first rosette complete

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Matthew Masail

first rosette complete

Post by Matthew Masail » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:49 pm

Got around to finishing up my first rosette. it was quite enjoyable and also quite a learning process, it was a bit hard to be patient after a whole month playing with veneers while the back was already braced and the neck ready too. I have been dreaming about making guitars for years so the exciement level is high. I cut a corner with the tile between the chess boards, I wasn't sure how long I could make them before needing to shape a radius inti the tile itself, but I'm ok with it for a first guitar. like the way the lines seem curve, while they are straight. I think I will treat rosette making as a whole different game from now and make the motifs ahead of time, dedicating time just to that. that way I can mix and match motifs so to speak to suite the guitar I want to make.
IMG_20190224_005203.jpg
IMG_20190224_011956.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mollbarre

Re: first rosette complete

Post by Mollbarre » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:03 pm

Wow! That's awesome!!! :)
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

chrisb
Amateur luthier

Post by chrisb » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:16 pm

Good work. New original design, have not seen before.
Looks pretty good!
chrisb

Matthew Masail

Post by Matthew Masail » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:25 pm

:) Thanks guys! The design was inspired a little by Torres Fe18 and than by some old romantic guitars. after playing with some color I decided to go mostly black and white with just a touch of color (white limba wood which is slightly green in the middle), and focus on a design that is effective at a distance, yet not too simple.

mcote

Post by mcote » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:55 pm

I don't know anything about building guitars, but that is a nice looking rosette.

wombosi
Amateur luthier

Post by wombosi » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:45 pm

Very nice, man! Impressive and unique first rosette.
And a very similar experience to mine. Mine took at least a month or two of various iterations, mess-ups and re-excavating.
Enjoy the rest of your build.
Last edited by wombosi on Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

khs

Post by khs » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:41 am

I'd appreciate the idea of using limited palette of colors. It also used to be seen in early master luthiers' guitars.
Thanks for sharing. :D

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:40 am

I think it is a nice mix of materials and techniques. Something new, something old. Checkers anyone?
Seriously, the checkers are nice.
Is there anything you would do differently?
Steve

Matthew Masail

Post by Matthew Masail » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:33 am

Steve Ganz wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:40 am
I think it is a nice mix of materials and techniques. Something new, something old. Checkers anyone?
Seriously, the checkers are nice.
Is there anything you would do differently?
Thanks, I like them too, they are 8*8 so if anyone want to make pieces :wink:

I took me 5 attempts to figure out how to get stuff to align while gluing up misiacs... Thankfully I started with a diamond pattern so I only messed up one checkers log and have checkers for a couple more guitars already made.

As far as doing something deferently, I think this design turned out pretty well balanced so I will probably use it again, but the overall pattern has plenty of scope for flexibility, for example I made a rainbow pattern for between checkers, even cut the pink veneer myself but didn't like it in the end :? The outer rings could be supplemented on the outside, but the optical illusion from the black white boaders and overall clear geometric shapes I think I will keep. Not to say I won't design others, who knows.
This is my second design so to speak, the first design kind of just thought me a lesson about using color and sizing, so I cut it out.

One think for sure I will attempt to make ressets around a former with hhg instead of directly into the sound board.

Matthew Masail

Post by Matthew Masail » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:02 am

wombosi wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:45 pm
Very nice, man! Impressive and unique first rosette.
And a very similar experience to mine. Mine took at least a month or two of various iterations, mess-ups and re-excavating.
Enjoy the rest of your build.
Thanks man! Indeed mess ups and experimentations, tool making for thicknessing veneers and so on. Totally worth it! I feel like I jumped in the water and cut the learning curve in half by taking the time learn lessons the hard way.

Steve O

Post by Steve O » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:32 pm

Nice rosette and clean work! I, too, have only made one rosette and the process consumed huge amounts of time and beaucoup veneer $$$

ElPolaco

Post by ElPolaco » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:56 am

Very nice. I want to take a course to learn to do this.

Ziyad H.

Post by Ziyad H. » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:57 pm

Very beautiful indeed!

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:48 pm

Really nice and substantial rosette.

Seems many of the triditional patterns are too fine to be noticed in any meaningful way and in particular to the amount of time and effort in relation to the rest of the building processe.

Have to add though, the most zen moment I've had was chiseling out the slots for my simple three band rosettes. Really connects one with the wood top as a whole fibers of each grain line at the same time: summer wood and winter. I didn't use a router, only on my first build and did not care for it.

Keep up the good work and thanx for sharing,

HR
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

Matthew Masail

Post by Matthew Masail » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:20 pm

ernandez R wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:48 pm
Really nice and substantial rosette.

Seems many of the triditional patterns are too fine to be noticed in any meaningful way and in particular to the amount of time and effort in relation to the rest of the building processe.

Have to add though, the most zen moment I've had was chiseling out the slots for my simple three band rosettes. Really connects one with the wood top as a whole fibers of each grain line at the same time: summer wood and winter. I didn't use a router, only on my first build and did not care for it.

Keep up the good work and thanx for sharing,

HR
I agree, while I admire the work of very fine patterns, I think visual clarity is very important. They are not mutually exclusive though, James Lister's post over here of his leaf rosette is extremely fine and high clarity as well.

I am doing everything by hand at the moment, there is no doubt there is a connection created :) I really like your diamond rosettes too, quite effective.

Return to “Luthiers”