Something unusual about Jason Vieaux guitar...???

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
User avatar
Ken Whisler
Luthier
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Parkville, MO

Re: Something unusual about Jason Vieaux guitar...???

Post by Ken Whisler » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:36 am

As to "-Something seems to be slightly off with the sound....", hard surfaces in close proximity to the guitar and the microphone create problems in the recording, a slight warbling effect which is the result of unwanted reflections of sound. The first time I recorded in a studio environment, I forgot my footstool and used my case to prop my foot up. 30 seconds into the first recording, the engineer stopped me and covered the case with a moving blanket.
Ken Whisler, guitarist and luthier

User avatar
Chris Sobel
Luthier
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 8:44 am
Location: Vancouver, WA

Re: Something unusual about Jason Vieaux guitar...???

Post by Chris Sobel » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:58 am

Dofpic wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:56 pm
He played at my house 18 months ago and there were no cracks at the time. This recording sounds very dry but trust me in person it sounds great. I owned a 1931 Simplicio(ex Rey del Torre) that was loaded with cracks(that were cleated) but was the best sounding and recording guitar I ever heard and was told to never repair the top to new as the sound might never be the same. The new owner owns a professional recording studio and tells me everyone who records on it tells them its the best recording guitar they ever heard.
It’s interesting, you probably saw the guitar up close but I remember thinking to myself when I was at your place that there was a pretty big crack in the upper bout on the right side as you look at the guitar. I even told my wife about it later that night... always hard to tell from a distance.

To the Op: Even if it did have cracks in it though, that’s par for the course if you’re traveling and playing like him.
I’ve seen a lot of guitars in much worse shape. Gernot’s guitars actually have thicker tops than many other DTs.
CE Sobel Guitars

printer2
Posts: 561
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 9:20 pm
Location: Winnipeg

Re: Something unusual about Jason Vieaux guitar...???

Post by printer2 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:20 pm

Don't really see much for cracks in the lower bout, who cares about the upper bout?
Fred

Stephen Faulk
Posts: 1236
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:27 am

Re: Something unusual about Jason Vieaux guitar...???

Post by Stephen Faulk » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:56 am

The lights on stages are spots and not diffuse- they show surface incident in high relief- those are were the braces are adhering to a thin top, maybe not even super thin. The braces are showing because of the light quality.

That kind of guitar playing on standards puts me to sleep, and the guitar isn’t that meaty sounding in the recording. But those lines aren’t cracks.

Put up a video of him shredding a difficult classical work with good sound with the same guitar. If the lights are spots from over head you might see the braces telegraph again. The floor doesn’t reflect enough fill light to illuminate the shadow the over head light casts, so you see the top with strong spot lights raking over the top at a very low angle. And there’s little counter lighting from below to fill the shadow.

That’s what’s happening, otherwise I like his work, just not in to Christmas songs.
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

Tom
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:40 am

Re: Something unusual about Jason Vieaux guitar...???

Post by Tom » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:56 pm

Many years back when he puts up his Fischer Taut on sale i was shocked to see now badly the top has wear and crack.

Dofpic
Posts: 1405
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 6:14 pm
Location: Whitefish, Montana

Re: Something unusual about Jason Vieaux guitar...???

Post by Dofpic » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:50 pm

I just heard the Fischer played by one of his best students at CIM Who won my competition last weekend. Several big cracks. I have heard two other Fischers that sounded better. But his current Wagner I have heard up close and it sounds great, but he could make a banjo have sparkling tone.
2006 Greg Byers(fan)2009 Eric Monrad(maple) 2018 Simon Ambridge Model 40 Satinwood. 2003 Tacchi Simplcio satinwood 2017 E. Bottelli 52 Hauser, 2002 Jeff Elliott spruce, 2017 Richard Reynoso, spruce/maple, 2015 Herman Hauser III(Cedar)2005 Tacchi Coclea

SteveL123
Posts: 1261
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:05 pm

Re: Something unusual about Jason Vieaux guitar...???

Post by SteveL123 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:25 pm

Stephen Faulk wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:56 am
The lights on stages are spots and not diffuse- they show surface incident in high relief- those are were the braces are adhering to a thin top, maybe not even super thin. The braces are showing because of the light quality.

That kind of guitar playing on standards puts me to sleep, and the guitar isn’t that meaty sounding in the recording. But those lines aren’t cracks.

Put up a video of him shredding a difficult classical work with good sound with the same guitar. If the lights are spots from over head you might see the braces telegraph again. The floor doesn’t reflect enough fill light to illuminate the shadow the over head light casts, so you see the top with strong spot lights raking over the top at a very low angle. And there’s little counter lighting from below to fill the shadow.

That’s what’s happening, otherwise I like his work, just not in to Christmas songs.
Are you referring to this part of the video? https://loopvideos.com/81f_pPeLMXE?from=349&to=360

Gernot Wagner also made non double tops. I know someone who has one (a 1998 I believe). If this was a solid top, why would Wagner put braces along the grain? Doesn't that defeat the purpose, which is to make the top lighter yet remain strong enough?

If this is a double top, the only way I can see that these "cracks" can develop is separation of the outer "skin" to the middle core. If there's no separation in this DT, and if these braces are placed along the grain, do you still think the braces could show through (as in the video) due to the lighting type/ angle?
Last edited by SteveL123 on Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robert e
Posts: 588
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:49 pm

Re: Something unusual about Jason Vieaux guitar...???

Post by robert e » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:22 pm

The one above the sound hole looks too irregular to be a brace. I think these are cracks. Whether finish or deeper I couldn't say, nor whether they'd have any effect on sound or structural integrity on a double top. When he switched to Wagner, JV cited the double top as part of the attraction, so I'm inclined to think this is a double, though it's possible he's bought other models since.

User avatar
Chris Sobel
Luthier
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 8:44 am
Location: Vancouver, WA

Re: Something unusual about Jason Vieaux guitar...???

Post by Chris Sobel » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:01 pm

It is a double top. It’s the second one he’s owned from Gernot.
CE Sobel Guitars

User avatar
Arash Ahmadi
Posts: 684
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:38 pm

Re: Something unusual about Jason Vieaux guitar...???

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:39 pm

robert e wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:22 pm
The one above the sound hole looks too irregular to be a brace. I think these are cracks. Whether finish or deeper I couldn't say... though it's possible he's bought other models since.
I agree, they seem like cracks to me too. He had a Brazilian that he sold as it wasn't easy to travel with (internationally) due to CITES restrictions... He bought the same DT model but with Indian rosewood and cedar-spruce top.
Becoming a great musician is about becoming a great human being.

Stephen Faulk
Posts: 1236
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:27 am

Re: Something unusual about Jason Vieaux guitar...???

Post by Stephen Faulk » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:57 pm

Who knows, cracks, braces ? The reason you can see them is the lighting.
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

SteveL123
Posts: 1261
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:05 pm

Re: Something unusual about Jason Vieaux guitar...???

Post by SteveL123 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:36 am

Of course you need lighting to see it. Tell that to a blind man. He can't see but he can feel it.

Tom
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:40 am

Re: Something unusual about Jason Vieaux guitar...???

Post by Tom » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:47 am

Dofpic wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:50 pm
I just heard the Fischer played by one of his best students at CIM Who won my competition last weekend. Several big cracks. I have heard two other Fischers that sounded better. But his current Wagner I have heard up close and it sounds great, but he could make a banjo have sparkling tone.
Sometime i just wonder as a claaaical player and not a flamenco player, how his guitars are all badly beaten with cracks all over?

Because of his frequent travel? But didn't he use a good quality case?

User avatar
Ken Whisler
Luthier
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Parkville, MO

Re: Something unusual about Jason Vieaux guitar...???

Post by Ken Whisler » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:19 am

Tom wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:56 pm
Many years back when he puts up his Fischer Taut on sale i was shocked to see now badly the top has wear and crack.
I saw him play that Fischer in a very dry and unforgiving hall, and he sounded superb on it.
Ken Whisler, guitarist and luthier

User avatar
Arash Ahmadi
Posts: 684
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:38 pm

Re: Something unusual about Jason Vieaux guitar...???

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:56 am

Ken Whisler wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:19 am
Tom wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:56 pm
Many years back when he puts up his Fischer Taut on sale i was shocked to see now badly the top has wear and crack.
I saw him play that Fischer in a very dry and unforgiving hall, and he sounded superb on it.
Hi Ken, that might be true, a cracked instrument does not play with it's full potential... I'm sure he would sound superb on a 50$ amateur guitar too. I was hoping that some luthiers could answer my questions.
Becoming a great musician is about becoming a great human being.

Return to “Luthiers”