Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Beowulf

Re: string "jacking"?

Post by Beowulf » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:13 am

RJVB wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:52 pm
Beowulf wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:48 pm
Ahh...so was the term originally used in violin making?
Well, luthiers make lutes, no? :)

The link could be the violin A string which is (at) the reference pitch. What's more likely is that it's related directly to the ethymology of the term: the (full) range of notes. Which on a string could be measured by the number of positions between the 2 opposite ends of the part that can vibrate ... i.e. the sounding length.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/diapason
Well, yes...as well as guitars, lutes, etc. I was simply responding to the "translation" noted above. "Through all notes" also referred to the interval of an octave. The term has been used in a multitude of contexts and I am glad to learn another meaning. :merci:
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:57 am

diapason - the length of a stopped string

mensure - ‘scale’ length of a string- the working length unstopped

String jack? Why bother?

Mensure isn’t used commonly for guitars because we say scale length or string length depending on which we want to talk about. Mensure is a violin making term that correlates to scale length, but also means string length.

The mensure of a cello is the string length from nut to bridge as it was designed. If the bridge gets moved the mensure is out of register.
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:23 am

On a forum like this there is the added complication of international differences in usage. In some parts of Europe disapson is the fretboard and measure is the scale/string length (usually w/o the compensation). Looks at any of the Spanish tonewood suppliers sites for diapasones for example or German guitar sellers who will have Mensures of 650 for example. Most likely the in music theory they all agree but in everyday language everyone makes up their own meanings.

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:58 pm

Hah, about that: something interesting I just noticed on the packaging of Martin Magnifico strings. Apparently the German translation for classical guitar is "concert guitar". That can imply two things but I'm not certain I like both of them :)
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:22 pm

Klassische gitarre = Konzertgitarre...I guess no one plays concerts with other types of acoustic guitars... :lol:

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:38 pm

That, or any guitar used in concerts is a classical guitar O:-)

I guess this also begs the question if gig bags exist for classical guitars ;)
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:06 pm

RJVB wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:38 pm
That, or any guitar used in concerts is a classical guitar O:-)

I guess this also begs the question if gig bags exist for classical guitars ;)
:mrgreen:
Gig_is_Up.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:17 pm

Up or VP? <giggles>

BTW, the Dutch term for gig (in classical context at least) is "shnabbel" or "schnabbel" (never certain how to write it, seems of German origin). :)

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:53 pm

I had to open the guitar a few days ago in hunt of a buzz at certain frequencies (which I may or may not have fixed) so I had to reposition the saddle and an occasion to try a makeshift "jack" which I already carried around in my case:

This kind of tool can come in handy anyway and I can appreciate the play on words :mrgreen:

Anyway, the plastic part is a bit longer than the total string width at the bridge and has the right thickness and smoothness to slide up between strings and coverplate and take enough tension off the biscuit, move the cone (carefully) and then slide back the tool slowly.

So thanks at GerryM for giving me the idea! :merci:

Return to “Luthiers”