Better stock up on glitter for tone generator analysis.

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Stephen Faulk

Better stock up on glitter for tone generator analysis.

Post by Stephen Faulk » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:14 am

Kind of joking here, but don’t wash it down the drain after your career is over.

I worry about guitar making having an impact on the environment. The thing I worry about most is the global shipping, finished guitars, but more than that the shipping of materials. I’ve been thinking about tracking all the materials in a few guitars and breaking out how much and which resources it takes.

https://www.businessinsider.co.za/why-g ... B0f-0FuZNA
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

JohnH

Re: Better stock up on glitter for tone generator analysis.

Post by JohnH » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:07 pm

Some people use ground coffee instead.

Trevor Gore

Post by Trevor Gore » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:17 pm

:D . Tea leaves, poppy seeds, dried herbs are all "green" alternatives. And you can get them out of a guitar if they fall in!
Trevor Gore: Classical Guitar Design and Build

Pat Foster
Luthier

Post by Pat Foster » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:46 pm

Agreed. Awful stuff, especially the near-invisible fine-grained sparkly stuff found on greeting cards.

Richard Newman

Post by Richard Newman » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:45 pm

On the subject of guitars and the environment I was wondering what to do with the hundreds of old strings I have. If you're bored have a search for recycled guitar string jewelry. Some pretty impressive stuff out there! I also noticed a really nice garden hanging basket last summer, fashioned from and old cheap factory guitar.
Btw, coffee for me too or tea leaves, organic of course 😊

Alan Carruth
Luthier

Post by Alan Carruth » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:05 pm

One friend of mine used the dust from his table saw. It works well, and he's got an unlimited supply. I don't have a table saw, and bandsaw dust is too fine. I've joked about how guitar historians of the future could date the instruments from my shop by the mix of glitter colors lodged inside.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:46 pm

In Alaska we use iron pyrite and dynamite and if the face of our current demagogue doesn't show in the tailings bouncing on top of the box...

To be honest before I had seen glitter or what not used I turned my first build over and poured a quarter cup of calrose rice and plucked strings just to see what the wood would do. I didn't know it was a thing.

Half way toward the bottom of my second cup of coffee and I have to wonder if it doesn't make more sense to do the glitter thing after the guitar has been strung up for a month or so. Seems there are too many variables and trying to get any idea besides a baseline of sorts bouncing tea leaves off a bare board; a waste of time?

As for the sustainability of glitter, use rice, or better yet coffee grounds. You can buy that dog affaul stuff that comes in the generic red can. Or better yet go full green and recycle your tea leaves or what not after sucking the good juice out of them. Sprinkle them on the ground while damp and sweep up all the dust while you are at it. And don't forget wood shavings don't know about you but I toss about thirty gallons into the trash each month.

I'm not as concerned about shipping although it is an often neglected consideration in out out of balance world. By economic nessacity our transporters have found ways to carry larger and larger loads using less fuel and today a container ship or cargo aircraft might have less of an impact then say a galleon crewed with a hundred and fifty men polluting the ocean as they took months to cross the sea.

Picked up a cut off piece of lacewood the other day thinking I might use it for bindings. I am fairly commented to using locally harvested wood as an environmental and economic nessaty but I'm not going to get my strings all wound up by it. I have no idea where Lacewood comes from. Guessing the cheap frets I've bought come from India; oh and those cheap tuners, I'm sticking to pegs from now on.

In the end I believe our karmic scale gets more then a sprinkle of glitter to balance the load of **** humanity dumps every day. The piece of art we make goes into the hands of other Artest who sprinkle music on the good side of the balance beam, only unlike fake glitter or pyrite our craft creates gold.

HR
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

Alan Carruth
Luthier

Post by Alan Carruth » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:55 pm

We use Chladni patterns all the time to look at the modes of assembled boxes. Testing 'free' plate modes is an effort to get things right (whatever that is!) before you assemble the box, when it's easy to get at them. Since the 'free' plate modes are not simple predictors of what the assembled box will do, particularly in the low range where you can actually visualize things without a laser, it's difficult to 'prove' that they have any utility. As with 'tap tones' some of us still feel that they're useful, and can show some correlations between 'free' modes and overall 'quality' judgments of the final guitars. I avoid the use of the term 'science' to refer to Chladni tuning, preferring to call it a 'tech' version if the traditional 'tap tone' method. It's not that I don't think it could be scientifically shown to have some utility, it's just that nobody has done the experiments, which would be tricky.

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:27 am

Seeds, peanuts.... patterns with shop snacks.

I’m always busy but getting to track the materials shipping impact alone is something I’d like to have information about. Has anyone done that?
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

Alan Carruth
Luthier

Post by Alan Carruth » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:33 pm

Just took the time to look at the linked article. They're concentrating on plastic glitter, which is almost a 'microplastic' by definition, and quite harmful stuff. For what we do plastic glitter is useless. It's too low in density to settle well on a surface, and the static cling issue means that it doesn't form clear patterns. What we use is aluminum glitter. It has it's own drawbacks, of course, but it's not the stuff they're talking about.

My violin making teacher did run into one hazard with it, though. She was on a tour to England many years ago to demonstrate her methods, and brought some glitter with her. Working with maple and spruce she used black glitter. She got held up in customs at Heathrow for several hours because they suspected it was gun powder, and she an IRA terrorist. Although her maiden name was 'Malley', she was in her seventies at the time, and hardly fit the profile. Nobody thought to try putting a pinch in an ash tray and lighting it to see what would happen.

Return to “Luthiers”