Intonation problems

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
edcat7

Intonation problems

Post by edcat7 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:43 pm

I have just started a new job in Monaco and so took my good beater guitar with me. I haven't played it in probably two years and have just discovered the fret board is just starting to separate. It is completely out of tune and I was wondering if new strings would help (something I'm loath to do) or getting the fret board fixed.

Alternatively it would be more cost effective to buy another beater.

Any suggestions? (Sorry don't know how to upload photos)

Ed
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

johnparchem
Amateur luthier

Re: Intonation problems

Post by johnparchem » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:13 pm

New strings are cheap, probably need them in any case. Can you describe the separation and what you mean by intonation problems. If the neck bent causing the separation, the action can be goofed, the path nut to saddle can be shorter both contributing to an intonation issue. I hate to say it, but you did say out of tune, but I am assuming you tuned the guitar.

Kent

Post by Kent » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:32 pm

Are you just posting to rub it in that you are now working in Monaco? 8)

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:31 pm

johnparchem wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:13 pm
New strings are cheap, probably need them in any case. Can you describe the separation and what you mean by intonation problems. If the neck bent causing the separation, the action can be goofed, the path nut to saddle can be shorter both contributing to an intonation issue. I hate to say it, but you did say out of tune, but I am assuming you tuned the guitar.
The neck looks straight enough to me and there's a crack beginning to show between the fretboard and the neck. The action is high and yes all open strings are in tune. It's just when I play any other notes it's totally out of tune.

Is it a simple (and cheap) job to re-glue the fretboard. It's a Giannini awn 31 which I got for a song, plays easily and sounds great for Bossa Nova.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:34 pm

Kent wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:32 pm
Are you just posting to rub it in that you are now working in Monaco? 8)
A job is never as glamorous as it sounds. I knew I'd be lonely so I took my guitar with me.

Return to “Luthiers”