Humid-dry-humid place for guitar?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Keith

Re: Humid-dry-humid place for guitar?

Post by Keith » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:46 pm

I looked up the humidity levels by month for Oslo and Stockholm and a swamp they are not. The humidity may be high in the winter but that is before it is heated which will dramatically lower the humidity indoors. Maybe posting the actual cities where the guitar will live might inspire those from those neck of the woods to pipe in.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:01 am

Keith wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:46 pm
I looked up the humidity levels by month for Oslo and Stockholm and a swamp they are not. The humidity may be high in the winter but that is before it is heated which will dramatically lower the humidity indoors. Maybe posting the actual cities where the guitar will live might inspire those from those neck of the woods to pipe in.
Hi Keith,
Right, the guitar may have to stay at Helsinki for a while. The humidity change is drastic there! Today it's sunny -2 and humidity level is 56%, tomorrow it's snowing 2 and humidity level is 88%!!!... The yearly average is also about 80%.
To send light into the darkness of men's heart, such is the duty of the artist. (Robert Schumann)

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:43 am

Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:01 am
Keith wrote:
Hi Keith,
Right, the guitar may have to stay at Helsinki for a while. The humidity change is drastic there! Today it's sunny -2 and humidity level is 56%, tomorrow it's snowing 2 and humidity level is 88%!!!... The yearly average is also about 80%.
I assume the guitar will be stored/played in a heated house. Correct? If so the humidity outside is not that relevant. If it is -2 deg outside, inside a house, say at around 20 deg, the humidity will be low and you have to worry about your instrument cracking because of drying out. I recommend keeping the guitar in its case, if you can't control the flat/house, and using a sound hole solution. Planet waves 2-way would fit perfectly - if in summer the humidity in the case should get a bit high, it will control that as well.

I am in the south of Sweden. We currently have 82% outside. In my house it is way below 40% and I have to humidify my instruments.

Keith

Post by Keith » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:15 pm

Arash, as the previous poster mentioned, the outdoor and INDOOR temperatures are important. Below is an on-line converter. For March, the average daily temperature in swampy Helsinki is -3.5C but the humidity is a raging 78%. However, warm that air to 20C and the indoor RH is below 20%. For summer months you should be able to get by with an in-case de-humidifier. I prefer EVA-Dry when only an in-case dehumidifier is needed. Even in the swampiest month, October, when the RH averages 89%, the outdoor air temp averages 8C. Warm that air to 20C and you are in the 40% RH range.

To use the converter, put in the Outdoor temp, Outdoor RH and Indoor temp and it will calculate the indoor RH for you. You can tweak it by putting in the other variables but they will not drastically change the outcome. The calculator works to show what will happen to the air when it is warmed. For the reverse, that is, air conditioning the air, I believe actual measurements are needed--or there may be another on-line calculator that does it.

https://www.lenntech.com/calculators/hu ... midity.htm
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:14 pm

I use Oasis Plus+ Case Humidifiers (2) for my GC82S. I have had no problems with leaking and the units attach magnetically. One attaches quite nicely to the compartment attachments near the head stock, the other to a metal bracket that slips over the side of the case near the upper bout. I also added closed cell insulating foam tape (Climaloc plus) to any small gaps between the case body and top. This helps to reduce moisture transfer. In the winter, I have no problem keeping the case around 50% RH when the room humidity drops to 30-35%. The effectiveness of the sealing is important as the case humidity drops to around 35% when the case has been opened for a couple of hours of playing and not latched shut.

I have not found humidity to around 75% to be any problem for the instrument. Higher...I don't know?
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:33 pm

joachim33 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:43 am
Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:01 am
Keith wrote:
Hi Keith,
I assume the guitar will be stored/played in a heated house. Correct? If so the humidity outside is not that relevant. If it is -2 deg outside, inside a house, say at around 20 deg, the humidity will be low and you have to worry about your instrument cracking because of drying out. I recommend keeping the guitar in its case, if you can't control the flat/house, and using a sound hole solution. Planet waves 2-way would fit perfectly - if in summer the humidity in the case should get a bit high, it will control that as well.

I am in the south of Sweden. We currently have 82% outside. In my house it is way below 40% and I have to humidify my instruments.
Good points, thanks!
To send light into the darkness of men's heart, such is the duty of the artist. (Robert Schumann)

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:34 pm

Keith wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:15 pm
Arash, as the previous poster mentioned, the outdoor and INDOOR temperatures are important. Below is an on-line converter. For March, the average daily temperature in swampy Helsinki is -3.5C but the humidity is a raging 78%. However, warm that air to 20C and the indoor RH is below 20%. For summer months you should be able to get by with an in-case de-humidifier. I prefer EVA-Dry when only an in-case dehumidifier is needed. Even in the swampiest month, October, when the RH averages 89%, the outdoor air temp averages 8C. Warm that air to 20C and you are in the 40% RH range.

To use the converter, put in the Outdoor temp, Outdoor RH and Indoor temp and it will calculate the indoor RH for you. You can tweak it by putting in the other variables but they will not drastically change the outcome. The calculator works to show what will happen to the air when it is warmed. For the reverse, that is, air conditioning the air, I believe actual measurements are needed--or there may be another on-line calculator that does it.

https://www.lenntech.com/calculators/hu ... midity.htm
:merci:

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:37 pm

Beowulf wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:14 pm
I use Oasis Plus+ Case Humidifiers (2) for my GC82S. I have had no problems with leaking and the units attach magnetically. One attaches quite nicely to the compartment attachments near the head stock, the other to a metal bracket that slips over the side of the case near the upper bout. I also added closed cell insulating foam tape (Climaloc plus) to any small gaps between the case body and top. This helps to reduce moisture transfer. In the winter, I have no problem keeping the case around 50% RH when the room humidity drops to 30-35%. The effectiveness of the sealing is important as the case humidity drops to around 35% when the case has been opened for a couple of hours of playing and not latched shut.

I have not found humidity to around 75% to be any problem for the instrument. Higher...I don't know?
Thanks, I think 75% is too much humidity for guitar. But ofcourse it depends on the wood and how it was made and workshop humidity.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:18 am

Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:37 pm
Thanks, I think 75% is too much humidity for guitar. But of course it depends on the wood and how it was made and workshop humidity.
[/quote]

In the long term, I would agree...my instruments have only been subjected to that level for a couple of days every now and then in the summer. As well, if the case is well sealed and kept closed, it doesn't get that high except when I play.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

Return to “Luthiers”