Granada guitarmaker's association proposes a museum

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
John Ray
Luthier

Granada guitarmaker's association proposes a museum

Post by John Ray » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:25 pm

Yesterday (March 13) was the first day of the the exhibition of early guitars “Towards a Guitar Museum” in Granada. The setting is the absolutely sumptuous palace in Carmen de los Mártires close to the Alhambra. It will run until April 14 of this year. It is open Wednesdays to Sundays from 10am to 2pm. This show comes out of a desire to establish a permanent museum of the guitar in Granada (or anywhere else in Spain for that matter). Some very interesting guitars showing some of the hallmarks of the 19th century makers like the multi-piece backs, pear shaped body or the scroll.
John Ray
blog Great guitars of the past
facebook John Ray guitars

gjo

Re: Granada guitarmaker's association proposes a museum

Post by gjo » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:21 pm

Catalogue?

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:23 pm

Good luck. A great and laudable venture.

khs

Post by khs » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:25 am

A very interesting exhibition to see various antique spanish guitars.
Wish I have been there. :)

otirroz

Post by otirroz » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:02 pm

:bravo: Sounds like a great idea to me. I would love to visit a permanent guitar museum on my planned future trip to Granada. Good luck with the venture.

John Ray
Luthier

Post by John Ray » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:19 am

Hi Gerhard, We are trying to get the money for a late catalogue but the possibilities do not look good. I will take some pictures and a video one day.
John Ray

simonm

Post by simonm » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:56 am

The irony is that there are probably a few very good private collections in Spain whose owners would love to see them being exhibited but the owners are not wealthy people (makers, players) so there is little chance that they will ever become public. The two I am thinking of are not specifically Granada focussed but surely have quite a few from there.

I have often wondered if a something could be crowd funded - but am not sure how that would work as crowd-funding is not a way of getting running costs - entrance fees will never cover running costs as you can't charge more that a few euros for entry.

p.s.
There is a small museum in Almeria which is quite nice although the collection is not extensive. Romanillos used to have a lot on exhibition in Siguenza but the local council ran out of money so the exhibition closed. The casa de guitarra in Seville has a small room packed with interesting guitars and of course there is a collection in the music museum in Bracelona. I suppose thee are other locations but that is all I know about.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:16 am

Doesn't Ramirez have a small museum? I vaguely remember hearing something about that.

John Ray
Luthier

Post by John Ray » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:10 am

Gerhard, the exhibition is over. However, the latest my latest blog post contains the video and the photos that I promised. There are photos and a bit of information about each guitar. A video too is included. This is the closest thing I could do to a catalogue. https://johnguitar.com/exhibition-tour/
John Ray

gjo

Post by gjo » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:45 am

John Ray wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:10 am
Gerhard, the exhibition is over. However, the latest my latest blog post contains the video and the photos that I promised. There are photos and a bit of information about each guitar. A video too is included. This is the closest thing I could do to a catalogue. https://johnguitar.com/exhibition-tour/
John, many thanks for the link. The School of Granada definitely deserves a museum ...

BTW, Belgium was fine, only missing you.

Return to “Luthiers”