper.

Probably wouldn’t hurt if Bill cleaned it a little and put clear blondefrench polish on it. I like the guitar a lot.

I'm no more amazed that I have this guitar than when he turned up on my doorstep with it. What are the chances? He had gone to the local guitar store, asking them to restring it before he tried to sell it. They put high-tension strings on (sigh!) and suggested they show it to me. What can I say? I got lucky.

I'll see what Bill says on Wednesday when he visits. Knowing Bill, I imagine he will be loath to touch it. If it ain't broke...

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:07 am

Bill is far too self effacing, he’s very good.

Are you still recording your video with an iPhone! If so are you using an iOS external mic?

The sound is good. I’m looking for an iOS mic now to do sample recordings with an iPhone
Last edited by Stephen Faulk on Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:08 am

BellyDoc wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:25 am
BellyDoc wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:36 am
For looking beyond the tornavoz, have you considered a flexible utility endoscope?
RobMacKillop wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:29 am
That must be one of the strangest questions I've ever been asked :lol: The answer is I have not.
I suppose I always celebrate the achievement of a superlative, but I do intend it a serious question. I got an inexpensive one for about $30 that wifi's its image to my cell phone and it's found use in a number of settings. It's 8mm diameter. It might just get under the edge of the cylinder.
Sorry I dismissed the suggestion earlier, doc, but what you outline here makes it much more interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:08 am

Stephen Faulk wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:07 am
Bill is far too self effacing, he’s very good.
Agreed!

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:39 am

Well, Bill came and went, and fixed two of the three buttons. I'll try Jacek's idea of water on cotton balls around the ivory. But already I can play with more confidence on the instrument.

I've decided to record an album with the guitar, strung in gut and silk, with the provisional title of Homage to Cataluña, with a mixture of pieces you might expect, given that title, with some you might not have heard.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:01 am

- yes some moistening of elements of ivory or bone - if it was/is too dry - is the direction that we were following in conservation works. I am sorry I do not remember what oil we were using; water was OK in many cases but here please kindly mind that the axis are probably of iron, and iron+water = rust so if using water then please take care for keeping the iron axis as dry as possible.

Some 30 years ago I could be of better help - I would suggest to contact someone who has been doing conservation for many small shops/stands with old objects in London, Porto Bello Road...and to ask friendly people who that days were working in Museum in Perth - not that far from Edinburgh...

I keep my fingers crossed for success, this guitar is great find in today's world. It reminds me guitars played by former generations in my family, later they switched to Jose Ramirez..., unfortunately stormy history has wiped out these guitars from real world...they exist only in our memory today.
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Antonio Picado, model 62, 2018, Cedar/Madagascar Palosanto. Scale 640 mm. Doble Tapa.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:32 am

Thaks, Jacek. I'll be careful. Such a pity you do not have a collection of your family's guitars!

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:53 am

RobMacKillop wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:39 am
Well, Bill came and went, and fixed two of the three buttons. I'll try Jacek's idea of water on cotton balls around the ivory. But already I can play with more confidence on the instrument.

I've decided to record an album with the guitar, strung in gut and silk, with the provisional title of Homage to Cataluña, with a mixture of pieces you might expect, given that title, with some you might not have heard.
Yahoo!!! Look forward to that!!
"One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them."

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:22 pm

Good. One sale at least! :-)

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:56 pm

- with regard to this planned album "Homage to Cataluña": I wonder if you are also taking under consideration some pieces by contemporary composers ? I have in mind late Maestro Graciano Tarrago - father of virtuoso player Renata Tarrago
https://sheshredsmag.com/legends-renata-tarrago/
and: she was a no nails player !

One of best students of Maestro Graciano is my dear Friend, Maestro Eliseo Fresquet Serret, some of his pieces were presented here at Delcamp.
Antonio Picado, model 62, 2018, Cedar/Madagascar Palosanto. Scale 640 mm. Doble Tapa.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:22 pm

You must mean this guy: https://youtu.be/kl97lsBlB8Q :)

Renata is on my Players page: https://rmclassicalguitar.com/players/

I'll look out for Maestro Serret!

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:59 pm

- yes it is him - professor Graciano Tarrago; I belong to these who are under great impression of his educational activities - his Método graduado de guitarra still serves well some of us.
https://www.*** Commercial link removed ***/Método-graduado- ... 8480205199

my favourite compositions by Maestro Eliseo is Nocturno, from la Suite del Montsiá, the first part reminds me a musical picture of a city in siege so church bells ring alarm; then the infantry troop runs with help, etc., all this reminds me siege of Saragossa during Napoleon war in Spain (btw., this is how Spanish guitars went to Poland, but this is another story).

the whole suite is here

but recording is very poor :(
better recording is here

and there is several recordings of his compositions on YT.

P.S.
With regard to "Homage To Cataluña" I should tell on the beginning that Maestro Eliseo comes from Catalonia and lives there - he has been studying guitar in Barcelona and lives in Lloret del Mar...

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:04 pm

That would be cool, Rob, if you had some of Graciano's music on there. I have his method if you want anything out of it.
"One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them."

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:59 pm

Do you have his Method as a pdf, Tate? Or is it still published?

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:10 pm

This Method is still published, in my earlier post I have thouthlessly given link to it and it was rightfully removed. I apologise.

Return to “Luthiers”