Fitting a golpeador

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Brandon Walker

Fitting a golpeador

Post by Brandon Walker » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I was hoping for some advice. I have a Herco golpeador, ready to go on a new guitar.

I am thinking of fitting it myself—is this a terrible idea? Is the bubbling issue more tricky than I seem to think?

Thanks for any advice.

josswinn

Re: Fitting a golpeador

Post by josswinn » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:45 pm

It's not too difficult. The advice here is useful: https://www.mundo-flamenco.com/en/infos ... eador.html

Cutting the sound hole out is probably the trickiest thing to do accurately if you don't have a circle cutter, but it can be done with scissors if you are careful and the pattern of the rosette tends to obscure any slight variation.
Joss Winn

geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Post by geoff-bristol » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:38 am

The problem I found was sourcing the film he is using - that type of double protected pre-glued film - in that size sheet ?
I'd like to do one guitar with a golpe - as then it can be the 'have a play' guitar when nephews come visiting !

Brittunculus

Post by Brittunculus » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:11 am

Are not the Herco ones pre-cut?
I recently bought two golpeadores from the Felipe Conde shop on line for a small sum and cut the sound hole with a craft circle cutter.
It is important to make sure there are no hairs or other debris on the top and to avoid trapping air bubbles. You get one chance to get it right.

StuMayes

Post by StuMayes » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:59 pm

I got the Ortola Electrostatic golpeador,a pre-cut top and bottom guard. No glue -which is a major bonus- and if it needs repositioning it just peels off fine.

GuitarsWeB

Post by GuitarsWeB » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:51 pm

Measure five times and cut once. Remember, don’t do it backwards/up side down

geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Post by geoff-bristol » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:54 pm

Thanks - found the Conde items ( little imformation on site - except size ! ) but good price.
Also - musicaladn.com in spain ( en ) have a variety of sizes - inc the electroctic Ortola types. Full size transparent stick on for 5 euro - post UK 6 euro ( 200 x 200 )
I feel on a domed top it maybe is best to lay two halves - with a narrow gap middle ? You only know its not laying flat until its too late !

GuitarsWeB

Post by GuitarsWeB » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:09 am

Go to YouTube and see if there’s a video

Brittunculus

Post by Brittunculus » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:46 am

You can fit two separate sections but it makes no practical difference to the sound of the guitar. The Herco plates are in two parts.

Return to “Luthiers”