Something unusual about Jason Vieaux guitar...???

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Ken Whisler
Luthier

Re: Something unusual about Jason Vieaux guitar...???

Post by Ken Whisler » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:36 pm

Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:10 am
On the other hand, as far as I know, Julian Bream, John Williams, Manuel Barrueco, etc. managed to have less or no cracks on their instruments although they were having decades of international tours.
Bream’s Romanillos has already been mentioned.

Segovia’s Hauser was in pretty sad shape near the end of its use.

Jerry Roberts (a close friend of Bob Ruck) told me that Barrueco’s famous Ruck had been taken apart and re-assembled by Bob a few times before Manuel switched to Damman.
A very good guitar maker once explained to me that because the top is supported by 2 layers (DT) and probably nomex, it is less likely to crack or change in any way due to humidity and weather change. That makes me want to believe that they are crack looking braces on JV's guitar as some luthiers explained but again they seem too irregular for that, so...
I’ve seen a few older, well played double tops that were delaminating.

Bottom line: a well played guitar that travels is going to show battle scars. When I get a guitar back for tweaking that’s been played hard and traveled far and shows it, I consider it an honor.
Ken Whisler, guitarist and luthier

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:14 pm

Scott Tennant told me he had a Dammann that was fantastic and like driving a Ferrari. Then after about ten years he woke up one morning and the guitar was just a normal guitar. No longer that race car. He has not owned a double top since then to the best of my knowledge.
2006 Greg Byers(fan)2009 Eric Monrad(maple) 2018 Simon Ambridge Model 40 Satinwood. 2003 Tacchi Simplcio satinwood 2017 E. Bottelli 52 Hauser, 2002 Jeff Elliott spruce, 2017 Richard Reynoso, spruce/maple, 2015 Herman Hauser III(Cedar)2005 Tacchi Coclea

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:01 pm

Dofpic wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:14 pm
Scott Tennant told me he had a Dammann that was fantastic and like driving a Ferrari. Then after about ten years he woke up one morning and the guitar was just a normal guitar. No longer that race car. He has not owned a double top since then to the best of my knowledge.
That's an interesting story, though I'm not sure if he meant the guitar has changed tone/color/sound or he no longer liked it. The latter seems more likely...
It seems like the same happens to some guitarists who switch to lattice. At first they might like the response and the whole different sound experience but one day they may no longer like it. On the other hand, John Williams had the exact opposite experience. I don't think he ever switched back to a traditional guitar after his Smallman.
Becoming a great musician is about becoming a great human being.

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:03 pm

Ken Whisler wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:36 pm
Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:10 am
On the other hand, as far as I know, Julian Bream, John Williams, Manuel Barrueco, etc. managed to have less or no cracks on their instruments although they were having decades of international tours.
Bream’s Romanillos has already been mentioned.

Segovia’s Hauser was in pretty sad shape near the end of its use.

Jerry Roberts (a close friend of Bob Ruck) told me that Barrueco’s famous Ruck had been taken apart and re-assembled by Bob a few times before Manuel switched to Damman.
A very good guitar maker once explained to me that because the top is supported by 2 layers (DT) and probably nomex, it is less likely to crack or change in any way due to humidity and weather change. That makes me want to believe that they are crack looking braces on JV's guitar as some luthiers explained but again they seem too irregular for that, so...

Bottom line: a well played guitar that travels is going to show battle scars. When I get a guitar back for tweaking that’s been played hard and traveled far and shows it, I consider it an honor.
Spooky stories. I would consider those guitars, veterans! :wink:

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:08 pm

Ken Whisler wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:36 pm

That's fishy, isn't it? A while ago a member of the forum had posted a picture of his Chinese lattice guitar, he had played the instrument and put it in the case. Next day, he finds the bridge detached from the top...

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:04 pm

Scott made it clear to me that the guitar had lost its vigor....

Arash Ahmmadi wrote...That's an interesting story, though I'm not sure if he meant the guitar has changed tone/color/sound or he no longer liked it. The latter seems more likely...
It seems like the same happens to some guitarists who switch to lattice. At first they might like the response and the whole different sound experience but one day they may no longer like it. On the other hand, John Williams had the exact opposite experience. I don't think he ever switched back to a traditional guitar after his Smallman. made it clear to me that the guitar lost its vigor
2006 Greg Byers(fan)2009 Eric Monrad(maple) 2018 Simon Ambridge Model 40 Satinwood. 2003 Tacchi Simplcio satinwood 2017 E. Bottelli 52 Hauser, 2002 Jeff Elliott spruce, 2017 Richard Reynoso, spruce/maple, 2015 Herman Hauser III(Cedar)2005 Tacchi Coclea

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:32 pm

Dofpic wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:04 pm
Scott made it clear to me that the guitar had lost its vigor....
Hmm...

Return to “Luthiers”